MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surprised this is still open.

Off to see Coldplay tonight. Looking forward to quite a relaxing evening listening to relaxing music ... some say it's boring, but I need something to distract me from waiting to see the boys in TO in 11 days!!!! Hopefully Chris Martin has gotten some sleep and won't go off on a tirade that Rocky will defeat U2!!

PS - Green Day rocks!!! That Billie Joe knows how to write a great pop song!!!

BUT - my heart belongs to the boys :heart:

Just one thing to Coldplay:

"It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief"

Axver said:
The funny part is how so many people seem to have missed the point. There's nothing wrong with statements Bono made about how it was his opinion U2 had the same chemistry as great bands such as the Stones and the Who, and that U2 had the potential to be as big.

It seems the biggest point that is missed is how Bono is always hyping up the band's work.
("Joshua Tree won't be our best album ever, but it's the best one so far", "it's the sound of four men chopping down Joshua Tree" as well as the last two/three albums)

You don't think it was pretentious to think your band has the magic Beatles and Stones and the Who have at what, 23 years of age and 3 albums in?

At least now U2 has the back catalogue to back up the talk.

U2girl said:

It seems the biggest point that is missed is how Bono is always hyping up the band's work.
("Joshua Tree won't be our best album ever, but it's the best one so far", "it's the sound of four men chopping down Joshua Tree" as well as the last two/three albums)

You don't think it was pretentious to think your band has the magic Beatles and Stones and the Who have at what, 23 years of age and 3 albums in?

but U2 never once said they wanted to beat the stones or the who, in U2's words they did pay them a compliment by saying they felt they had the same energy to be AS big as them, but not to beat them, bono never once said mick jagger was his enemy, serious or none serious

KUEFC09U2 said:
but U2 never once said they wanted to beat the stones or the who, in U2's words they did pay them a compliment by saying they felt they had the same energy to be AS big as them, but not to beat them, bono never once said mick jagger was his enemy, serious or none serious

:blahblah:

God forbid any band have any ambition.

KUEFC09U2 said:

Who said U2 wanted to beat anyone?

If you want to pick on someone for hyping up their band, though, Bono should be one of your prime targets.

(in that case, compliment was on U2's side - and it still sounded horribly pretentious)

KUEFC09U2 said:
god forbid anyone backing U2 up

They don't need backing up.

And if they did, it certainly isn't from Coldplay, who idolizes U2.

has there ever been a comment from anyone in u2 about coldplay at all?
I can't recall a single one.

neutral said:
Heh.. from Bono at Chicago 1, during the Miracle Drug intro:

"We want to wish the very best to our friends in Coldplay who are here tonight, we wish them the best future"
what so he didnt say "coldplay, your our enemies, and you are going down"?

I don't know about other members of the band, Bono has said only positive things about Coldplay and Chris Martin's Make Trade Fair activism.

U2girl said:
I don't know about other members of the band, Bono has said only positive things about Coldplay and Chris Martin's Make Trade Fair activism.

so in return martin says bono has hair plugs?

U2girl said:

There's something wrong and arrogant in saying that you believe you and your bandmates have a special and successful chemistry together?

Axver said:

There's something wrong and arrogant in saying that you believe you and your bandmates have a special and successful chemistry together?

Actually, she used the word 'pretentious', not 'wrong' or 'arrogant'.

Axver said:

obviously there is, but if you say "U2 are our opponents etc" then thats perfectly ok, i mean, it must be pop idol after all

KUEFC09U2 said:
obviously there is, but if you say "U2 are our opponents etc" then thats perfectly ok, i mean, it must be pop idol after all

Get over it. Such a broken record.

This topic is so long, but I hate Coldplay, I hate their new song, and U2 have made about 4 of my fave ever albums. So, yeah, that was all.

Actually I like Coldplay and I'm thinking to go to their show here in Lisbon, 23rd November. But I admit that I'm becoming sick of C.Martin and of their songs that sound almost equally in these 3 albums... it's a cool sound but it's too much :huh:

Oh yeah has anyone actually heard Coldplay's new song? It sounds like they sat down and went 'right, we need something as moving and amazing as 'One'. Let's write it.' And they came up with that load of slushy drivel. Nice one, Chris, you're doing an ace job of beating U2 so far...

chickadee said:
Oh yeah has anyone actually heard Coldplay's new song? It sounds like they sat down and went 'right, we need something as moving and amazing as 'One'. Let's write it.' And they came up with that load of slushy drivel. Nice one, Chris, you're doing an ace job of beating U2 so far...

"Fix You" it's everything but moving and amazing. It's good to go to bed and sleep, probably a bit boring. I prefer listen to The First Time or One Step Closer... But don't get me wrong, I like to listen to that song... it's a good song IMO but... nothing great

Oh, and C.Martin would be stupid if he wanted to make something as moving and amazing as 'One'. If he has a brain, he would try to make something as moving and amazing as 'Stay (faraway, so close!). U2's most touching song, their best ballad! Of course in my own opinion :wink:

Last edited:
MacPhistoPT said:

"Fix You" it's everything but moving and amazing. It's good to go to bed and sleep, probably a bit boring. I prefer listen to The First Time or One Step Closer... But don't get me wrong, I like to listen to that song... it's a good song IMO but... nothing great

Oh, and C.Martin would be stupid if he wanted to make something as moving and amazing as 'One'. If he has a brain, he would try to make something as moving and amazing as 'Stay (faraway, so close!). U2's most touching song, their best ballad! Of course in my own opinion :wink:

It's just on all the time here at the moment, and it makes me want to throw things at the TV (I don't, though, cause then I couldn't watch U2).

Yeah I adore 'Stay' of course, but I mean in terms of 'One's mass appeal and epicness. It's got the more universal message. But the thing I like about U2's ballads (if you can call them that) is the fact none of them is romantic or slushy. There's always an egde to them (no pun intended!) that makes them a bit harder. Even in 'Stay' which is gorgeous, it's not typically sweet.

chickadee said:

It's just on all the time here at the moment, and it makes me want to throw things at the TV (I don't, though, cause then I couldn't watch U2).

Yeah I adore 'Stay' of course, but I mean in terms of 'One's mass appeal and epicness. It's got the more universal message. But the thing I like about U2's ballads (if you can call them that) is the fact none of them is romantic or slushy. There's always an egde to them (no pun intended!) that makes them a bit harder. Even in 'Stay' which is gorgeous, it's not typically sweet.

Yeah, that's the point. Stay it's one of their "less dark ballads" but it still has that bittersweet feeling. And you're right, U2 hardly have a 100% sweet ballad. They have many uplifting and happy songs but they are no ballads (the three sunrises, beautiful day, ...)

Back
Top Bottom