MERGED-->How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? + atu2 received 2nd confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My opinions on the title are secondary to my hopes for the actual quality of the album...if the songs are great then the title will become great too by assocation! ;)

u2ulysses said:

And I also think it's agreat philosophical idea, especially when Bono said the answer is "with love". :yes:

I do too.

I also like that it's the same answer as "All that You can't Leave Behind" (heart in suitcase or love).

nurse chrissi said:
Jack Bauer could dismantle the atomic bomb - take out the terrorist and save his dausther from a raging montain lion while going through withdrawl of herion without breaking a sweat
....and he would have found the SOB that stole Edge's CD by now and they would have taken a looong walk.
sorry - love Jack Bauer:)

:laugh:

Never mess with Jack Bauer. :up:

James Bond is the only person who can diffuse a bomb with 2 seconds to go and not have me wish someone would instantly come up behind them and bludgeon them to death for being such a smug bastard. Therefore James Bond is the greatest and therefore U2 should write the theme tune for the next James Bond film. And actually play it this time.

Last edited:
You know, this album title is growing on me.
Here's my timeline

When first heard about it as a possible title: 2/5 stars

@U2 getting reliable info: 3/5 stars

After much debate on this thread: 4/5 stars

Dalkey Beach said:
n the Bible God says there won't be peace on earth until Jesus comes back, so you can forget that.

I'll shoot from the hip with you shart. I am involved in working with U2...
What makes you think we can forget about Jesus returning?

are you of the Jewish faith....they deny Jesus has even come?

Sorry I took so long to respond.

No I'm not of the Jewish faith. I believe everything the Bible says. I guess I didn't elaborate well enough hehe. Yeah Jesus has already came to the earth, but there won't be peace on earth until he comes back and establishes a kingdom here after Armageddon. Like I said though, I don't think striving for peace is foolish or that we should just think "hey the world will never be fully peacefull so we may as well not try!!". The Bible says that until Jesus returns there will still be sinners though, which is totally true. So, until the earth isn't corrupt, it won't be 100% peaceful.

I agree with Bono on one thing though, I'm tired of hearing there's gonna be peace on earth!!! Not till Jesus comes back people.

Last edited:
yeah but Bono also says he wants a little piece of heaven here and now....

Jesus will fully restore the kingdom when he comes but he has already binded the power of the enemy in the here and now....we see in part but not fully We are living in the kingdom of the now and the not yet, remember the Lord's prayer 'let your will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven'

i still say if they're gonna go with the atomic bomb thing, do a twist off Kubrick's movie title ....

starsgoblue said:
yeah but Bono also says he wants a little piece of heaven here and now....

Jesus will fully restore the kingdom when he comes but he has already binded the power of the enemy in the here and now....we see in part but not fully We are living in the kingdom of the now and the not yet, remember the Lord's prayer 'let your will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven'

We all want a piece of heaven here and now. Sometimes I feel like I get it, sometimes I'm amazed by how overjoyed I can be with life. Sometimes I just wanna run around screaming how happy I am.

But then we can have a little bit of hell here too. Sometimes I can feel like I just wanna fade away into nothingness and never hurt again (which, of course is impossible). Heck, there's been times I've asked God not to let me wake up the next morning.

Lately it's been more hell for me heh. Problems with my girlfriend have left me really wanting this new U2 album or ANYTHING I can connect with emotionally. Of course I can't rely on U2 to give my life meaning... but man I need something to hold onto.

Take my advice people, don't take the little bit of heaven you have for granted, cause if you do you'll probably lose it!!!

Ok I'm done venting.

BostonAnne said:

I also like that it's the same answer as "All that You can't Leave Behind" (heart in suitcase or love).

Yeah, great connection - I didn't see that. Clearly there is a theme running here lately - just another angle on it.

Of course, the theme of love isn't new to U2 at all. AB was an album on nothing but love. Love of a son to a father ("One") or between two lovers (most songs) or of Jesus/God. It was about new love, exciting love, sensuous love, etc.

With ATYCLB, the love themes were carried over, but more emphasis on brotherly love (whereas AB seemed a bit more about two lovers). But ATYCLB, like AB, still had songs about God and lovers.

Therefore, I'm sure this new album will carry this theme even further. And given the political climate, I wouldn't be surprised to see some JT-era idea lyrics either.

Regardless, I like the idea of the album title - now to hear the album. :)

Last edited:
I like the general idea of this title, but it's so long and awkward-sounding. However, at this point I'm really beyond caring. Just give me the freakin' album already.

u2ulysses said:
Of course, the theme of love isn't new to U2 at all. AB was an album on nothing but love. Love of a son to a father ("One") or between two lovers (most songs) or of Jesus/God. It was about new love, exciting love, sensuous love, etc.

Yes, I agree in some general sense that the theme of AB was about love, but it should not be mistaken for the love represented on All That... . AB was more specifically about betrayal and reflected that period of the Edge's divorce with Aislinn.

One is no doubt about relationships. And, yes, there are many ways to interpret it. However, when you hear that phrase, "have you come here for forgiveness/ have you come to raise the dead/ have you come here to play Jesus/ To the lepers in your head?" You can't deny there is a sense of guilt there that someone ended something.

Until the End of the World. One of my favorites of course! The ultimate betrayal. Judas on Jesus.

So Cruel. So underrated. A lot has been said that this song was specifically about the Edge and Aislinn's split.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. Sexual jealousy at its peak in song form. God, I love that Temple Bar Mix! I need to play this now.

Love is Blindness. "Love is blindness/I don't want to see." Sometimes a bitter pill to swallow when in reality that we really don't want to know "if." Another perfect tune that hammers home deceit, infidelity, and betrayal.

I think this is why we love this record so much. It is dark. It is full of hurt. And who here has not had a break-up and NOT felt right at home with this record in the changer.

In that sense, it is absolutely nothing like All That... .

I agree with you Roland. AB was a dark, dark album. ATYCLB was greyish, at most. It was far less visceral, which, interestingly, is a word that Bono used recently to describe the new album. I want this new album to be visceral, gutsy, wrenching, like AB, but with the positive forward musical motion of Boy. Wouldn't that be cool?

biff said:
I want this new album to be visceral, gutsy, wrenching, like AB, but with the positive forward musical motion of Boy. Wouldn't that be cool?

Yeah, that would be really cool. :cool:

When that Chicago girl with the hypersonic speed., Dalkey, said it is Boy meets AB, I SO wanted to believe that. ...and for awhile, I did. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That person, "Dalkey" was only exploiting our desperation by gathering together in one place all of the impressions that have been presented about this new album. Some of these impressions have come from people who have actually heard the album (unlike the "Dalkey" creature). I believe we are very close to having a good idea of what this record will sound like, and "Dalkey" did not originate the idea that it might be AB crossed with Boy. That has come from many more reliable sources. So Roland, keep believing.

P.S. I 'm enjoying this Dalkey Beach fellow (or fella). Whether or not he's got good information, it sure is fun debating what we do and do not know. You can get all bent out of shape about it, but in the end it won't really matter.

i think this title would be quite appropriate, it is a great title, i remember titles such achtung baby, zooropa or pop weren't claiming so much enthusiasm in the earlier times, but we discovered how much symbiosis there was with the themes and the strength of the songs, and this will be the same case for the new album. the fact that there's the word bomb, or atomic bomb does not include automatically that someone who doesn't know U2 very well should be think negative or just recall the word bomb when talking about "the new u2 album" with someone....they made an album called war at the beginning of their career, the rest is history :wink:

P.S. I 'm enjoying this Dalkey Beach fellow (or fella). Whether or not he's got good information, it sure is fun debating what we do and do not know. You can get all bent out of shape about it, but in the end it won't really matter.

yep, you just never know who is who on these boards IP address or no.. just when you think you know.. well really everything you think you know is sometimes wrong, better to play nice

BostonAnne said:

I do too.

I thought ATYCLB was about "Soul" . One of the working titles was "Titanium Soul". This album, if its called HTDAAB would definately be about "Love" but also "Death"

I really hate the "Atomic..." title, and I think his response "With love" is way too cliche and overdone. Love never gets old, but running around saying you can just save the world "with love" gets old.

Imagine if when asked by the press what President Bush would do about Iraq, he responsed "We'll just solve it with love" what the hell would our country think? He'd be impeached by now for being a lunatic.

PowerSurge said:
Imagine if when asked by the press what President Bush would do about Iraq, he responsed "We'll just solve it with love" what the hell would our country think? He'd be impeached by now for being a lunatic.

Well, Bono is a lunatic, so he can get away with saying this....P.S. are you saying "W" ain't a lunatic.....:ohmy:

I don't get it- of course love is the only answer. What other answer is there?

elfyx said:
I don't get it- of course love is the only answer. What other answer is there?

are you serious?

Lets get real here for a second:

When you go to a PTA meeting and hear that there is not enough funding for five essential programs to teach our children...would you stand up and say "The Answer is With love"

When your factory is closing up shop and moving to another country, was it because there wasn't enough "Love".

When your cousin's wife is diagnosed with cancer, and is fighting for her life, which eventually is lost. Do you tell me she would have been saved "With love".

Just a few real world examples that I have come across. I know what you are saying.

I understand the "love" thing. But why is it acceptable for Rock Stars and artists to run around flashing peace signs and saying things like solving the world's problems "With Love".

Because they don't have to solve the problems, they write about the them or make a piece of art about them. The real people that have to save lives: presidents, world leaders, soldiers, fire fighters, doctors can't just go to work and say solve it "with love".

This is reality, not the fanstasy thats on a CD or hanging on a wall. This is life. Love is a result, not a solution.

"Communication, Understanding, and compassion are the seeds from which the fruit of love grows"

I agree with the above poster. "With love" isn't an interesting philosophical idea, it's pure fluff. I know U2 aren't in the position to be pragmatic when it comes to global relations, but they don't have to be so patronizing about it either. It's not so easy. What kind of love dismantles atomic bombs? The kind of love that enjoys watching the free world get conquered by merciless hatred? Is there no love in fighting back and protecting loved ones from the needless violence of Islamic radicals or rogue regimes? Doesn't love also sometimes fight for what it believes in? Why should love just let itself be wiped off the face of the earth by hatred? "With love" is such a naive answer. There is a reason philosophy is still a perilous pursuit; the answer isn't so simple and the question of war and global suffering cannot be answered by such a glib phrase.

Thumbs down on the alledged album title. Quit giving us milk and throw us some meat.

Last edited:
well it depend on what your saying by " love" to me that answer is all encompassing and love is a huge philisohphical idea that has a whole lot of concepts wrapped up in it.. so it's not the sort of "love" corney mushey fluff idea but rather a grand scale ..
so in the end the answer is really that simple you can cover it up with fluff but the idea behind it is bigger then that.. it's letting go of greed and self interest, blame and guilt and us vrs them and so many other things

Back
Top Bottom