MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
babyman said:

:eek:

:wink:

Hallo, alter Freund! Der Hamster lebt noch!

:)

Hallo mein Mann! !!!!!

Ich wundere mich, wenn der Hamster irgendeine Auszeichnungen nächste Zeit herum gewinnen wird.

Although I doubt it.

Also I don't think that hijacking such a high profile thread with German would go down too well.

I agree that "One" was amazing. No, it wasn't exactly totally on key or anything, but Mary J. Blige's vocals were incredible.

This will be regarded as on of the top performances by the casual fan.

jacobus said:
:no: the grammy awards are just ridiculous...IMO U2 won't deserve any award this year.
SYCMIOYO - wtf why choose this cheesy song as winner? i can't stand it.
ALBUM OF THE YEAR and ROCK(!) ALBUM OF THE YEAR :lol: for such a lukewarm album i just can't get it. what a waste. there is much more better and more interesting music around on the blue planet.

:madspit:

ooh, I'm glad I'm missing any "hate" about the One performance on the grammys...
I thought it was very powerful....
Mary takes it somewhere else, and I can see where some 'purists' or people who don't stand for Edge's solo being sung over would not like it, but it changes interestingly as a duet, and with the way she attacks the song. When I saw her do it with them at the katrina thing it had a quieter version of the same vibe as last night, but it becomes so much more a 'lament' of sorts, and a deep pleading quality, both because of the two voices instead of one, and because of who she is and how she sings..
I really like it and how this collaboration doesn't feel like just a variation on performing One so that it feels 'fresh' or something, but how it has something different to say. I love One, and I think that this particular spin on it highlights how profound it is as a song, that it can feel to me at once transformed and solidly the same.
and yeah, her vocals ended up a little straying at a point or two, but that's the risk you run when you pour so much out as she did, and I think the payoff was great....

cheers all!

Did anyone think it was funny when Bono said elephant "dirt"? It was like he was planning on saying "shit", caught himself, and then said the first word that was remotely related.

Anyway...I had a laugh.

People end up hating things that are change.....U2 changed the way they sing that song....It was a sure fire way to get "ONE" in there in reference to the campaign....And less not we forget that they have played this song before in concert, and also have rehearsed so Bono knew what he was getting himself into...:ohmy:

I'm just so jealous of you all - i've been on here on and off all day to check out what's been happening with the grammys - they arent on tv here in oz until tomorrow night - i guess the channel that has the rights here didn't want to compete with 'Lost' tonight - oh well, will have the dvd recorder ready tomorrow night :eyebrow:

I was sooo excited to see all those U2 wins last night! I was jumping and hooting like a little girl, it was so much fun!
I gotta admit I wasn't very surprised about rock album or even song, but album of the year was such a jolt!
I thought they totally deserved to get it, but I was still surprised when it happened...

And I gotta say I take back my earlier comments on a now-closed Grammy thread, mostly directed at and attempting to address respectfully, ozeeko's negative comments about "Sometimes"...it *is* a brilliant piece of songwriting, right up there with others of U2's best...(skulks off to find a thread where she can work out her feelings about it...)

cheers all!

I was hoping the whole time, but right before Album of the Year when they announced Steve Lillywhite as Producer of the Year, it was all over.

Great job.

MaxFisher said:
Did anyone think it was funny when Bono said elephant "dirt"? It was like he was planning on saying "shit", caught himself, and then said the first word that was remotely related.

Anyway...I had a laugh.

I had a laugh too, but I thought it was totally 'planned' that he'd say 'dirt' and never was really in any danger of getting himself into another chapter of the "bono-rule" discussion by saying 'shit' and having the FCC or censors decide whether he meant that as a 'noun' or an 'adverb'....
Happily I should have the thing taped so I can watch again...I felt a bit cheated not getting to hear Bono 'cuss', but I loved how the ridiculousness of his having to actually say 'elephant dirt' instead of 'shit' highlighted the censorship crap, as it were, whether it was on purpose or not.

And I just wanted to add the thought that the boys looked fucking fantastic didn't they?!
Bono looked especially rested and lovely...though they seemed a bit somber somehow too, certainly not like they'd been doing much pre-show partying anyway...

cheers!

I just found out that U2 won their last two grammys for a total of five on the night.

Usually one act dominates Grammy Night, Alicia Keyes, or a Santana so what's the big deal, I don't think this will create a backlash towards the band. Besides, after April, they will disappear for a few years anyway so they won't be in the minds of the public.

I don't like the comments suggesting Bono was drunk at his first speech, they just performed shortly before they received this award. The boys are professionals and would not get blitzed before a performance. Even if Bono had a drink before the acceptance, after years of partying, I'm sure the man can hold his liquor.

Anyone who feels they didn't deserve these awards, go back, clear your mind and LISTEN to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, forget the "it sounds just like ATYCLB crap". listen to the lyrics, the meanings, the emotions and the instruments, listen to it again like you have never heard it before. I think you will see that is a great cd, and ten years from now, it will be revered.

Good on ya boys, ya deserve it. Even though awards are rather silly, it's nice to see you get credit for years of work.

Irvine511 said:
:ohmy:

modesty from Kanye:

[q]Another major shocker: In an interview backstage, West came on all humble about having lost album of the year. "It's all good. Because U2, those are my boys right there," said West, dapper as always in a lavender Yves Saint-Laurent suit and white leather gloves. "U2 deserves it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020802027.html
[/q]

wow! that's very nice to hear...I think the whole deal about Kanye being nasty is sooo overblown (admittedly not knowing all that much about it). I mean, he's a recording artist, which itself requires some "attitude" (recall Bono's speech thanking his father for giving him some of that), and further he's in a genre that sometimes seems to *live* on bravado and bragging...it's almost a requirement in his field to avoid modesty like the plague.
He came off really well last night, and it's so great to hear him say how U2's his boys and it's all good...how lovely!

I loved how he even thanked U2 in his speech for best rap album for taking him on the road with them!
And it was also sweet how Bono told him he'll get his someday, pointing to how they have also lost this deal (and with "Achtung Baby" for one no bloody less!!!)...they seem quite tight.

I also loved Kanye's lavender outfit, my god he made that look good! He's just too hot....

Last edited:
I don't think HTDAAB was worthy of album of the year but its the Grammys and the other nominees weren't exactly awesome either so I can see and accept how U2 pulled it off. Its great that they were awarded for their hard work over the year and as a fan its cool to see them acknowledged.

I think Bono sounded a bit off in parts of Vertigo or lacked the energy while the sound for Vertigo seemed too clean to me (probably blame it on CBS). One was pretty good, but I remember the first time Mary J and Bono sang the song (with the full band), the previous performance seemed to sound better. Mary J was still good but Bono seemed like he was sort of along for the ride, meaning he didn't contribute as much as he could have on the song. Maybe he was afraid of getting blown out of the water or overshadowed in terms of the vocal performance. Who knows what goes on in Bano's head.

What I do know is that for a live show, vocal acrobatics + showing emotion does generally = good performance.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:

I don't like the comments suggesting Bono was drunk at his first speech, they just performed shortly before they received this award. The boys are professionals and would not get blitzed before a performance. Even if Bono had a drink before the acceptance, after years of partying, I'm sure the man can hold his liquor.

when they were winning those awards for ATYCLB, he had liquor with him on stage! He had vodka in a water bottle, and admited to being a little tipsy. Nothing wrong with it.

hay guyZ! wut iZ goin on in dis yeerZ gram33s?!?

Hooray for Our Teh U2!!!
-toasts chocolate milks-

I'm super excited to be a U2 fan right now, and that's SO nice! Their first AOTY since The Joshua Tree and i liXes it alot! It's a big boost to this current album. And I hope some of the people who loathe the direction they're currently taking can maybe re-think their opinion after how well recieved Bomb was. It truly shows how incredibly appealing this whole album was for the fans and criics, and I'm super proud of them! Keep up the good work boys! :up:

On an entirely non-U2 note, I hope that Kanye gets a nod for an AOTY in the future. In all honestly, I felt it was Kanye's night. He performed amazingly, pumped the crowd the most. People were off their feet before the song even got a minute in. Kanye showed why he's at the top right now, and he definitely deserved AOTY as much as the boys, in my humble opinion. I think Bono even thought so, hence his mention of him in the speech. Bono is right Kanye, you're next

p.s. 1)I think Bono meant that the Beatles came to "discover" america with their band, to experience it. And bono knows how it feels to experience America, i'm guessing thats what he meant.
p.s. 2)Drunk Irishman=Expected/10'd

RademR said:

when they were winning those awards for ATYCLB, he had liquor with him on stage! He had vodka in a water bottle, and admited to being a little tipsy. Nothing wrong with it.

But they didn't just finish performing onstage, people are suggesting he was drunk, therefore he performed drunk, which I do not think was the case. I got no problem with the boys having drinks at an awards show, but to suggest that they perform under the influence is an insult to this band.

trevster2k said:
I just found out that U2 won their last two grammys for a total of five on the night.

Usually one act dominates Grammy Night, Alicia Keyes, or a Santana so what's the big deal, I don't think this will create a backlash towards the band. Besides, after April, they will disappear for a few years anyway so they won't be in the minds of the public.

Anyone who feels they didn't deserve these awards, go back, clear your mind and LISTEN to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, forget the "it sounds just like ATYCLB crap". listen to the lyrics, the meanings, the emotions and the instruments, listen to it again like you have never heard it before. I think you will see that is a great cd, and ten years from now, it will be revered.

Good on ya boys, ya deserve it. Even though awards are rather silly, it's nice to see you get credit for years of work.

You know what? Clear your mind and listen to the White Album. Listen to Kid A. Listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged. Parachutes. Elephant. The Love Below (but not Speakerboxxx). Hell, LISTEN to ZOOROPA and POP.

And if you give advice without taking it, you would look ignorant indeed. I've listened to HTDAAB. As a fan since the Joshua Tree, I've given every U2 album a thorough listen. Have you?

Irvine511 said:
was anyone else confused when Bono insisted that Paul McCartney discovered America?

Paul sure seemed confused! The look on his face was too funny...he's got a great sense of play, and who else loved the Helter Skelter deal?!!

Bono credited him with 'inventing the country we're all living in' I think it went, by which I'm assuming he meant that spiritual/professional landscape of rocknroll and it's kindred genres, or something like that.
I love Bono's use of words, don't you?!

I love it how he likened Gwen Stefani to Carol Lombard too, that was classic!

cheers!

edit: and some vodka in a water bottle sounds really nice to me...that's allowable at something like the grammy's, don't you think? I just sat on a jury trial (civil) last week, and that would have really been nice on ocassion in my smartwater bottle...
the boys seemed very sober to me last night though...

Last edited:
I think we mountain timers got an edited version of the last acceptance speech. :grumpy:

ShellBeThere said:

Bono credited him with 'inventing the country we're all living in' I think it went, by which I'm assuming he meant that spiritual/professional landscape of rocknroll and it's kindred genres, or something like that.
I love Bono's use of words, don't you?!

i'm sure that's what he meant.

i was trying to be funny.

and i think Macca looked confused because the mics were going a bit crazy while Bono was talking.

i also think that HTDAAB is good, but it's also a recognition for the overlooking of ATYCLB, and especially Achtung.

it was aking to Pacino getting the Oscar for "Scent of a Woman" -- he's been better in the past, but it was a deserving performance, and overdue and a nod to longevity, hard work, and sheer tenacity.

Rafiennes said:
The performance of 'One ' was a train wreck. Mary J Blige went crazy with her vocals all over the place - singing parts off key, doing that R&B voice trill thing that was not necessary for this song.

Bono even looked a little annoyed at one point.

Well, they rehearsed it together many times 2 days ago. I doubt she did anything in the live performance that was not in the rehearsals.

Irvine511 said:
was anyone else confused when Bono insisted that Paul McCartney discovered America?

In the free CNN video, Bono tries to explain that comment a bit, and he explains he was talking about pop music, that the beatles were the "big bang" of pop music and the whole genre.

Also, Larry speaks, and claims he's very hurt by being cut-off, and then Bono says he was going to read a poem, then Larry cuts back in and says he wrote it when he was 12, but he thought it was appropriate for the occasion.

I love them :wink:

Back
Top Bottom