MERGED-->How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? + atu2 received 2nd confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if we just dismantled our atomic bombs "with love" the entire world would follow? Or would tyrants simply find it easier to dominate the earth? Sometimes when you drop bombs on people like Hitler, you actually liberate people. So this idea of bombs being "hatred" and "love" dismantling them is pure sentimental fluff. And it makes for a cheesy album title.

Something I have been curious about is the word "dismantle" in the title. Why "dismantle" and not "disarm" an atomic bomb.

dis·man·tle

1. To take apart; disassemble; tear down.
2. To put an end to in a gradual systematic way: dismantling the cumbersome regulations for interstate trucking.
2. To strip of furnishings or equipment: dismantled the house before knocking it down.
3. To strip of covering or clothing.

dis·arm

1. To divest of a weapon or weapons.
2. To deprive of the means of attack or defense; render harmless: “Have the courage to appear poor, and you disarm poverty of its sharpest sting” (Washington Irving).
1. To overcome or allay the suspicion, hostility, or antagonism of.
2. To win the confidence of.

I dunno, what with all the shite happeneing in the world, people finding knew ways to kill each other..people villinating each other for whatever reason, I find the idea of dismantling an atomic bomb with love an very heartening message, epecially coming from a rock n' roll band.

I also like it because it illicits some sort of emotional response from people, whether you think its complete bull or you really like the idea. I thik it wouldn't nearly be as interesting if it was some sort of cliche answer. Because whether you think its fluff or not, dismantling an atomic bomb with love is certainly not cliche. Its not the answer alot of people would expect. It will leave some thinking to themselves "wtf" and others saying "oh, thats really neat, I never thought of that."

Last edited:
Well if the title is really with the ?, that opens more possibilities.

As for "love", it has worked in the past. Remember Gandhi defeated Britain by non-violent resistance, as MLK defeated rasists during the civil rights struggle in America. You can kill a man but you won't kill the idea.

On one hand, "bomb" and "love" (and "boy and a girl" description) could mean just that there will be more rocking, guitar filled songs (like Electrical storm) and softer, mid-tempo songs (like Hands that built America - both songs were from the early sessions for this album).

On the other hand, I think that the artist who gave that idea was commenting on the songs he heard, (he also gave the "Vertigo" name for the song) so it could be only his impression on one song.

From atU2.com:
British artist Damien Hirst offered "Vertigo" and "How to Deconstruct an Atomic Bomb" as possible song titles after hearing some of U2's new material.

Adding further intrigue is word from an @U2 reader that Christian singer Michael W. Smith told a concert crowd last month about a recent conversation he had with Bono, during which Bono shared a possible album title: How to Dismantle the Atomic Bomb. As Smith tells the story, Bono asked if he (Smith) knew how to dismantle an atomic bomb. Smith said "no," and Bono answered his own question: "Love. With love."

Last edited:
Roland of Gilead said:

Yes, I agree in some general sense that the theme of AB was about love, but it should not be mistaken for the love represented on All That... . AB was more specifically about betrayal and reflected that period of the Edge's divorce with Aislinn.

I agree, which is why I actually wrote that in my post. :yes:

Originally posted by U2Ulysses
With ATYCLB, the love themes were carried over, but more emphasis on brotherly love (whereas AB seemed a bit more about two lovers).

It's obvious Bono was heavily influenced by Edge's divorce, but as is typical with Bono, he writes from all perspectives. This is why I claim that AB is more about the love between two lovers, whether this be a new love or a sensuous love, or a broken love e.g., "Even Better Than...", "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Love Is Blindness", "Trying to Throw...", "UltraViolet", "So Cruel"). There are other themes, such as love of man to God ("Until the End..." and arguably "Mysterious Ways") and of brotherly love, but mostly AB is about lovers.

In contrast though, ATYCLB seemed to focus more on brotherly love, or love of fellow humans ("Walk On", "Stuck...", "Peace on Earth", "Kite", "New York" and even "Beautiful Day"). There were a few songs that dealt with love of man to God ("Elevation", "Grace" and arguably "When I Look at the World"), but clearly the emphasis on ATYCLB was brotherly love.

If "How to Dismantle..." is indeed the title, with Bono saying the answer is "love", once again this theme of love carries through.

It'll be interesting to see which way Bono pushes this love though. More questions dealing with God (and Bono usually has one or two on most albums)? Or will Bono take a bit more political route this time in his lyrics (as on "War" and JT)? Alternatively, Bono may once again focus n brotherly love (and based on the the current world, we probably need this most of all).

It may sound corny but it's the truth---love is the only way to change anything. If we can't get along together (as humanity goes) we 'aint gonna make it, I can tell you that much. Nobody can go it alone. May sound trite and it may be mocked but love is actually a revolutionary concept.

starsgoblue said:
It may sound corny but it's the truth---love is the only way to change anything. If we can't get along together (as humanity goes) we 'aint gonna make it, I can tell you that much. Nobody can go it alone. May sound trite and it may be mocked but love is actually a revolutionary concept.

That's true, but sometimes love is tough. Sometimes you have to fight in order to preserve love. Sometimes you have to fight to rid the world of people who only hate (coughterroristscough). Some people don't listen to love, and can't be negotiated with. How could someone who slaughters little babies be trusted? They can't.

Love is tough sometimes, and isn't as simple as "I love you, you love me, the world is a happy family". We all wish it was, but that's pretty darn wishful thinking. While there's times to be idealistic there's times to be REALISTIC.

What alot of people consider evil (war) in reality is sometimes. a form of love. I don't see how letting your own people die at the hands of murderers is a form of love (to you pacifists :p).

Last edited:
I dunno, it seems to me that with war your almost giving up love in some ways. Your giving up your love for your enemy, because you cannot shot 100 rounds at him and still love him.

And no one said they would let their loved ones die at the hands of murderers.

indigo tree said:
I dunno, it seems to me that with war your almost giving up love in some ways. Your giving up your love for your enemy, because you cannot shot 100 rounds at him and still love him.

And no one said they would let their loved ones die at the hands of murderers.

Yeah but what do you do? Let them kill you and alot of other people? That's not love. Love is letting as many people live as you can. Even in the Bible God says that sometimes it's necissary to go to war. I think if anyone knows true love it's God. When God told David to fling that rock at Goliath's head it wasn't meant to knock him unconcious :|

Last edited:
C'mon people. You're assuming too much from the album title. Bono has always been comtemptuous of the "peace and love" Sixties. Not the idealism of the period, but the lack of concrete action.
Love CAN dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Imagine a potential terrorist in Africa who is saved by the generosity of the West--or at least by AIDS drugs made be Western countries. He would probably be a lot less likely to blow up New York now wouldn't he?
Love can be more than idealism. It can be practical too.

Sometimes it's more destructive to do nothing than it is to go to war.

Imagine how the world would be if we decided not to fight in WWII.

Last edited:
Imagine if Hitler had felt love...

Yes, war was unavoidable in this instance but it was brought on by a man who had no love within him.

Last edited:
this really getting sidetracked but didnt he love that Eva/Ava chick? And didnt he commence schooling to become a priest? Surely he must have loved the Christian God at some point? (before it all went to pot)

I don't believe Hitler ever expressed an interest in the priesthood, but I know an expert I can ask. His relationship with Eva Braun is a bit of a mystery. She was, as you might expect, deeply subservient to him; it was not what I would define as a love relationship.
On the plus side, he absolutely adored dogs, and he was a vegetarian. Bet you didn't know that!

Can we get much farther off topic??

To put this on topic my point is the answer to the dismantling an atomic bomb with love is not such a cornball idea. And the idea that love and peace aren't related is bull honkey.

Of course love is needed for peace, but it's not all that's needed.

Heck, if love is all we need why should we even put criminals in jail? It's not very loving to rob someone of their life by locking em up in a prison? Why should i defend my family against a man with a knife that's broken into my house? Hurting him isn't very loving is it?

The fact is that love isn't as simple as just loving everyone and them loving you back. That's in an ideal world, which we DON'T have. That's basically Heaven. We live in a world with evil men and women who don't give a rat's arse wheather I love them or not. Are they capable of love? I don't know. Maybe. But I'm not gonna let them stab me in the throat while I wait to find out

Yeah, if someone loved you they wouldn't break into your house. If I loved the criminal would that persuade him not to kill me? No. He just wants to rape my wife or swipe my TV. Should I show him love by not swinging a baseball bat at him while he rapes my wife and swipes my TV? Ummmm... no...

See, God says to love everyone, even your enemies. Does God say to let your enemies rape and pillage you? No... the Bible says people like that are EVIL and need to be stopped, even killed. Do you think God wanted us to "love" Hitler while he piled up thousands of bodies? Do you think God wanted David to "love" Goliath and sling flowers at him? Of course not. God wants us to protect ourselves.

And no, God is not a god of sweet happy thoughts all the time. The Bible says he's a jealous God who doesn't put up with sin. If you've ever read the Bible you'd see that God was a god of love and a god of war. He commanded his people MANY times to go to war. Jesus came to justify AND TO OVERTHROW.

If we were all pacifists the world would be ruled by bloodthirsty dictators like Hitler and Ghengis Khan. That wouldn't be a very loving world would it?

We can promote love all we want to. We can put it on TV and billboards and music all we want but until humans get rid of their ugly sin nature, which won't be any time soon wheather we like it or not, we'll unfortunately have to deal with people who don't love and don't care about anyone but themselves. And that's life. We gotta deal with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom