MERGED --> How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-Official Album Title Thread + New Album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zoopop said:
I really like the title. It sounds like a political album and it clearly states, to me at least, U2's music can overcome these crappy times were in (War, Terisom and such). U2 did step up to plate with a BALLZ title. Good job guys.

couldn't say better.

it's not a title that we should expected from a band that's been around for 25 years and have conquered the world a lot of times.
There's an idea behind this title. It suggests that it's not a protest album but an album with... suggestions. Yep, suggestions to dismantle the atomic bombs that we see everyday (aids, terror, war and so on). And if the suggestion is love, i don't see anything wrong in that.

They wouldn't need such a risked title. Looks they're not playing safe. It's all or nothing. Love it, love them.

Hail to HTDAAB

If the tour is called: Atomic Tour that'd kick some ass. I like the title, I can see the Biblical reference in it, it's a takeoff of Ecclesiates 'beating swords for ploughshares'. The goal is still soul! I think the theme of how to dismantle an object of destruction is love!

Love it!

i'm confused:scratch:

i think its a damn cool name for an album... any album though, doesnt matter whose...
but a U2 album??? i dunno, i think i need to hear some music from it before i think it "fits"
bring on Vertigo!!!

It's a takeoff/biblical reference to Ecclesiastes! "beating swords for ploughshares" is now HTDAAB.... the only way to trump an item of destruction=love That's the theme, love is a revolution in it's own right!

People are starting to like it because they don't have much choice.

starsgoblue said:
If the tour is called: Atomic Tour that'd kick some ass. I like the title, I can see the Biblical reference in it, it's a takeoff of Ecclesiates 'beating swords for ploughshares'. The goal is still soul! I think the theme of how to dismantle an object of destruction is love!

Love it!

Forgive me for being an asshole, but why does it have to have some form of biblical significance? It frustrates me so much when people automatically try to attach biblical references to stuff simply because it's U2.

Maybe they named it HTDAAB because it's a full on, in your face kind of title with relevance to the current times in which we live.

Grrrrrrr... ;)

Eh; I didn't like it at all at first, in fact, I HATED it.

But it's growing on me, I suppose.

I still think "Vertigo" would have been a better title.

SmileyGladhands said:

Forgive me for being an asshole, but why does it have to have some form of biblical significance? It frustrates me so much when people automatically try to attach biblical references to stuff simply because it's U2.

Maybe they named it HTDAAB because it's a full on, in your face kind of title with relevance to the current times in which we live.

Grrrrrrr... ;)

Smiley, pardon my French but you are being an ass. It doesn't HAVE to have any biblical significance at all...it just happens to be a reference. You don't see me pulling a reference out for titles like Pop or anything do you? Gimme a break. Is it hurting you to have me contribute my .02? You know as much as I do--nothing. It's all speculation.

Last edited:
Like others said, the fact is we still haven't heard the album. We may hear it, and go "This is the most appropriate title they could have used." I don't know.

I personally thought it would have made for a FANTASTIC song name, but not necessarily an album name. However, I have no choice in the matter, and like many others here it's really growing on me. What a ballsy title for sure!

I will reserve full judgement until I have seen the artwork/theme on the sleeve AND heard the album. Off hand, I don't care for the title. Although I also remember in 1987 saying the same thing when The Joshua Tree was announced as the title. So it will probebly grow on me. I think U2 are just trying to be different and make sure the title stands out. Vertigo would have been a decent title, but seems pretty obvious.

I love it! When I first heard it as a rumored title, I didn't think it was so great, but it grew on me, and then I started to think it would make an excellent title, and I started hoping for it. I don't really know why, it just seems like such a strong name. I guess, if nothing else, it may attract attention to album, just for the title alone. Not that U2 needs it.

Hey Roland...

"Joshuaey"...LOVE the new adjective

Oooohh, this is getting fun already. The guys haven't played around with images in quite a while. When you've been a fan for as long as I have (I'm 35, been a fan since I was 12) you get you read certain signs.

I know I'm not alone--somebody picked up the Biblical ref on the cover of ATYCLB within hours of the release and posted their interpretation online. Which turned out to be correct--and someone from the band said, "Wow, that was fast."

Ditto about the shades. There was a game I liked to play in the 80's when new albums came out--"which band member is wearing white/is turned to the side/has straight hair or a hat"? I thought this was too obsessive of me, but in retrospect it revealed a lot about the albums.

So: Edge stands out here! In the past it was Bono.

Musically--he's either the disc's savior or its albatross (its cross to carry--he'd be the martyr, notice his T shirt. Depends on whether people would see a guitar-based album as a complete regression for the band--or its salvation, given the lyrical matter at hand? Or both? A necessary evil? Or a lesson to all the would-be heirs and posers today--to show them THIS is how it is really done"? Do we need this right now--or is it more important to lead in other directions.

This could turn into a "chicken and egg" argument--is primal guitar rage the only way to express real passion and anger about a world such as ours is right now, did the band knowingly make this decision to musically "regress" or did the decision come after the lyrics were written--the only way to "speak" like this is in the old fashioned language of rock? Did they "grow" into it? And how will the media react?

And that's not even about the title..See my "woody Guthrie."this machine kills fascists" post the other day...

Oh boy... the evangelical Christian folks at u2sermons.blogspot.com are probably already gabbling about Edge's shirt. (FANTASTIC site for the spiritually minded--they're like the big "mothership" and several Christain sites link to theirs.)

Excuse me..I have to go over there and check the reaction...

Last edited:
I'm going to have listen to the album first before I can make an opinion on the title, like everyone else. The title is long, which makes me not like it too much. It sort of sounds silly too, but who knows? Maybe the music would be cool.

I am not liking Bono's hair at all. If he's going to go back having dark hair again, fine, but the length and style is ridiculous. He looks like he's trying to be JT Bono again, and it doesn't look good or even fit with who he is now.

Oh. My. God.

Who says Evangelicals have no sense of humor. Everybody: get your butts over to the aforementioned website I just talked about. Under the story "Blogging U2" on the homepage, they have a link to a Christian artist who has put on his new Cd a "we Will, We Will Rock You'-type audio of George W. Bush doing "Sunday Bloody Sunday."

I kid you not...

I laugh my a#% off if Iraq wasn't happening...

bedouin fire said:

couldn't say better.

it's not a title that we should expected from a band that's been around for 25 years and have conquered the world a lot of times.
There's an idea behind this title. It suggests that it's not a protest album but an album with... suggestions. Yep, suggestions to dismantle the atomic bombs that we see everyday (aids, terror, war and so on). And if the suggestion is love, i don't see anything wrong in that.

They wouldn't need such a risked title. Looks they're not playing safe. It's all or nothing. Love it, love them.

Hail to HTDAAB

Yes.

I am thrilled this is the title. It's exactly what I would want from U2 right now: stepping up to the plate with something worthwhile and a real head spinner.
I'm willing to say that it's my favorite album title from them so far.

well....Zooropa was the coolest...but it didn't mean anything significant.
The Unforgettable Fire was my favorite title.

Worst title: Pop.... by a million miles.

If the music is as ballsy as the album title, and it's the classic U2 sound, well, they've just catapulted themselves beyond the Rolling Stones....second only to the beatles as Greatest Rock Band Of All Time.

imo.

I like it, liked it when it was just a rumour. It´s indeed quite philosophical,as McCormick said. And I agree with bedouin fire...they are not playing safe having a title like this. And I like that, yes I do.

MT

I'm sussing the title for sure!! its definitely different!!! with all this news and new pics....its starting to up the U2 anty here. Time to almost get things started! Cant wait for the ride!

I was wondering, How do you Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

Answer: With a lot of balls.

Which brings me to say thats what the album will sound like. Ballsy and aggressive. How else would you dismantle it. Carefully maybe. But you really have to be a bit crazy and a person with no fear to approach something like that so maybe thats why they went with that title.

Also since we know the shits going down with Iran and North Korea concerning nuclear weapons maybe theres a political tie in there.

Any thoughts?

artdirector said:
I was wondering, How do you Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

Answer: With a lot of balls.

Any thoughts?

Too much balls and you're likely to blow yourself up. :laugh:

Actually, artdirector, Bono is quoted as saying that you dismantle an atomic bomb with love. I can't remember which interview I read, but it is around here.

Back
Top Bottom