MERGED ----> I feel bad for U2 + The Bands' thoughts on the leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adamgirl said:
Let's face it though, there are people out there who will download it illegally and never pay a cent. I'm personally not going anywhere near the illegal downloads until I get my hard copy or it becomes avaliable on itunes. A cheap cd written on with a sharpie marker isn't the same thing as the real thing.

Yeah, but that's not going to happen because the album leaked. There are people who would have downloaded it illegally after the 22nd/23rd anyway.

Either you're going to buy or your not. I don't think because it was available today will make people download illegally anymore than after the release date.

But then again I'm not sitting here burning copies for anyone, nor would I mention the availability of this to any non-U2 fanatic.

Believe me there are plenty of people who aren't connected at the hip to their computer searching for album leaks.

That said I also know that I have on preorder the Deluxe Edition, 1 Regular CD, Vertigo Single, Ipod, Vertigo t shirt and calendar and will to at least 10 shows.

So after waiting 4 years I'm not going to sweat it.

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

But then again I'm not sitting here burning copies for anyone, nor would I mention the availability of this to any non-U2 fanatic.

Good point RR. I was thinking the same. If I didn't know about Interference or @U2 or any other fan site, I would be none the wiser.

@U2 are pretty funny though. They said something about, well, since the news already broke we might as well report it. If you're savvy enough, go find it.

adamgirl said:
It makes me ill that people will leak the album, it's just not right. The tons of money U2 or any other artist for that matter has is no excuse. I know true U2 fans will by a hard copy or download it from itune regardless if they download the leaks or not before hand. The majority I hope, like myself will wait until the album is actually released whether it be the stores or itunes. Let's face it though, there are people out there who will download it illegally and never pay a cent. I'm personally not going anywhere near the illegal downloads until I get my hard copy or it becomes avaliable on itunes. A cheap cd written on with a sharpie marker isn't the same thing as the real thing.

The above is true you know: It is EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING! ;)

RobVox

The Bands thoughts on the leak???

I think it stinks that the album was leaked early, but then on the other hand I'm excited for the new music ..... cause we have it earlier than expected. But, I wonder how the band feels about it though. what do you think?

Isn't this a bit like when you have the opportunity to sample snippets of each song on a CD by scanning the UPC code at Walmart or Borders Books or Barnes and Noble and you therefore get to tell abit whether you really want to purchase it?
I wasn't expecting this "treat", as someone has called it, either.
But if you download these without getting the hard copy version or through itunes it is stealing--I agree.
But I think the best point of all...if it is true (I'm not a techie by any means--Correct me if I'm wrong) that when the NME stream came out people would just download it that way then, ahead of time as well, for nothing.
As for burning the whole album to a "cheap CD hand written on with a sharpie" that's just really cheesey, I'm sorry. You're cheating yourself of owning the real deal/gem.
November 23rd, glorious November 23rd is still a day to go down in infamy as far as I am concerned, where there will still be plenty of "treats" lurking to be discovered through the CD photos/artwork and not that Bono doesn't orate clear enough but have all the lyrics as well, I'm sure.

One thing with the apple itunes iPod though... I think it perpetuates the idea of downloading without owning the original hard copy "albums". Is U2 shooting itself in the foot? Actually I think not; they'll be raking even more $ in the end in my estimation. For the non die hard U2 fans paying to download singles or for the ones shelling out the $350+ for the U2 iPod and whole back catalog. The U2 iPod will be bought (=+the 400 some U2 box set) by the people who already have all their music 'cos it's U2's entire repritoire plus some unreleased material on the go. I know this would be awesome to just reel through the whole history without having to putz around juggling/finding the various hard copies the tunes you want hear are on and this will be the end of making your own U2 mix CDs as well. Will it not?
P.S.- Was this too long? Sorry. It's just that I felt passionate about this and maybe it had to do with the fact that I can't believe 4 years of waiting and I ruined the "magic" of having thee release in my grubby little hands upon arrival date. I won't listen to the downloads anymore... BUT my hearing it before hand doesn't mean that HTDAAB will be "just any other CD" as a result, as someone else has said. It's extraordinary. Great things really are worth the wait.
My two cents thanks for listening! :huh:
Waddayal think?

Oh all right maybe you can burn a disc and write on it with a sharpie and make album art of your own or even photo copy the original album artwork...but come on people...
Support our band! :mad:

Lucky One said:
Oh all right maybe you can burn a disc and write on it with a sharpie and make album art of your own or even photo copy the original album artwork...but come on people...
Support our band! :mad:

I think you're arguing with the wrong folks. The people on this website have spent/will spend a small/big fortune on this band.

I don't understand people that get so upset that the record got leaked early. What I look forward to, what I savor, is that first listening of the album, the first day of playing it over and over again and loving it. It doesn't matter if that's on release day or two weeks earlier. And I spent most of today savoring this record, and it's brilliant, and U2 have shown why they are the best band on the planet. We're all going to go and buy the super-duper-ultra-limited-delux-box edition of htdaab anyway, U2 isn't going to lose any money. And it won't f**k up their holdiay plans like some were eluding to. Bono made those comments in July, when the release was a long way off. It's only two weeks off now, U2 won't change anything, or at least it's highly unlikely. Life is not an infinite thing, and the longer I get to listen to any given piece of music that I love, the better. And I love this piece of music, the whole record. And as long as the music is doing this to/for me, as long as it's giving me the feeling that I'm feeling with this record, as long as it's taking me to another place, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if it's now or in two weeks.

ramblin rose said:

I think you're arguing with the wrong folks. The people on this website have spent/will spend a small/big fortune on this band.

Damn right we will... I really wanted to wait but it was too tempting.. I will definately be buying at least two copies of this album... just to put it in perspective, I've bout at least 5 copies of AB over the years...:wink:

ramblin rose said:

I am not arguing... I am merely making a point that the group should get it's due pay for their amazing accomplishment/work/talent/effort etc.
As any should, I suppose.
There's no need to talk to me about spending on U2...where they're concerned the budget flies out the window/sky's the limit...(Thank the Lord for plastic)

As well, I would not doubt that any other U2 collector or fanatic feels the same (with exception to the putting yourself deeper in debt thing, I can't rightly say) and has indeed dropped a bundle following them already. So far though, I must say I haven't had to pay too exorbitant a price for concert tickets yet and I've been up close at two of the four concerts I've been at with the same price someone else sitting in say nose bleeds might.

Last edited:
CarloZ said:

Damn right we will... I really wanted to wait but it was too tempting.. I will definately be buying at least two copies of this album... just to put it in perspective, I've bout at least 5 copies of AB over the years...:wink:

All for you? Maybe you should take better care of your stuff? (I never could understand how the CDs I would ever take out of the library got so damaged/scratched up)
But hopefully you're spreading the U2 vibe/love to your loved ones :D

I bought two Achtung Babies too now that I think of it, just because I wanted the cardboard eco-friendly foldout version.
Never did get around to getting one with "the fifth member" though :wink: That would have brought me up to 3 right there then and almost caught up with you!:ohmy:

Last edited:
I went ahead and lost my new album virginity today (yes, I know, I'm a U2 slut). And now I am thinking I will buy the special edition version of the album on Nov. 23 rather than the regular version just so I will have extra goodies to look forward to. I wasn't seriously thinking of getting the special edition before, so U2 might be making more money off me in the long run than if the album hadn't leaked!

Last edited:
Honestly, as of right now...I can't find news of the leak anywhere except on U2 sites....This isn't a huge disaster in my eyes.

The band definetly will have me buying multiple copies of this, in addition to concert tix, collector's edition and the iPod and iTunes....

I'm sure they are enjoying fans reactions to thier album....on the U2 sites. I could be wrong but they haven't lost any money from anyone here.

ramblin rose said:

Agreed 100%. I've bought every album at about CDN$20 a pop... That's 15 x $20 (had to get AB twice because my first copy got scratched). $300 right there. Might as well tack on the $10.00 I payed for two Electrical Storm singles. Plus, then there's Slane, Rattle & Hum, and Boston...$30 + $40 + $15... Up to $395. Then there's the books, T-shirts, posters, etc. By the end of the day, I've probably spent close to $500 on U2. And that's going to increase dramatically with HTDAAB and the tour.

The funny thing is, that's probably not even half of what some other people here have spent on the band.
:wink:

I agree with Lucky One and the others that are waiting until the album is released in two weeks.

Since we don't know the origin of the leaked album (who leaked it), we don't know if U2 is OK with this or not.

So, until I hear that they think is OK, I will resist the urge and not download HTDAAB. :up:

I have heard about half of the songs already through the various downloads available and I KNOW THAT I WILL LOVE HTDAAB!

So I will wait until the magical day of its release and be pleasantly surprised all over again by HTDAAB. :wink:

For me, that's the best way that I can show my Love and Respect for U2.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

We all are going to spend small fortunes on this record. And have already on this band. The leak only hurts when it gets to the people who are downloading the cd so they don't have to buy it. Its those kind of people that piss me off.

drivemytrabant said:
We all are going to spend small fortunes on this record. And have already on this band. The leak only hurts when it gets to the people who are downloading the cd so they don't have to buy it. Its those kind of people that piss me off.

I agree, I think, everyone here will buy this album...

People, the albums of every artist are leaked prematurely. U2 aren't going to be hurt by this. A person who downloads the album and doesn't buy it wouldn't have bought it anyway. If anything, it will get more people to buy it just so they can get the DVD and the book.

1) I can't imagine that this wasn't on purpose. Like someone said before, this thing has been heavily guarded until all of a sudden - oops, it's not?! Doubtful.

2) I dl'ed it today - have listened to it about a million times, and wouldn't DREAM of not buying it. In fact, I'll be buying a regular copy and the deluxe box - dl'ing it would never take the place of that for me. Hopefully there are others who feel the same.

Release date, hell - this just means I get to enjoy it for three more weeks. A date is nothing but a number. Still looking forward to plunking down $$$ on the 23rd. ;)

P.S.

You people waiting - you're a lot stronger than I am - much respect. ;)

This freaking record is so amazing I just want to run to my window and scream.

I'm sure U2 knew the leak was just a matter of time. It's like this with every big release. Everyone is trying to get their hands on it. While I'm sure they'd like it better if the album was heard on the 22nd, they don't mind this too much because it's to be expected nowadays. I'm sure they knew it was just a matter of time with this album, as it is with every album.

The majority of music downloaders that don't buy the albums are young folk.

How many people my age or younger are going to want to download the new U2 CD? Like five. And three are probably fans anyway. U2 has a huge fan base that skews older, they really won't lose anything by having the album leaked early.

After I ordered it online, I caved! I want to marry this record, seriously! Things are never as good as the hype to me, but this time..... WOW! BOOYAH! I love it and I, too, feel like screaming out the window! LOL

B/C of this leak, I will definately be buying the limited edition w/ book and DVD.

See, if I had bought the album in the store on online, I would have known how darn good it was...BUT, I would have had the original album so may not have bought the limited set...

Now that I know how good it is but do not have the original CD, I will just buy the limited edition b/c I know it is worth it.

Either way I would have bought the cd....now I am just sold on buying the more expensive set.

And of course I will be buying concert tix more then once!

So U2 will be getting more $ from me b/c of the leak. There is no question about that. This is, of course, fine by me!

starsgoblue said:

Go for it! I ran out onto my porch and hollered this afternoon! It felt wonderful.

kinda like the diamond commercial. . .?

"I LOVE THIS BAND. . .I love them, I love them, I love them!"

does anybody think this could be some form of incredible grassroots marketing? could the boys be this smart? why did it leak out 2 weeks before the release date? only the die hards will be in the know about the leak and be able to start the word of mouth that this is the great album it has been wriitten to be...... just a thought

starsgoblue said:
Honestly, as of right now...I can't find news of the leak anywhere except on U2 sites....This isn't a huge disaster in my eyes.

For what it's worth, I downloaded the album from another site entirely, via bittorrent. There've been more than 2,000 downloads from that site alone, and it's nowhere near the largest bittorrent site out there.

Computer savvy folk all over the world are grabbing this album. U2 crazies like us are just a small percentage.

That being said, I'm still from the school that says file-sharing does more good than harm, and that this album will be selling many millions of copies, leak or no leak.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom