MERGED-->HTDAAB vs ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bathiu

Refugee
HTDAAB vs ATYCLB

All I have to say is that U2 are back.

It was hard waiting 7 years for a real u2 record, but it was worth it.

I have no idea what made U2 to make album like ATYCLB... but I'm glad it's behind them.

HTDAAB is fresh, great both in the sound and in melodies...

Because... you can say alot of things about ATYCLB, but you can't say that it has weak melodies... it's biggest problem was the sound of those songs... + sorry, half of the songs are simply boring and only, realy good for some special moments when you "feel like" listening to them.

ATYCLB is also weak as an "album"... hope you know what I mean.:huh:

That's not a problem with HTDAAB... like I said: it's fresh sound, the instruments are strong and "alive" - on ATYCLB they were 100% recorded digitaly - while on HTDAAB - IMO - they were recorded traditional way... and I think you can hear it.

I didn't want to say anything about the 90s U2... but IMO they are back...
This album is everything what was great in the90s AND in the 80s in U2... while ATYCLB is just... well ATYCLB and nothing more realy... sorry...

ATYCLB -> a 3rd masterpiece? NO, NEVER... well comercialy, maybe "yes"... but never musicaly and artisticaly
U2's 3rd masterpiece is HTDAAB... on this album U2 is the U2 that I love...

/edit/ oh yeah... as you might gues I'm from the "POP camp"... and forgeting everything what I said above, I think HTDAAB is a record that will unite "POP lovers" with "ATYCLB lovers"...
...my 2 cents...:wink:

Last edited:
on ATYCLB they were 100% recorded digitaly - while on HTDAAB - IMO - they were recorded traditional way... and I think you can hear it.

Hogwash! What are you saying here, they didn't record it digitally? I doubt you can even find a professional studio with tape anymore.

Of course they recorded it digitally. It's the production style that is more relaxed, organic, warm.

Mark

maybe you're right... I just remember that ATYCLB was their first album recorded that way... and because HTDAAB sounds diferent I thought that is the reason... but maybe you're right... maybe it's just the work of 8 or 9 diferent producers...

ATYCLB is not even worth mentioning. HTDAAB rules.

...yeah...

PLEASE... to all reviewers: Don't start your reviews with " A follow up to 2000's ATYCLB"... becouse af all that BS I had realy low expectations... lucky for me I was wrong...
...if to anything HTDAAB is a follow up to BOY/WAR/UF/AB/ZOOROPA/POP...but not to ATYCLB...

...it's realy some kind of strange "irony" from the faith... that between 90's and 2004 ATYCLB happened...
:macdevil: :applaud:

New decade, new trilogy of albums, new U2 direction and sound. For fun how about combining your favourite tracks from Leave Behind & Atomic Bomb? (feel free to include b-sides too)

Why are we comparing albums without being able to listen to Bomb the whole way through? Just wait, you can't get the picture of an album until you can hear it all the way through.

As far as I know, most everything is recorded digitally, but for that supposed "warm" tape sound many studios have the capability of running the digital mix back through analog tape before the mastering process.

this album is what I was expecting in 2000.

Kite is a great song but it has a lot of weaknesses. (cheesy intro strings, etc.)

Whatever. I hate the VS. threads, they're moronic. Why don't you look at it as more great music in the U2 catalogue? Why is it always a VS. thing? I now understand why George C. Scott never accepted any oscar he won.

Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love And Peace Or Else, City Of Blinding Lights, and All Because Of You all straight out rock and are single material.. and the other songs are great deep album songs

^^^ Good to hear you like HTDAAB! I haven't listened to the leaks, but judging from your previous thread stating how you were worried that the album wouldn't deliver, and comparing that to your current conviction....it seems I won't be disappointed come Nov. 23 :D

Re: HTDAAB vs ATYCLB

bathiu said:
All I have to say is that U2 are back.

It was hard waiting 7 years for a real u2 record, but it was worth it.

I have no idea what made U2 to make album like ATYCLB... but I'm glad it's behind them.

HTDAAB is fresh, great both in the sound and in melodies...

Because... you can say alot of things about ATYCLB, but you can't say that it has weak melodies... it's biggest problem was the sound of those songs... + sorry, half of the songs are simply boring and only, realy good for some special moments when you "feel like" listening to them.

ATYCLB is also weak as an "album"... hope you know what I mean.:huh:

That's not a problem with HTDAAB... like I said: it's fresh sound, the instruments are strong and "alive" - on ATYCLB they were 100% recorded digitaly - while on HTDAAB - IMO - they were recorded traditional way... and I think you can hear it.

I didn't want to say anything about the 90s U2... but IMO they are back...
This album is everything what was great in the90s AND in the 80s in U2... while ATYCLB is just... well ATYCLB and nothing more realy... sorry...

ATYCLB -> a 3rd masterpiece? NO, NEVER... well comercialy, maybe "yes"... but never musicaly and artisticaly
U2's 3rd masterpiece is HTDAAB... on this album U2 is the U2 that I love...

/edit/ oh yeah... as you might gues I'm from the "POP camp"... and forgeting everything what I said above, I think HTDAAB is a record that will unite "POP lovers" with "ATYCLB lovers"...
...my 2 cents...:wink:

Agree 100%.

After joining this board I was very suprised to find some really negative responses to ATYCLB. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I really love that album. Admittedly, I don't really keep up with current music (I'm lazy), so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it seemed like a very sincere album filled with swinging rock jams. I even wrote a letter to the local paper saying just that after their critic panned it. And they printed it!

Yeah, ATYCLB has a few less-than-stellar cuts (Grace and Peace on Earth IMO), but I think it's an excellent effort. U2 should be proud.

Sorry to ramble...

How To Leave All That You Can't Dismantle Behind

Vertigo
Kite
Miracle Drug
Beautiful Day
Elevation
SYCMIOYO
City of Blinding Lights
SIAMYCGOO
In A Little While
All Because of You
Original of the Species
Walk On
Yahweh

I really love ATYCLB but I think that HTDAAB is a more complete album- I was a bit worried that because of so many producers the album might be choppy/segmented but it flows beautifully together - the tracklisting is brilliant.

All That You Can't Leave Behind? All that you what?

Hut Dab's just blown ATYCLB out of the water. Not a single song on ATYCLB can touch Hut Dab, with the possible exclusions of Walk On and live Kite.

bathiu said:
on ATYCLB they were 100% recorded digitaly - while on HTDAAB - IMO - they were recorded traditional way... and I think you can hear it.

Actually, I think it's more accurate to say it wasn't recorded on "RADAR" like ATYCLB which sounds like fucking crap.

Lillywhite probably uses protools which is lightyears ahead. (24bit 192 Khz) Which is in fact digital.

Last edited:
HTDAAB vs. ATYCLB

HTDAAB vs. ATYCLB - HTDAAB

Vertigo vs. Beautiful Day - The battle of the first singles, but I would have to say that I like the adrenaline pumping, uplifting Beautiful Day more.

Miracle Drug vs. SIAMYCGOO - Miracle Drug. This one is close though, because I really like "the perfect pop song," but Miracle Drug is soo much more personal and classic.

SYCMIOYO vs. Elevation - SYCMIOYO. No question.

Love And Peace or Else vs. Walk On - Love and Peace or Else. Once again, a very close one, but the closer of the Elevation tour loses to the jam-band-like, 5-minute-guitar-solo that is LaPoE

Kite vs. COBL - Kite. Probably the closest on the albums, but I think Kite is more classic and catchy.

In A Little While vs. ABOY - ABOY, because ABOY rocks.

Wild Honey vs. AMAAW - Wild Honey, even though a lot of people dislike this song, I like it and think that it is better than AMAAW, but I had to think about this one a little bit.

PoE vs. Crumbs From Your Table - Crumbs, but this isn't really fair since Crumbs is one of my favorites and PoE is my least favorite.

WILATW vs. One Step Closer - Tie, both songs seem to go nowhere and do nothing, really, except get stuck in your head.

New York vs. OOTS - OOTS because I love The Beatles and so do U2. :wink:

Grace vs. Yaweh - Grace because although Yaweh is a good tune, I believe that Jerusalem belongs to Israel and the song is too political and opinionated whereas Grace is simply beautiful and poetic.

This one's pretty clear.

Beautiful Day versus Vertigo - Vertigo in a somewhat close battle.

Stuck versus Miracle Drug - Miracle Drug by about ten thousand miles.

Elevation versus SYCMIOYO - SYCMIOYO by just about as many miles as above.

Walk On versus LAPOE - LAPOE by heaps of miles again, even though Walk On is one of my favourite U2 songs.

Kite versus COBL - COBL in a somewhat close battle. Kite only really becomes special a couple of verses in. COBL, however, is perfect.

In A Little While versus ABOY - ABOY. Not only does ABOY rock, this contest is totally unfair because IALW's only redeeming feature is the "a man takes a rocketship" verse.

Wild Honey versus A Man And A Woman - AMAAW without a doubt. Wild Honey and IALW are the two worst tracks on ATYCLB.

Peace On Earth versus Crumbs From Your Table - CFYT in another totally unfair battle. CFYT has just broken the curse of track eight.

WILATW versus OSC - OSC easily, for its subtle beauty and soothing brilliance.

New York versus OOTS - OOTS for obvious reasons.

Grace versus Yahweh - Yahweh, by yet more miles. Grace may be criminally under-rated, but it can't touch Yahweh.

Hmm. ATYCLB versus HTDAAB. ATYCLB, perhaps? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom