MERGED-->How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? + atu2 received 2nd confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RademR

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

One of the reasons I posted this was just to get away from the whole Henry Rollins, INDIE fiasco and post something about the new album on this board "where the album has no name". Anyway, I just got this off @u2.com.

_ _ _ _ _ _

@U2 has heard through the grapevine that a Universal Records rep. in Australia/New Zealand has confirmed that U2's new album will be called How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Our attempts to get a second confirmation on the name are so far unsuccessful, but we'll keep trying. Further, a Dutch music site listing new album releases for the rest of 2004 also lists U2's new album with that same title:

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/maga...tals=2534202&magazines=10719222&news=13000182

Such a complete list of releases would presumably be culled from official record company information.

Meanwhile, the Australia/New Zealand source also reports that the deluxe edition of the album will contain a bonus track (which we guess will be only offered in Australia/New Zealand), and that U2 is committed to bringing their tour down under in November or December of 2005.

All of this is unconfirmed at this point.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

doesnt look good for the HTDAAB haters, I could really care less what the title of the album is.

I love this title so much more that the last one. I remember the hate fans had here when U2 released that title. But, to me, U2 haven't mastered album titles. The greatest album of all time, the Joshua Tree, just doesn't sound all that great. Zooropa was kinda cool though. I really don't dwell on album titles too much. Song titles, yeah maybe. But it is all about the music baby! :yes:

Hmm I'm not yet sure how I feel about the "dismantle" title.

I thought McCormick said in that interview that all titles that were circling around were false...? Wouldn't that include How to... (U2 really needs to go back to shorter album titles lol) as well?

On second thought, it is time for an album title that reflects the mood/idea/theme after the "lyrics borrowed" title that was ATYCLB.

I'm just worried how some U2 bashers/critics will prey on the word "Bomb" in the title. Otherwise, I like it.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I've really loved this title ever since it was first rumored and was really hoping that it would indeed turn out to be the title, so...yay! :yes:

U2girl said:
Hmm I'm not yet sure how I feel about the "dismantle" title.

I thought McCormick said in that interview that all titles that were circling around were false...? Wouldn't that include How to... (U2 really needs to go back to shorter album titles lol) as well?

On second thought, it is time for an album title that reflects the mood/idea/theme after the "lyrics borrowed" title that was ATYCLB.

McCormick was also babbling how it was a difficult title, a philosophical title, blah blah bhah. I thought for sure they would reconsider. In the grand scheme of things, titles mean zip, but they are definitely going out on a limb with this one, them being U2 and all.

never trut a dutchie is the old saying, right?

Not bad either way, I stopped caring about the title about a year ago, before then I wanted a really cool title, but i have to say, Miracle Drug sounded lame but I love it now, after hearing the title etc...

ATYCLB grew on me and I love it. I mean, a song called 'beautiful day'...not very origional, edgy, etc...but i love and it's tied with WOWY for favorite song!

Even Achtung Baby, i woulda been like, WTF? that doesn't make sense, its not even english, and i think it's their coolest title.

Also, if we hear the title before the music, it doesn't make sense, but when the album is in our cd players (can't wait) we may not imagine how any other name could have been considere for the album.

I forgot to add that I think we'll get some great imagery and symbols for this title, and i think it's more of, "dismantaling the IDEA of an atomic bomb," as in an emergency, Aids perhaps, not literally "down with A-bombs...they kill stuff"

HTDAAB

The acronym sounds okay!

Seriously, I have mixed emotions about this title. It is a catchy title. I mean, once you hear it, you don't forget it. I think I'll wait to pass further judgement until the title is officially released.

In U2 album title land I think it would land like this for me on the top 5:

1. Zooropa
2. A. Baby
3. HTDAAB
4. The Passengers Soundtrack
5. U. Fire

So yeah, I like it.
I always enjoy the quirky ones the most.
Plain titles don't do as much for me.
But I'll admit it's also a mouthful.
It's way better than ATYCLB, which was a mouthful AND sounds cliche'...
Then of course there's October, Boy, POP and War–all of which are quick out of the mouth.

I think it's a great title. It works on several levels. Kind of violent sounding (just the whole notion of an A-bomb), but a pacifist message. Plus, it's kind of like telling the fans, "Here, this is our creation, see what you can make of it". And the whole Africa/Aids thing.

Eh... I don't like it much. Bono promised no songs about AIDS or the war I thought, and I really don't want any, but if this is the title I'm afraid that will be the theme of the album. Plus it kinda makes them sound like hippie pacifists... oh Lord no.

Of course I could be 100% wrong, and this "bomb" isn't AIDS or a war. Whatever. I just don't like the name much either way. It's pretty long too.

Oh well, I'll love the album so in the long run it probably doesn't matter.

Personally, I like it. It's very catchy - and that's what you want in an album name. I haven't forgotten it since I first heard about it. It really doesn't bother me either that it's long. I mean, U2 have been doing long song titles/album names ever since "I Threw a Brick Through a Window". And as for the title being the theme of the entire album...well, I think that's a bit of a premature prediction. And even if it is the theme, I don't mind some good martial music...that's what made War so good; that angry sound. I think U2 - and the rest of us - have a lot to be angry about these days, so it would be fitting.

GibsonGirl said:
And as for the title being the theme of the entire album...well, I think that's a bit of a premature prediction. And even if it is the theme, I don't mind some good martial music...that's what made War so good; that angry sound. I think U2 - and the rest of us - have a lot to be angry about these days, so it would be fitting.

Well I think it's interesting it's How to dismantle an atomic bomb - neither a question or a claim/instruction nor an answer because they didn't put a punctuation mark.

I could easily see post 9/11 world and Bono's father's death having a big influence on this album, so it could be a angry/darker album.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I could easily see post 9/11 world and Bono's father's death having a big influence on this album, so it could be a angry/darker album.

So could I. 9/11 changed the world completely, so there's bound to be some sort of influence. And losing your father can't exactly be a cup of tea either... I like "dark" U2, so it will be very interesting to see if they really have been influenced by all of these recent events. Of course, I wish there weren't all of these reasons for the band to be angry, but at least it makes for good music.

On a somewhat related note.... I haven't been keeping up on much with regards to opinions on song titles, so someone might have mentioned this already, but "Miracle Drug" sounds like a reference to AIDS to me.

for those who don't like the title, simply slide the booklet and liner outs and insert this catchy little cover instead...

cdcase.bmp

... i think you'll find it more appealing.

Back
Top Bottom