MERGED ----> I feel bad for U2 + The Bands' thoughts on the leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkdominatr

Refugee
I feel bad for U2

Knowing how hard they were safe guarding their songs makes me upset that it was leaked. Great stuff, i know all of us will still by the album, and hopefully potential buyers will still.

I know what you mean, I have nov 22nd all mapped out and I go and download the songs! takes the shine off the release date but I could not stop myself!

i agree
obviously we're all dying to hear the new album but i'm really sad its leaked and am gonna avoid it at all costs
its only 2 more weeks

what a bomb! said:
I know what you mean, I have nov 22nd all mapped out and I go and download the songs! takes the shine off the release date but I could not stop myself!

I feel the same. :(

I'd apologize to U2 if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to be buying the album when it's released, every single that gets released, and anything else with the name "U2" on it. Except for the iPod, of course, because we can't use them in Canada.

And besides, I've bought every single U2 album to date. I think I deserve a treat. And HTDAAB definitely is a treat. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

I'd apologize to U2 if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to be buying the album when it's released, every single that gets released, and anything else with the name "U2" on it. Except for the iPod, of course, because we can't use them in Canada.

And besides, I've bought every single U2 album to date. I think I deserve a treat. And HTDAAB definitely is a treat. :wink:

I reckon (after thinking about it for a bit) that the band DO realise that the vast majority of downloaders WILL still go out and buy the album, maybe even all formats of it. So the small amount that they may lose, isn't really gonna be enough to effect the sales and their profits.

(but im still waiting til 22/11:wink: )

I downloaded and listened to a few songs but not all of them. Now that I have it I don't want it until it's the real thing. I'm going to delete them. I've waited this long. I can wait a few more weeks. I want that rush of racing to the music store on Nov 23 and running over to the U's and seeing a new U2 album and then taking it to my car and blasting it. I don't want to already know all the songs before then. Then it'll just be any old album....

Feel bad for them? Not even the slightest bit. These people get paid millions of bucks to make music, for heaven's sake.

IF IT'S AN ACCIDENT: In the modern age, U2 is well aware of the risks they take in arranging private media hearings of their album and in marketing the album generally. There would be no possibility of leaks if U2 kept the album to themselves until its release - i.e. if they weren't trying to engineer a massive, carefully choreographed publicity blitz designed to make tens of millions of dollars. They will still make an incredible amount of money on this and will live it up bigtime. No one will starve.

IF IT'S ON PURPOSE: And in any case the entire episode is probably engineered to begin with. Who benefits from this? Apple, who gets yet another massive publicity blitz from the fact that I-tunes can "pre-empt" the pirates. And in case you doubt that the net financial benefit of doing this would far exceed the money lost by the "premature" release, the London Times reported a few days ago that Apple's stock increased in value by $2 billion within the first week after the U2-Apple announcement. The possibilities of I-tunes are what drive stock prices higher, which is where the real money is, and this episode highlights those possibilities.

I love the band as much as anyone here, but let's get serious. They are better businessmen than they are musicians, and they're awesome musicians. Nothing is accidental. And in any case, even if it was truly a "leak", there's nothing to feel sorry for.

OK, fire away!

what a bomb! said:
even though downloading songs is great in this day and age, you still can't beat getting the official package,the cover and booklet ect

I agree, all of my friends always say "i have that cd." but really they dont. I dont think burning a cd should really be categorized as "owning" the actual album.

Not to get into a debate, SV, because I really don't want to I just have to say what the difference between downloading U2's music and walking into Walmart and taking the CD? Walmart also make a lot of money but it doesn't mean we have the right to steal from them.

Last edited:
Let's just note that Hut Dab has leaked closer to its release date than ATYCLB leaked to its release date. In that sense, U2 have done pretty well, especially with the stolen CD factored into that.

I agree with sv. The album supposedly leaked months ago and Bono threatened then to go to itunes. Now miraculously a couple of weeks after signing a probable several hundred million dollar long term deal with Apple, the recording pops up on the internet. U2 have given Apple a very convenient justification for itunes because if acts don't go with itunes, their music will be downloaded for free. Let's say some of the Island records sales are lost, U2 loses at most $5 per CD and lets say they lose a million sales- thats less than $5 million dollars. As I said they stand to make hundreds of millions of dollars from Apple. Don't feel sorry for U2. This has been planned for months. This is just the dawn for itunes. In a couple of years all of the music we get will be from itunes.

All I have to say is that if you d/l it and keep it and you never pay for it: You are a THIEF.

I expect that the real U2 fans will pay one way or another (i.e. iTunes or actual hard copy).

RobVox

sv said:
Feel bad for them? Not even the slightest bit. These people get paid millions of bucks to make music, for heaven's sake.

Sorry to fire away, but you asked for it :D

So, if they didn't get paid a million bucks, then would it be wrong? So, when they first got started, this would have been terrible thing to do but once they made the top 40, they are fair game for being ripped off?
I would reassess your sense of right and wrong. You punish people for being successful. You punish these guys for working hard album after album to make something that we fans will embrace. If I were them, I wouldn't bother putting in the hard work if a large percentage of the fans felt like you do.

I have downloaded a few songs but haven't really listened to it. I am going to delete them as well and just wait untill the album is out. I mean, if I can wait 3 years .. what's 2 weeks then? :huh:

But I'm not sure if I will buy the hard copy. I want to buy a iPod and then I say goodbye to hard copies..

Dilemma :|

It's amusing that people are worried about how sales will be affected when ATYCLB leaked early and yet has successfully sold more than twelve million copies. Yeah, sales were HURT there!

GibsonGirl said:

we can't use iPods in Canada? of course we can! :) All my friends have an iPod.. and the iTunes store is opening in a few weeks for Canada (you dont *need* to use iTunes though)

I don't feel sorry for the band. If it's a great album, it will sell whether it is available for free on the Internet or not. Lots of people want hard copies and artwork rather than messing with MP3 files. Besides, even if it hadn't leaked now, it would have leaked a week from now when it became available for streaming on the NME site because nowadays you can capture a stream and turn it into MP3 files.

I personally haven't decided if I want to download the album now or continue to wait, but I wouldn't blame people if they simply couldn't wait any longer - provided they later buy a hard copy or purchase the songs via iTunes.

I feel sorry for everyone listening to this album in crappy 128kbps mp3 format. It'll sound a lot better if you just wait a couple weeks. And you get the packaging, and you support your favorite band. It's a win, win, win situation.

I am staying a virgin and not listening toa draned THING. I can wait 2 more weeks. We've waited 4 yrs.

I for one downloaded the tunes today and I can't WAIT to run to the store on Nov. 22 and PAY the men for the brilliance I listened to today! I will buy all of the singles, the album, the special album, a few posters, and then see them 4-5 times when they come anywhere near me. I feel the 'sneak preview' is just good fortune and I imagine that only die hard U2 fans who are on this forum will probably hear it. Casual fans just aren't looking yet. All of us die hards will pay the men, I'm totally sure of it.

ahhh its nice to see some people feel the same as I do...i think its disrespectful, and kills the excitement of release day....but anyway...glad to know Im not the only one who IS NOT going to d/l any of the leaked songs.

It makes me ill that people will leak the album, it's just not right. The tons of money U2 or any other artist for that matter has is no excuse. I know true U2 fans will by a hard copy or download it from itune regardless if they download the leaks or not before hand. The majority I hope, like myself will wait until the album is actually released whether it be the stores or itunes. Let's face it though, there are people out there who will download it illegally and never pay a cent. I'm personally not going anywhere near the illegal downloads until I get my hard copy or it becomes avaliable on itunes. A cheap cd written on with a sharpie marker isn't the same thing as the real thing.

bcrt2000 said:

and the iTunes store is opening in a few weeks for Canada (you dont *need* to use iTunes though)

They are?! Why didn't I hear about this?!

I guess I just don't know much about iPods. I thought they were only available in the US and the UK. :shrug:

I think it's a rela shame this has leaked. Here's why - new U2 albums are a moment to be savoured when they are ready to be released. We've all been gearing towards November 22d / 23rd for that first listen, you know that one time when the whole thing is fresh and you can appreciate the fact that you actually have it. I don't doubt that almost everyone here will buy it, but by the time of the official release everybody will know it inside out. Doesn't that take away some of the magic? Can't we all just wait for the official release? Obviously not, I just think it's a real shame this came out and I hope whoever leaked it gets sued into bankruptcy.

Back
Top Bottom