MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

Another Day said:
Look what that loudmouth moron Chris Martin had to say the other day:

" U2 can be beaten. For me it's no different from the film Rocky. You study your opponent. And I regard them as opponents." (from One Louder)

What a fucking wanker.

I can't believe some of you U2 fans actually like that overrated no-talent pencilneck imbecile.

Their music is complete crap.

Coldplay can't carry U2's jockstrap.

In 50 years' time, U2's powerful, soulful songs will still be played over and over again by new generations of fans, while Coldplay's laughable catalogue of boring piano rubbish will be relegated to the dustbin of history.

What a joke! I don't mind Coldplay but there is no way it's gonna be them if anyone ever who "Beats" U2. Especially when Chris Martin can't even sing live. And on the albums he sings in the exact same tone on every song all the way through. Shit even the Gallagher brothers know U2 can't be beat. Chris Martin is on crack. At least he let us all know what his motivation is when making an album. To beat U2. Hey Chris how about you make some music for yourself and stop worrying about what other bands are doing, especially ones who you can't even hold a candle to.

Sken said:
[BU2 are on the same level as The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen and Led Zeppelin. Oasis was really the only band that missed its opportunity to be considered great. Coldplay, while making likeable music are doing just that, making music which is likeable but forgettable.[/B]

Nothing to do with the actual topic but I would argue that Guns N' Roses are probably the one band who could've been the biggest band of all time no questions asked had they kept their shit together. At their peak they were probably bigger than anyband ever save for maybe the Beatles. At their height they were definately bigger than U2 has ever been at any point in time. But yes U2 are on the same level as the bands you mentioned. Just thought I'd throw the Gn'R thing out there

Re: IT'S VERY SIMPLE.

GibsonGirl said:
u2slightsarebetterthancoldplays.jpg

bonoisbetterthanchris.jpg

thomisbetterthanchris.jpg

u2andradioheadarebetterthancoldplay.jpg

And these photos mean what? :shrug:

For instance, the set playing keyboards...umm...just what the hell do you want him to do, stand on his head and play it with his toes? Maybe The Edge is copying Elton John.....

The funny part is how so many people seem to have missed the point. There's nothing wrong with statements Bono made about how it was his opinion U2 had the same chemistry as great bands such as the Stones and the Who, and that U2 had the potential to be as big.

Meanwhile, here's Chris Martin harping on shit about how Bono's his opponent and he wants to beat him. How in the world is that even possible in the music industry where you make your own music rather than competing in Pop Idol manner to see who the judges think is best? Chris, get a clue and piss the hell off.

More from Chris Martin:

"Coldplay singer Chris Martin made this comment to Britain's Q magazine: "Someone famous, someone who knows, told me Bono's had a hair transplant. Can you believe it? Bono? Some of those tufts have been stitched in. So there's hope for me yet.""

WTF, dude?

Axver said:
The funny part is how so many people seem to have missed the point. There's nothing wrong with statements Bono made about how it was his opinion U2 had the same chemistry as great bands such as the Stones and the Who, and that U2 had the potential to be as big.

Meanwhile, here's Chris Martin harping on shit about how Bono's his opponent and he wants to beat him. How in the world is that even possible in the music industry where you make your own music rather than competing in Pop Idol manner to see who the judges think is best? Chris, get a clue and piss the hell off.

I guess album sales and Grammy type awards is how you'd determine a winner:laugh: And if that's the case than Coldplay just failed to qualify for the event.

Hallucination said:
I guess album sales and Grammy type awards is how you'd determine a winner:laugh: And if that's the case than Coldplay just failed to qualify for the event.

Right. Cause U2 won how many grammies with their first three albums? And how many number one albums did they have in their first thee tries?

Coldplay has won 4 grammies (off their first two albums only...the third will certainly be nominated for more) and all three hit number one in the UK and X&Y debuted at #1 in the US.

Let's not even talk about album sales over the first 5 years of their careers...because U2 aren't even in the same league.

Coldplay is just as big globally as U2 is currently, whether you believe it or not.

Chris Martin can sing live. Very well. I was four feet from him last Wednesday and witnessed it.

POINT: THERE IS NO COMPETITION...only among rabid U2 fans that can't understand that others enjoy other things...in addition to U2. Both bands are worldclass and sell, win, and play so.

Axver...sorry to disagree...but people thought Bono's comments were just as bombastic when he made them. Many think they are just as bombastic now.

The other thing I find funny is no one on the coldplay boards really mentions U2, but it is a daily thread starting point here at interference. They are both just f**king pop bands (that a huge population of the earth prefers the Black Eyed Peas and Jay Z to)..not religions.

Last edited:
Utoo said:
More from Chris Martin:

"Coldplay singer Chris Martin made this comment to Britain's Q magazine: "Someone famous, someone who knows, told me Bono's had a hair transplant. Can you believe it? Bono? Some of those tufts have been stitched in. So there's hope for me yet.""

WTF, dude?

a joke. a self deprecating one...dude is losing his hair too.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
Right. Cause U2 won how many grammies with their first three albums? And how many number one albums did they have in their first thee tries?

Coldplay has won 2 grammies (off their first two albums only...the third will certainly be nominated for more) and all three hit number one in the UK and X&Y debuted at #1 in the US.

Let's not even talk about album sales over the first 5 years of their careers...because U2 aren't even in the same league.

Coldplay is just as big globally as U2 is currently, whether you believe it or not.

Fair enough with the Grammy and album sales but Coldplay has not evolved one bit over those 3 albums. This is it for them. You can see them starting to spin their wheels. As for the comment about them being as big globally as U2. Ummmm..... NO! There is no way Coldplay can take over a city the way U2 does when the come to town. Last time Coldplay came through Alberta their was barely a whisper. It wasn't a big thing. When U2 comes to any town it's not just a concert it an entire event. That's a fact. And maybe Chris Martin can sing live but for whatever reason he sounds like crap everytime I've seen him. Mind you I've only seen him on tv to be fair. I have no problem with Coldplay but the comparisons are ridiculous. There is no way in the world that they are regarded in the same light as U2. That's like saying just becasue Greenday owned the music industry this last year that they are in every way shape and form as classic as U2. Sorry but no. The whole point of this thread is that Chris Martin was lame enough to single out U2 making it obvious who he's styling his music after.

I like Colplay's first album alot. The second album is overrated. The third album I really liked at first... but then realized that it's really not that great. It has a first-few-times-only quality to it. I would excuse this, but their cocky comments and the fact that TV and radio are shoving "Speed of Sound" down our throats is making me start to loathe them. (It doesn't help that TV and radio are completely ignoring U2.)

USA Weekend had Coldplay on its cover with the headline "Biggest Band in the Land." I shuddered.

Rachel D. said:
USA Weekend had Coldplay on its cover with the headline "Biggest Band in the Land." I shuddered.

How could they print that when even the most diehard U2 or Coldplay fans should able to admit that Greenday are the biggest band of the moment. Like it or not they are right now.

Hallucination said:

How could they print that when even the most diehard U2 or Coldplay fans should able to admit that Greenday are the biggest band of the moment. Like it or not they are right now.

:lmao:

It amuses me anyone cares about Green Day.

cmb737 said:

a joke. a self deprecating one...dude is losing his hair too.

True..I agree that the second half of that comment was meant as a joke. You can picture him saying, "There's hope for me yet" with a smile. But the extent to which he tries to qualify & justify the first half of the comment ("someone famous, someone who knows, told me..") seems more like he really meant the first part--or at least wanted it to seem like he did.

Basically, it just seems like there are far too many comments from Chris about U2. Is there no one else to talk about? I feel like there's a difference between wanting to be the most popular band out there for its own sake, and wanting to be the biggest band for the sake of "beating out" another group. It's like trying to beat Real Madrid/Yankees/Lakers for the sake of being the best vs. for the sake of beating that other team. U2 is just on his mind far too much, IMO.

Re: Re: IT'S VERY SIMPLE.

indra said:

And these photos mean what? :shrug:

For instance, the set playing keyboards...umm...just what the hell do you want him to do, stand on his head and play it with his toes? Maybe The Edge is copying Elton John.....

They don't mean what you think they mean.

I think U2's lights are better than Coldplay's lights. I think Bono is a better singer than Chris Martin. I think Thom Yorke is a better pianist than Chris Martin. I think U2's discography and Radiohead's discography are better than Coldplay's. Hence the "greater than" signs.

Last edited:
Hallucination said:

Fleetingly, I'd say--they're big this week due to the VMAs.

When U2 tickets went on sale, it was covered on my local news (Washington, DC!). When the Vertigo tour opened this past spring, it was covered on the news. The sale of Stones tickets was covered. Green Day's now on tour--and they even played here in the DC area last night --but nothing in terms of media coverage. They got some with the album early on because of the political slant, and they got a day's worth of news coverage because of the VMAs.

Radio-wise, there are about three Green Day songs playing right now, all from American Idiot. I've heard dozens of U2 songs on the radio in past weeks--all on multiple stations and with the greater frequency than the Green Day songs.

So, talent, musical quality, etc. aside, I think that at least around here, Green Day's not the biggest right now.

this thread is like watching fox news.

fair and balanced - with an overwhelming home team slant.

I am certainly one of the biggest U2 fans out there...but many of you are viewing the world through rose colored glasses.

Me personally - I wish U2 weren't the biggest and regardless if they are or not, want to be. Their tours, fans, and virtually everything else was a lot more fun when they were underdogs and underappreciated. I can't stand to be at the venues prior to show time now for many reasons. Call me old fashioned, call me an asshole...I'll take the atmosphere of popmart and early elevation over this anyday both in the fan community and at the shows.

out...for a while...sheesh it's hard to take these days.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
this thread is like watching fox news.

fair and balanced - with an overwhelming home team slant.

I am certainly one of the biggest U2 fans out there...but many of you are viewing the world through rose colored glasses.

CMB, you've got to take that as part and parcel to this being a U2 fan forum. Whereas Fox News doesn't outwardly claim to have bias (though they don't do a very good job of hiding it!), this is a U2 forum. Of course most people are going to talk about how U2 is the best. In fact, I think it's kind of funny that people come on here and expound upon the greatness of Guns'n'Roses, Coldplay, Green Day, etc. If I wanted to talk about them, I'd go to their own forums.

However, if you want a thorough discussion on the musical qualities, skills, vision, etc. of U2 vs. Coldplay vs. Green Day, I'll give it to you. I like a few of their songs, I have a bit of respect for some of their talents, etc. But overall, I think U2 is better for a multitude of reasons. That's why I'm a member of this U2 forum.

You know, those of us at Interference aren't the only ones who are vocal about the similarities.

http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=34680
http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=25694
http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=30915
http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=29639
http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=29095
http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=30645&highlight=unforgettable+fire

And here are some extremely funny threads. Once you read them, I'm sure you'll know why.

http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=34515
http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=31295&highlight=speed+sound+video

Being influenced is one thing...Coldplay are so beyond influenced, it's hard to tell where U2 ends and Coldplay begins. Come on Chris and Jonny, stop trying to be Bono and The Edge.

Last edited:
Axver said:

:lmao:

It amuses me anyone cares about Green Day.

Never said I liked them. I don't mind them, I don't own an album by them but the fact is they are ruling the charts right now. They're winning all the awards at all the awards shows they are far and away the most popular band with young people these days(under the age of 15 so maybe that says it there). If we were to go over to a Greenday forum I'd assume(I've never been to one) that they too would be amused by the fact that anyone cares about U2. Utoo made some good points about it though. They will never be the draw that other bands are live but album sales and radio play and popularity with the younger generation can't be discounted, but yes ther massivness is fleeting.

Folks - Just returned from seeing Coldplay last night in row 12 dead center in Detroit. U2 is my favorite band so I was interested in this U2/Coldplay comparsion. I like Coldplay and the concert was very good. Reminded me of a young U2, rough around the edges with their light show bordering on low tech and cheezy. Saying that, whether you like Chris Martin or not, his talent is immense and comparable to Bono IMHO. He carries the group by far. As far as the other members, can't really compare them but I definitely don't see an Edge in that group. All in all, they are good right now but look for them to be more polished next time they come around. Only time will tell whether they reach the status of U2 , but for now they have a ways to go. U2 still is king in my book.

This thread just gets sadder and sadder. Expand your musical boundaries! I believe U2 to be the best band, but I don't let that cloud my judgement of all music.

What is really amusing is that this forum is actually a lot better than most music forums. I guess people are close-minded in general. Oh well.

bsp77 said:
This thread just gets sadder and sadder. Expand your musical boundaries! I believe U2 to be the best band, but I don't let that cloud my judgement of all music.

What is really amusing is that this forum is actually a lot better than most music forums. I guess people are close-minded in general. Oh well.

Oh, my musical boundaries are well expanded. Coldplay just doesn't happen to be included within its limits. :wink:

one more thing on this -

U2 by Chris Martin

I don't buy weekend tickets to Ireland and hang out in front of their gates, but U2 are the only band whose entire catalog I know by heart. The first song on The Unforgettable Fire, "A Sort of Homecoming," I know backward and forward -- it's so rousing, brilliant and beautiful. It's one of the first songs I played to my unborn baby.

The first U2 album I ever heard was Achtung Baby. It was 1991, and I was fourteen years old. Before that, I didn't even know what albums were. From that point, I worked backward -- every six months, I'd get to buy a new U2 album. The sound they pioneered -- the driving bass and drums underneath and those ethereal, effects-laden guitar tracks floating out from above -- was nothing that had been heard before. They may be the only good anthemic rock band ever. Certainly they're the best.

What I love most about U2 is that the band is more important than any of their songs or albums. I love that they're best mates and have an integral role in one another's lives as friends. I love the way that they're not interchangeable -- if Larry Mullen Jr. wants to go scuba diving for a week, the rest of the band can't do a thing. U2 -- like Coldplay -- maintain that all songs that appear on their albums are credited to the band. And they are the only band that's been around for twenty years with no member changes and no big splits.

It's amazing that the biggest band in the world has so much integrity and passion in their music. Our society is thoroughly screwed, fame is a ridiculous waste of time, and celebrity culture is disgusting. There are only a few people around brave enough to talk out against it, who use their fame in a good way. And every time I try, I feel like an idiot, because I see Bono actually getting things achieved. While everyone else is swearing at George Bush, Bono is the one who rubs Bush's back and gets a billion dollars for Africa. People can be so cynical -- they don't like do-gooders -- but Bono's attitude is, "I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm going to speak out." He's accomplished so much with Greenpeace, in Sarajevo, at the concert to shut down the Sellafield nuclear plant, and he still runs the gantlet. When the time came for Coldplay to think about fair trade, we took his lead to speak out regardless of what anyone may think. That's what we've learned from U2: You have to be brave enough to be yourself.

(From Rolling Stone 946, April 15, 2004)

take a little of that heartfelt appreciation and respect from one man to another and compare it to the first few lines of this thread calling the author a "loudmouth moron" "a fucking wanker" "overrated no-talent pencilneck imbecile" "crap" "laughable catalogue of boring piano rubbish."

For those of you that agree with both the tone and message of what is being said there, how sad. I am not sure what you find so appealing of U2's career long message of love, understanding, acceptance, and respect for others. Especially from an artist that wrote "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief" speaking largely of himself, no doubt.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh, my musical boundaries are well expanded. Coldplay just doesn't happen to be included within its limits. :wink:

Not directed towards everyone.

Anyway, it is cool for people to give their opinions, negative or positive. It is the going out of the way to constantly degrade other bands that irks me, especially ones that may challenge U2.

I remember a few months ago when someone asked what percentage of the time people listen to U2. The amount of responses in the 70% to 95% range were ridiculous. I listen to U2 about 5% of the time (except when a new album is released).

Great post cmb737. People should be ashamed, but I am sure they won't be.

Back
Top Bottom