MERGED-->I got my Best Of already!! + You Guys Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...went to the midnight sale @ Tower in L.A. Really happy with the purchase. There are a lot of disappointing aspects of what was left off, but when you think about it, if this were to land in the hands of someone who had never heard U2, they would most likely be blown away. My two complaints: 71 minutes of music; can't they fit 80 minutex on a CD? Maybe its higher quality on a 74 minute CD; who knows?. Last, and perhaps the one thing that is most disappointing ON the CD--Miss Sarajevo edit. I had heard it was bad, but I couldn't believe how bad it was. On the original, there is seemless transition between Bono and Pavarotti section. I have always commented that the songs transforms itself in a very subtle way. On this new edit, it is more of a "smash cut" effect which results in the Pavarotti section feeling more like a sample rather than an organic component of the song.

I'm with Sicy on this one....ordered from CDNow to avoid chaos in trying to find it.

I don't mind waiting for it plus it was much cheaper online.

I'm excited though!

:|

I'm sorry but it makes me laugh to read about people going out at midnight to get their cds. :laugh: This isnt a concert!

As I'm in Dublin now, I thought about going to the midnight sale at HMV--actually, I might very well have done so, but I have a bad cough these days and I've been staying up too late anyway and I didn't want to make it worse. But I'm kind of sorry now I didn't because the Big Heads made an appearance. However, I went to Tower Records on Monday and got it there for 5 E less than I would have at HMV, so...

Here are a few of my thoughts on this best of:

-the line change in Mysterious Ways is just weird; I want to hear an explanation. I don't really mind, because of course I have the original, but it's certainly not an improvement.

-the new version of Gone seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. I think that the original is a really, really good song, with great lyrics, and it had potential to be a great song. Although there are some things about the new version I like more, overall I don't think it's much better, if at all.

-remix of Numb is probably worse, but I never liked it anyway, except as a performance piece--the video is so funny.

-remix of SATS is another missed opportunity. The drums sound fiddly. I really think I prefer the original, except the Edge harmonies are good.

-remix of Discotheque comes close to making me like the song! I still don't like it a lot, except in bits, but it's much less of a mess.

-Compared to the B-sides disc of the 80's best of, this B-sides disc makes me think that U2's creativity was not as high as so many people say it was in the 90's. It's almost all remixes. Most of them, as tends to be the case with remixes, are not actually improvements. Look at the 80's b-sides disc; all new songs, most of them not covers, and admittedly not all are amazing, but then there are incredible songs like Love Comes Tumbling, Three Sunrises, Luminous Times, and Walk to the Water.

-I am actually angry at the fact that they included two songs off Passengers and that on the 80's package there was just one song off October and that one a hidden track. :mad: Guys, why don't you just pull October out of circulation? You obviously despise it. As for the two Passengers tracks, Miss Sarajevo really isn't that strong, though it has moments. But Your Blue Room is beautiful and very sensual, much more so than If You Wear That Velvet Dress.

-I'm glad to have this new package, but it's not as strong as the 80's package.

scatteroflight said:
-

-I'm glad to have this new package, but it's not as strong as the 80's package. [/B]

Hardly....I've foundmyself listening to this best-of much more than the 80s one, a lot more interesting methinks!:yes: As for Gone I infinitely prefe the new mix, its sensational! Look for the enw album to have a similar sound hopefully. The Disco and STATS mixes are good but not as good as the originals, although the Edge's backing vocals and the tripped out ending are really good. Numb, I like the new version about the same as the original.:yes:

Happy happy happy happy!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Haven't listened to it yet but i have it!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!! :D

I got mine first things this morning, I love it!!!
No complains from me, I'm happy, got the double cd with the dvd bonus and all for only $14.88 @ Target :dance: :dance:

And last night my hubby bought me the 2003 U2 calendar at SamGoody's.:heart:
They had the Best of cds displayed behind the counter, the were not selling them until today for $24.99.
There was someone else lloking at them and he was all like "I see seen them(U2) every time they play in LA, how about you?"
Sales guy:
"I've seen them once".
Me, not trying to show off much;
"On the last tour I saw them in SD, Anaheim and LA"
Sales guy:
"Wow, you're a real fan".
I didn't even mention FarmClub.;)

:| I would really like to know the reason behind the lyric change in Mysterious Ways :| :( :eyebrow:

Sicy said:
I'm sorry but it makes me laugh to read about people going out at midnight to get their cds. :laugh: This isnt a concert!
I did it for ATYCLB. It was fun!!Met a bunch of U2 fans and we all sat outside the store listening to live u2 music on this guy's stereo. It was a rush of excitement to get through the doors first. WE kinda thought there might be cool promo stuff given out but nah..just the cd lol
I'd do it again for the new album if there is one.

Yeah, Angel, why the hell change perfection?

Well, I decided I simply couldn't stand the wait and went to Target this afternoon to see if they had copies of the Best Of - and they did, for just $14.88!! I'll send my Amazon copy back when I get it.

It must be fun to live someplace where people are excited enough about U2 that the stores have midnight releases for their CDs and people wait in line outside the store for them. But then again it's nice to be able to waltz into Target at 3 p.m. on release day and see lots of copies still there.

I went to Walmart first, and all they had was the 3 cd set for $25. When I asked them for the Best of alone, they said 'that's how it comes' and claimed a plain Best of did not exist! :shrug: Well, being from here I knew better, but it was frustrating having them treat me like I was the one who was wrong. I thought they must have ordered the wrong thing. I went down the mall to Fye, where they still did not have the single Best of, but the 3 cd set was only $20 so I bought it.

Comments and questions:

1. Discotheque mix is a HUGE improvement, but I was not so happy with the Gone mix. It is my opinion that the POP songs were not just remixed but completely redone, vocals and instruments. That's how they sound to me.

2. Happiness is a Warm Gun SUCKS!!!! It's the absolute worst song cover I have ever heard and possibly the shittiest piece of garbage U2 has ever done. :no:

3. I got ES William Orbit mix on the first cd and the harder rocking (and better IMO) ES version on the B sides cd. Is this how you guys got it too?

4. What the feck IS that third cd?! Is it a cd or a dvd? Can it be played on a computer or only a dvd player (which I do not own)?

Tabby said:
I went to Walmart first, and all they had was the 3 cd set for $25. When I asked them for the Best of alone, they said 'that's how it comes' and claimed a plain Best of did not exist! :shrug: Well, being from here I knew better, but it was frustrating having them treat me like I was the one who was wrong. I thought they must have ordered the wrong thing. I went down the mall to Fye, where they still did not have the single Best of, but the 3 cd set was only $20 so I bought it.

Comments and questions:

1. Discotheque mix is a HUGE improvement, but I was not so happy with the Gone mix. It is my opinion that the POP songs were not just remixed but completely redone, vocals and instruments. That's how they sound to me.

2. Happiness is a Warm Gun SUCKS!!!! It's the absolute worst song cover I have ever heard and possibly the shittiest piece of garbage U2 has ever done. :no:

3. I got ES William Orbit mix on the first cd and the harder rocking (and better IMO) ES version on the B sides cd. Is this how you guys got it too?

4. What the feck IS that third cd?! Is it a cd or a dvd? Can it be played on a computer or only a dvd player (which I do not own)?

The third disc is a DVD. And, btw, the guys at Target were right. The best of will not be released as a standalone without the B-sides and DVD until next Tuesday.

Tabby said:

Oh no no no no no no no. That dubious honor goes, without a doubt, to U2's cover of "Fortunate Son." I don't think they could ever do a song that compares to that one. Lordy.

Mirrorball Girl said:

Oh no no no no no no no. That dubious honor goes, without a doubt, to U2's cover of "Fortunate Son." I don't think they could ever do a song that compares to that one. Lordy.

I'd have to pick "All Along The Watchtower" as it appears on Rattle And Hum. Maybe one of the most overplayed cover songs of all time. Couldn't they have put on "Dancing Barefoot" instead? Bono even plays the guitar solo on that one!

We had a late release in Mexico City, tuesday 5, 6 pm

u2home.jpg

I arrived at 4 pm, and there was already about 500 people ahead of me, as the 6 pm aproached, I think it was a bout a thousand, I had lost hope in getting the promos...

but happily when it was my turn at about 7 pm, they were still available, so I got my special editon of The Best Of 1990-2000 with the DVD, and also as gift, The Electrical Storm cd2 single (1.Electrical Storm 2.Bad/40/Where The Streets Have No Name) and a Special Edition VHS with the following tracks:

1.Electrical Storm
2.Beautifull Day
3.Discotheque
4.Mofo
5.The Fly
6.One ( haven't checked what version)
7.Miss Sarajevo
8.Pre-Production Popmart Tour (Electronic Press Kit)

Also a U2 tribute band was playing, they were ok, to me the important thing of this bands is that one can sing along no matter if they are good or not, it was a cool U2 party, I guess there are a lot of U2 freaks in this city, including me.

When I left the place at about 8 pm, the line to get the album was even longer than when I was there, and the band was still playing.

I could join the discusion of the new mixes, if they are better or worse, if they deserve to be here, if some songs are missing or not....but no, not tonight.....tonight is a U2 night to enjoy.

:)

Last edited:
rafmed said:

I arrived at 4 pm, and there was already about 500 people ahead of me, as the 6 pm aproached, I think it was a bout a thousand, I had lost hope in getting the promos...

:eek: and this is a country that u2 left off their tour schedule...

Random thoughts on the Best Of package, now that I've had a chance to listen to the CDs and watch the DVD:

1. I like The Hands That Built America but not as much as Electrical Storm.

2. I LOVE the remix of Gone.

3. It definitely feels like there's a big void in the intro on the Discoteque remix.

4. The extended dance mix of Lady With a Spinning Head kicks ass!

5. Salome sounds great!

6. I'm very disappointed in North and South of the River. It sounds blah to me.

7. The live performance of Please from Helsinki on the DVD is incredible.

8. The new-image-every-millisecond editing on the history mix gave me sensory overload! Next time I watch I'm going to have to go frame by frame.

9. U2's marketing strategy in including the teaser DVD really worked. I can't wait for December to get here so I can buy the full-length DVD!

hey how much time is left on the best of cd??..think its about 4 mins right :scratch:

just thought that maybe...they could have put elevation hidden in there somewhere..it goes for like 3:45

scatteroflight said:
As I'm in Dublin now,

WOW! I didn't know that. Have you seen the band?

Here are a few of my thoughts on this best of:

-the line change in Mysterious Ways is just weird; I want to hear an explanation. I don't really mind, because of course I have the original, but it's certainly not an improvement.

-the new version of Gone seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. I think that the original is a really, really good song, with great lyrics, and it had potential to be a great song. Although there are some things about the new version I like more, overall I don't think it's much better, if at all.

-remix of Numb is probably worse, but I never liked it anyway, except as a performance piece--the video is so funny.

-remix of Discotheque comes close to making me like the song! I still don't like it a lot, except in bits, but it's much less of a mess.

-Compared to the B-sides disc of the 80's best of, this B-sides disc makes me think that U2's creativity was not as high as so many people say it was in the 90's. It's almost all remixes. Most of them, as tends to be the case with remixes, are not actually improvements. Look at the 80's b-sides disc; all new songs, most of them not covers, and admittedly not all are amazing, but then there are incredible songs like Love Comes Tumbling, Three Sunrises, Luminous Times, and Walk to the Water.

-I'm glad to have this new package, but it's not as strong as the 80's package.

I agree with you, good descriptions! :up:

U2Kitten said:

WOW! I didn't know that. Have you seen the band?

No I haven't, but I have discovered so many connections to the band. For instance, I know someone whose brother does work for them on their security cameras so hangs out with them a lot, I know someone who works at the Clarence and I'm told he "sees Bono all the time" (I haven't even asked him about U2--he's a lot older, I have a feeling he doesn't care much!), one of my relatives has a friend who is Bono's cousin, etc. The new friends I have made here think it's hilarious that I scream with excitement every time something like this comes up. But I'm not blase about it yet. It's also cool to be in Dublin at a moment when U2 releases something new--I dunno, there's just something in the air :)

Back
Top Bottom