MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theu2fly said:

4. Bomb is a great album, really strong songs. Almost better material than ATYCLB.

Heheh ...that's not sayin' much!

In my opinion that is. Like I said earlier. I love my boys, but these past two albums have been kinda weak. Not bad, mind you. And certainly better than most trite shit out there. But as far as their own standards go, I consider them weak.

I think it's sad that all of these U2 FANS are so hard on U2....it makes me sort of understand why non u2 fans are so hard on u2

That being said, I'm proud of the boys, they really proved something tonight, and maybe they'll finally get the reckognition they really deserve.

I know I'll gloat tomorrow ;)

bono_212 said:
I think it's sad that all of these U2 FANS are so hard on U2....it makes me sort of understand why non u2 fans are so hard on u2

That being said, I'm proud of the boys, they really proved something tonight, and maybe they'll finally get the reckognition they really deserve.

for a second there I thought you said "these U2 FANS have a hard on for U2"

:lol:

I couldn't be happier for U2.....it was an extraordinary evening for the band, their families and for fans alike. These guys deserved awards for each nomination and I am so happy they won each one of them. This would really be an outstanding opportunity to go out on top and in style but this ban'ds not going anywhere....if anything this will fire them up to get back to recording and touring even more!

I just wish they hadn't cut Larry off at the end.

And what was that comment B-man made about elephant poop? Funny.....maybe referring to a circus atmosphere, the circus having been to Staples Center? Hmmmm.....

By the way, since I was staring at it all night, does anyone know if there's anyway to get a Music Rising shirt similar to Edge's? I know we had patterns for Bono's Africa shirt, but I was wondering if there was something similar for Edge's... I haven't been able to find a decent head-on picture of him in it yet, otherwise I might try to make an outline of it in Illustrator or something.

Thanks guys!

As for the Grammy's, as psyched as I am that they won, I'm already seeing the backlash and it makes me really upset - yeah, I'm an AB/Z/P kiddo, so this is a weak album for me, but still... blah. :(

gherman said:
Seriously.... This is a great day for U2. HTDAAB deserves it IS a great album and is about time that the U2 fans acknowlege it.
I congratulate U2 for winning, but HTDAAB is still a mediocre album. I felt that they won because the competition wasn't that great either. Kanye West is one Outkast-like album away from winning the top honor. Late Registration is a well produced album, but it needed a just little extra flavor.

Tonight's performance of One was a bit contrived as well.

At least U2 will see a rise in the charts, eh? Seems like all the lot of you ever care about is that. No one cares if U2 is not living up to their own standards anymore.

Does anybody know where I can find some HQ pictures of u2 performence? Especially of The Edge :)
Thanks for help.

Last edited:
not exactly a head on shot of Edge...
r178256912.jpg

:up: The boys did us proud :yes:

also check the PLEBA thread for rehearsal pics and such. There were MANY Edge pics earlier today :yes:

GibsonExplorer said:

I congratulate U2 for winning, but HTDAAB is still a mediocre album. I felt that they won because the competition wasn't that great either. Kanye West is one Outkast-like album away from winning the top honor. Late Registration is a well produced album, but it needed a just little extra flavor.

At least U2 will see a rise in the charts, eh? Seems like all the lot of you ever care about is that. No one cares if U2 is not living up to their own standards anymore.

U2 is obviously living up to their own standards with an album that racked up 8 grammy awards. And I think that most albums that do win 8 gammys are typically considered to be a little but more than mediorcre.

And another thing I have to comment on is how immature have U2 fans gotten over the years. I've stopped visiting this forum for a long time because these fans are always saying U2 is better than such and such. True music fans, like the members of U2 are, learn to appreciate all sorts of music. All this talk about gloating to friends and shit---what is that? What are you, twelve? Love the music, ditch the childishness.

bono_212 said:

Huh..odd. I think it's U2 fans that should be the hardest on U2. It doesn't make us any less of a fan.

Hahha...yeah. 'cuz U2 certainly hasn't gotten the recognition they deserve. [/sarcasm]

cjboog said:

U2 is obviously living up to their own standards with an album that racked up 8 grammy awards. And I think that most albums that do win 8 gammys are typically considered to be a little but more than mediorcre.

Grammys != measurement of quality.

GibsonExplorer said:
And another thing I have to comment on is how immature have U2 fans gotten over the years. I've stopped visiting this forum for a long time because these fans are always saying U2 is better than such and such. True music fans, like the members of U2 are, learn to appreciate all sorts of music. All this talk about gloating to friends and shit---what is that? What are you, twelve? Love the music, ditch the childishness.

I'm going to have to agree with you here. And this sort of "OMG U2 CAN DO NO WRONG!" that permeates these boards is another reason my visits only come in spurts. It's just as childish as gloating.

Why can't we all just be happy for U2?? Instead everyone who doesn't like bomb has to throw in their side comments about how bad it is. Did pop win 8 grammys? No. Did Zooropa win 8 grammys? No. Just be happy for the band, they are still putting out great music and being recognized for it. At least we can be happy that they beat out Mariah! WOOHOO :wink:

cjboog said:

You can't honestly say that U2 faces a level of competition that could have prevented them from garnering 8 grammys for this album. Especially when U2 also have the elder-statesmen votes working for them as well.

GibsonExplorer said:

You can't honestly say that U2 faces a level of competition that could have prevented them from garnering 8 grammys for this album. Especially when U2 also have the elder-statesmen votes working for them as well.

Look, this whole event was hiped to be "mariah's big night" and a lot of the headlines read "U2 steals show from Mariah" or something like that. I think there a lot of excellent competition this year, especially in the Rock Album and Rock Song category, and they still won. I am very happy for them, they were not supposed to win 5 awards.

cjboog said:
Why can't we all just be happy for U2?? Instead everyone who doesn't like bomb has to throw in their side comments about how bad it is. Did pop win 8 grammys? No. Did Zooropa win 8 grammys? No. Just be happy for the band, they are still putting out great music and being recognized for it. At least we can be happy that they beat out Mariah! WOOHOO :wink:

Gibson and I both said we're happy for the band. But two things:

1.) Being happy they won grammy's is in no way related to our opinions of Bomb being mediocre.

2.) GRAMMY'S ARE NOT A MEASURE OF QUALITY! I wish people would quit saying "well it DID win X amount of Grammy's" or "did so and so win this many grammys?"

Grammy's, while they're cool to win, have no bearing on quality.
For instance...Just because Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for best heavy metal album, that certainly doesn't make the Tull better than Metallica (at least in any sane person's mind :) ).

But I do agree with beating out Mariah :)

GibsonExplorer said:

The only U2 albums better than the BOMB are Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! If anything U2 is surpassing most of their standards. Based on polls, here, the majority of people here consider HTDAAB to be U2's 4th best album.

There is no universal measure of quality, but to me if How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is chosen the THE album of the year, that says a lot about its quality. But, I respect your opinon and am glad you are happy for the boys.

Using Mariah as a measuring stick for U2's success is a new low, by any standards.

Zooropa and Pop are superior to HTDAAB, and they prove that the Grammys rarely rewards innovation and experimentation.

GibsonExplorer said:
Using Mariah as a measuring stick for U2's success is a new low, by any standards.

Zooropa and Pop are superior to HTDAAB.

In your OPINION.

You have a right to an opinion, but to say that Zooropa and POP are superior to HTDAAB is mad! See, I have an OPINION too.

*begins trying to explain the elephant dung comment she didn't hear*

I remember hearing/seeing an interview early last year where the band somehow began discussing what job they would have if they were in the circus.
Larry said he'd be a sword swallower I think, and I can't remember what Adam wanted to be, but he said something...
Then Bono asked Edge, and he thought about it for quite a while, if I remember correctly, and eventually said quietly, "A lion tamer."
Then someone (Larry?) asked Bono, and he said "I'd probably end up being the guy behind the elephant."

I guess that doens't clear anything up at all, really. :shrug:

Last edited:
GibsonExplorer said:

Well, there is a lot of childishness on the part of many people who do not like HTDAAB and make inaccurate personal accusations about anyone that declares its a great album.

I'm not talking about you, but you did bring up an interesting point. Its strange, but there are lot of people that extend their bashing of the album to those who simply declare that its a great album at the forum.

STING2 said:

The only U2 albums better than the BOMB are Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! If anything U2 is surpassing most of their standards. Based on polls, here, the majority of people here consider HTDAAB to be U2's 4th best album.

Well most people on these boards fellate U2 at any given oppurtunity so I would hardly call it a controlled experiment :).

cjboog said:
There is no universal measure of quality, but to me if How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is chosen the THE album of the year, that says a lot about its quality. But, I respect your opinon and am glad you are happy for the boys.

We're cool then..rock'n'roll!

GibsonExplorer said:

Zooropa and Pop are superior to HTDAAB, and they prove that the Grammys rarely rewards innovation and experimentation.

I agree completely.

Well the Grammys DID award innovation and experimentation when they gave Zooropa "Best Alternative Album". It was funny at the time because of the band's popularity, but it WAS alternative, and more out there than the other nominees, including those in years to follow, up to today, where The White Stripes won for what is in essence an old-fashioned rock & blues record (albiet a great one).

Also, many here fear that these awards will validate U2's "safe" sound as of late, causing them to just stick to the formula in the future, and I beg to differ. Their new-millenium resurgence is now complete. They have recaptured all the fans, the record sales, the ticket sales, and now the biggest awards the industry has to offer. With these last two albums they have won Rock Album twice, song of the year twice, record of the year twice, and Album of the year once. There is nowhere else for them to go. What, exactly, would be the point of the recording ANOTHER album in the same vein? The band knows this very well, and I expect a significant left turn on the next album. While they won't be venturing into jazz or techno or any other specific style, it will probably be a lot darker and more aggressive. Because now that's really what they still need to prove they can do.

I'm optimistic.

Achtung Ya'll said:

Well most people on these boards fellate U2 at any given oppurtunity so I would hardly call it a controlled experiment :).

We're cool then..rock'n'roll!

I agree completely.

Oh, but there are more bashers of HTDAAB than you might think. Honestly, in some threads, you would not believe that this is a U2 fan website.

lazarus said:
Well the Grammys DID award innovation and experimentation when they gave Zooropa "Best Alternative Album". It was funny at the time because of the band's popularity, but it WAS alternative, and more out there than the other nominees, including those in years to follow, up to today, where The White Stripes won for what is in essence an old-fashioned rock & blues record (albiet a great one).

Also, many here fear that these awards will validate U2's "safe" sound as of late, causing them to just stick to the formula in the future, and I beg to differ. Their new-millenium resurgence is now complete. They have recaptured all the fans, the record sales, the ticket sales, and now the biggest awards the industry has to offer. With these last two albums they have won Rock Album twice, song of the year twice, record of the year twice, and Album of the year once. There is nowhere else for them to go. What, exactly, would be the point of the recording ANOTHER album in the same vein? The band knows this very well, and I expect a significant left turn on the next album. While they won't be venturing into jazz or techno or any other specific style, it will probably be a lot darker and more aggressive. Because now that's really what they still need to prove they can do.

I'm optimistic.

Remember, its got a be an album that can have the incredible song "Mercy" on it!:wink:

lazarus said:

I'm optimistic.

I'm very hopeful that you are right about the future. U2 does not need another HTDAAB.

GibsonExplorer said:

I'm very hopeful that you are right about the future. U2 does not need another HTDAAB.

I think Bono's statement tonight that "maybe it's time for me to stop talking about my father" was a hint that the band may abandon the tone of their last two albums, which were heavily influenced by Bono's dad being sick, and passing away. I think we'll see a big change of direction on the next album.

...And is it just me, or has Adam Clayton developed a really strong lisp over the last year or two? What is up with that? Nothing wrong with it necessarily, but he never used to talk that way, did he? *shrug*

Congrats to the band! These awards will send "Bomb" climbing back up the charts, too.

Back
Top Bottom