MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I taped the show on my VCR, and when Sometimes won for best song I thought "OK, some categories in the song department but no album awards". (as Edge said they won two awards during the night already)
When they won Rock album award I thought "that's it, this just kept them from winning Album of the year."

I was sure Kanye West would win for Album of the year, but on the other hand, U2 lost for AB and ATYCLB in previous years and by general consensus among fans, Bomb is better than ATYCLB.

Fantastic News, I'm so happy for them.

Perhaps this will inspire them to start writing new songs right away.

(And perhaps all those people who continually knock HTDAAB ought to have another listen.)

LyricalDrug said:

I think Bono's statement tonight that "maybe it's time for me to stop talking about my father" was a hint that the band may abandon the tone of their last two albums, which were heavily influenced by Bono's dad being sick, and passing away. I think we'll see a big change of direction on the next album.

HTDAAB 'is' a great improvement on ATYCLB, but they can do a lot better so here's to a hopeful future.

LyricalDrug said:

...And is it just me, or has Adam Clayton developed a really strong lisp over the last year or two? What is up with that? Nothing wrong with it necessarily, but he never used to talk that way, did he? *shrug*

Erm...I'm saying nothing, but if you smoke too much pot then it can affect your speech - but like I said, I'm saying nothing because it's most probably down to a dental problem or dental surgery.

BTW, did they cut Larry's speech for Album of the year award? And did he and Adam say anything when they won awards for Sometimes?

U2 are great, U2 would be great without any of these prizes, I'm not a grandious fan of grammies, of competitions like that in general, winning or not winning a prize never means you're the best or the worst, but it's a nice recognition they had by winning in each category. But don't consider it at all as the NonPlusUltra, the best thing for a band is to have a complete sold out tour, the best crowds in the world, the best songs in the world, the best feelings in the concerts...............these are the best recognitions a band can have........................uh, and yes, these kind of knick-knacks may be useful, too..................in a way or the other.......................

;)

Cnn.com has a nice little 5 minute video of the boys eatting pizza and discussing last night. Larry even gets some talk time...

We're U2 fans--I think we'd already formed our opinions about the Bomb--before the Grammy's.

And as for *why* we won 5 awards, I think it has more to do with the band's enormous stature in the music and world community than with the so- called *weak competition.* (Who else with Bono's career has ever been named *Time* person of the year *and* invited by the President to keynote the National Prayer Breakfast?

Speaking of that elegant and eloquent sermon, perhaps that serious side of our Irish preacher prompted the silly side to come out at the Grammys?

One more thing: I've always thought that people who take pains to point out how "immature" other people are in their community are themselves somewhat immature (and insecure).

I come to Interference because I respect and enjoy the opinions of the others who post here. I've yet to find another fan community anything like it.

Will the Bomb mean that the next album will be "less safe"? I sure think we can hope so.

Anu

:no: the grammy awards are just ridiculous...IMO U2 won't deserve any award this year.
SYCMIOYO - wtf why choose this cheesy song as winner? i can't stand it.
ALBUM OF THE YEAR and ROCK(!) ALBUM OF THE YEAR :lol: for such a lukewarm album i just can't get it. what a waste. there is much more better and more interesting music around on the blue planet.

Hi,

I do not post very often but have to react on these feedbacks. Lot of people say that we (as U2 fans) should be happy and all. I'm a huge fan of U2....a sick fan. But I understand why we are not ''that'' happy. I think U2 deserved every single trophy....but they had no competition. This album is probably their best after JT, AB and UF. We all know that only JT got the award.

Before ATYCLB, U2 was popular but they were not unbreakable. They lost....they did not sell as well as they should...etc....

Now its the opposite. The odds are with them...and they will win even if they don't ''really'' deserve it. We all know its not possible to win 7 (ATYCLB) or 8 (HTDAAB) grammys unless its brilliant. As a U2 fan I know that 1-2 grammys would have been enough...Its good but not brilliant lke JT, UF or AB...

Tonight I wasn't proud as it should. I noticed a lot of faithfull fans felt the same way. If you compare U2 to the competition, then yes they deserved it......but HTDAAB was not a ''chef d'oeuvre'' and I hoped that this would have happened when u2 was really exploring new stuff (AB).

U2 deserved the awards but I feel they should have got those way before ATYCLB. Its like everybody discovered U2 suddenly. I now understand the pre-JT fans....U2 is too popular...its not as special as it was. The good news is that they will make more music!

Tony

"One" more thing. I just listened to the MP3 of "One" from last night.

So, those of you saying it sucked, that Mary shouldn't duet with Bono, that Bono was weak, and what have you -- no offense intended, but all y'all might want to have your pulses checked because this sounded great; it got me in the guts.

Bono has always wanted to do things in the gospel funky style, and this version is a goosepimply god-invoking inspiration.

Anu

Ok, my thoughts about th Grammys:

1) I'm sorry, but I don't like the 'One' duet. That song was not meant to be sang by a R'n'B single, neither a duet... So, IMO, the thing goes totally wrong, and at a certain point it gets hard to hear someone making some diva-screams under a song that you love.

2) This was a great lesson for Mariah Carey. That bitch deserved not taking all those awards. I know that she got possessed when the production of the awards refused her to open the cerimony because they had already... Madonna with Gorillaz, and that's a real bonus for them. So Mariah got irritated to be knocked off by someone that she really hates.

3) U2 deserved all the awards won, although in some categories, I wouldn't be sad if them oppositors won, because they deserved too.

4) I knew that somehow, and for some folks here... this obviously would turn in a HTDAAB-bashing-thing, because they really have to say how much they don't like the album.

Congratulations U2, you deserved it! We're with you!

I love this! :D

Grammy Awards

LOS ANGELES - The rock gods snatched Grammy history from the comeback queen Wednesday, as perennial favorites U2 took home five trophies while Mariah Carey had to settle for three. U2 won the 20th Grammy of their careers, including album of the year for "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" — the same disc that earned them three awards last year.

:rockon:

I love how they keep saying they 'snatched' awards from Mariah Carey, as if they were hers to start with. Never! They belong to U2! ;)

"The Grammys make me hate music, and certainly everyone in the ass-licking music industry." (Trent Reznor) :up:

Don't have time for a big discussion, but a few thoughts:

1. Bono was drunk as hell---especially during his first speech!

2. Didn't terrrrribly mind MJB on One during the Katrina concert, but I really have to say I think she killed it on this one. The first time they did it, it was different and sounded okay because of that. Now, after getting a second dose, you're able to see through the "different-ness" and notice that this version is just a bunch of vocal acrobatics tied in with the display of emotion. A non-U2 friend was over & actually pointed out that it didn't seem that she actually hit higher notes--but merely belted louder instead. :shrug: Vocal acrobatics & an emotional performance don't make it a good performance. :hmm: That non-U2 friend was even the one who brought up the idea that she killed the song.

3. Was hoping for COBL to be played, but Vertigo ruled---it turned the Grammys into a U2 concert for those few minutes. Everyone else just performed; U2 made the show theirs.

Last edited:
One on grammys was incredible! Why the hate?

I thought the performance of 'One' on the grammys was absolutely stunning!!!

I don't understand the hate. It's like you want U2 to be different and experimental and then you kill them for it!! The lyric 'you give it all and i want more' comes to mind i'm afraid.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion but i'm curious. Out of those who liked it, how many are old time fans(80's) and how many are newer fans. Not to be elitist but just curious.

I've been a fan since 83 and that performance honestly gave me shivers and to me was mindblowing emotional and made me seriously think about hopping on a plane to Mexico even though I've seen them many times on this tour already!!

What does everyone else think?

I've been a fan since the 80s, but I didn't like it. I said elsewhere that I didn't mind MJB terribly on the Katrina performance---I thought it was different and, while not wonderful, wasn't bad. Last night, however, I thought was more showboating than good.

Vocal acrobatics + showing emotion doesn't necessarily = good performance.

babyman said:
U2 are great, U2 would be great without any of these prizes, I'm not a grandious fan of grammies, of competitions like that in general, winning or not winning a prize never means you're the best or the worst, but it's a nice recognition they had by winning in each category. But don't consider it at all as the NonPlusUltra, the best thing for a band is to have a complete sold out tour, the best crowds in the world, the best songs in the world, the best feelings in the concerts...............these are the best recognitions a band can have........................uh, and yes, these kind of knick-knacks may be useful, too..................in a way or the other.......................

;)

I love you man. :wink:

Re: One on grammys was incredible! Why the hate?

mellow moog said:
Out of those who liked it, how many are old time fans(80's) and how many are newer fans. Not to be elitist but just curious.
you know, fans from the 90's are also "old time fans' right now...

I really like this version of 'One'... I'm a fan since '95

:)

YAY Boys!!!! YAY BOMB!!! You did us proud!!:bow: :applaud: :dancing: :dance:

^^Utoo, I agree with your assessment! Anybody know who was the blond lady was sitting between Bono & Edge??

i am a fan from the 80's

i thought she might do some "vocal acrobatics" as well.....but she didnt ....she was very soulful...she obviously loves the song
I loved it alot...
as i laid in my bed and was cozy ,my daughter right beside me doin her homework
i wept quiet tears
i loved it more than i can say

she was great

The performance of 'One ' was a train wreck. Mary J Blige went crazy with her vocals all over the place - singing parts off key, doing that R&B voice trill thing that was not necessary for this song.

Bono even looked a little annoyed at one point.

She's a decent singer but a bit too Broadway, a bit too over dramatic for my tastes (remember her performance of 'No More Fear' at the Grammys a few years ago? the one where she sang 'no more' for about seven minutes? Yeah...that was fun...)

And hey...people...

SHE SANG OVER EDGE'S SOLO!!!!
Nobody sings over my Edge's solo parts...nobody...:mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom