MERGED--->Gone new mix now available + Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zargo

The Fly
Gone new mix now available

The gone new mix is now available from a link at U2log.com

It's the quicktime file from U2.com, that's not ever posted on the u2.com yet! (i think).

Could anyone quickly encode the quicktime file to mp3 incase the link goes down?

BTW, I'm SOO GLAD U2 left in Edge's Air siren guitar wail in the new mix of Gone.

This version sounds just like the live version (as expected) minus the extended guitar build up at the end and the falsetto Bono sometimes adds during the bridge of the song.

I need more listens to form a solid opinion, but i think i'll end up liking this mix the best out of all the new mixes.

Excellent. Sounds like the live arrangement. Not better than the original, but different. Muy bueno! Who was complaining about U2 not making ROCK songs anymore?

This is exactly what I expected with the remix... and that is a good thing! Not that the original was poor, but the remix allows the other instruments to shine a little more. The siren doesn't over power it when you crank it up.

far and away the best of the new mixes that have been heard so far. this sounds amzing! I loved the song from the first time i heard it, but this takes it to a new level. Just incredible.

Peace.

Very good!:drool: Definitely a new vocal take from ol' Bono too. The guitars sound a lot better to me. Does anyone else wonder if they remixed the whole POP album and will releases these remixes eventually?

I'd have to say that so far I still like the original better. Actually, the only remix so far that I liked better than the original was the SATS remix. I am very attached to POP and the mixing job done. I thought it was very good the first time around. All of these new mixes are very stripped down compared to their original counterparts. I find that SATS needed that, but Gone and Discotheque did not. One thing I like about this new Gone mix is the breakdown near the end. I think that part is improved fromt he original. Overall I'm glad we're getting these new mixes, but the originals are still tops for me.

I've only listened once, but I have to say this never version is damn SEXY! It RAAAWWKS, in the true sense. I think it's been given a new life, and the rythem really stand out, now (I think it's the rythem guitar). Yeah, this has to be the best flat out rock song by U2 since HMTKKMKM.

Interesting...no keyboards, but Edge back-up on the second chorus. Definitely a different vocal take. It's nothing on the original version, but I like it for variety.

typhoon said:
Interesting...no keyboards, but Edge back-up on the second chorus. Definitely a different vocal take. It's nothing on the original version, but I like it for variety.

How can you say its"nothing on the original"????? Its at LEAST on a par with the POP version, and most probably better!:yes:

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Does anyone have an MP3 version or an alternate link because the link on U2 log ain't working for me?
Well, did you click on the second bold printed link? There are two, and it's the second one, which says, here's Gone.

You might actually find it at U2.com, as well, because when you download it, it says, "U2.com..." and then the song starts.

For those of you who don't have quicktime but do have media player (like me), there's actually a link to the window's media file of the song at the website that u2log got the quicktime file from...if that made any sense:

http://www.u2.com//mediaplayer/best9000_18_g0n3.wma

I haven't listened to it since I'm at work, so I don't even know if the link words, but I figured this would help out at least some people.

Fuck yeah!

This almost makes up for the butchering of discotheque.

I am relieved...

I heard the Discoth?que remix and it seemed ok...and then I noticed somethign vitally missing. Our beloved Boom-Chas were gone(R.I.P. :sad: ). I tried to keep my hopes up for the Best Of up to that moment, but after (not) hearing the Boom-Cha scandal, I was convinced then that the Best Of had been taken down a great notch. Thankfully my heart has been lifted by this ass-kickin' remix of Gone. I adore the original (which is probably tied for first with Please as my best POP song, which happens to be my second favorite album as well). This is even better than the original. This is glorious. This is sacred. This is Even Better Than The Real Thing. ( :wink: )

I love U2.

:lol:

Best news ever! This put a big smile in my face...damn, I?m at work and I can only listen to the song at really low volume, but it sounds great, really.

A big big thank you, nice fellow that put the link to the windows media file! :up:

Can?t wait to get home and really LISTEN to this new Gone!

This is the first new mix that doesn't sound completely bare bones. It's a good balance of the bells & whistles of the original and the instrumentation of the song that the band wants to emphasize.

At first I though the new vocal track lost some of the sense of urgency and desperate that was so well delivered in the original mix. But after several listens of the new mix i realized that it was still there, just emphasize during different parts of the song.

Just imagine what the new mix will sound like when we get a better quality version.

Overall i would say its equal to the original mix, which IMHO is a great accomplishment.

I dunno

I like the original.

I liked the 'noise' of the original.

This seems a bit too remixed, orchestrated, I dunno

Too much piano, Bono's voice sounds too controlled.

That is 0/2 for me as I do not like the Discotheque re either...

I am not even a huge fan of pop, and I hated Discotehque for a long time, but still think the originals were better, even if rawer and not 'complete'

I think the original "Gone" was good, but it seemed a bit clunky, whereas this version seems to emphasise the right instruments more and flows better.:yes:

Cool! I like it as much as the original. Both have different qualities, the original has a gritty-ness I like. I only have one problem, in the beginning, MORE BASS! Dude, Adam's big bass slides! They need to be bigger!

edit: When's the new Staring at the Sun gonna be out? anyone know?

Last edited:
For those that don't know, there was a thread 2-3 weeks back that was about the new SATS mix and featured an MP3 of it. You can look there if you really want to listen to it (although it's rather disappointing in my opinion.)

Haven't heard the new "Gone" yet, but according to most it sounds like the live version, so I'll already be giving it the thumbs up.

so what?

there's more guitar on it.....that makes it better?

there was nothing "wrong" with the originals in the first place; this remixing buisness really annoys me, but I'll just shut up now because after all I'm a fan and I should adore everything they do.

:censored:

I liked the original, but I think this one's better. The problem a lot of people had with Pop was that "it didn't sound like U2," whatever that means. I used to tell him that when they play it live, it flows perfectly with all the old songs and seems like it fits right in. With the new mix, there's still no mixtaking this song as a "Pop era" song, just that now it sounds "more like U2," whatever that means.

JOFO said:
so what?

there's more guitar on it.....that makes it better?

there was nothing "wrong" with the originals in the first place; this remixing buisness really annoys me, but I'll just shut up now because after all I'm a fan and I should adore everything they do.

:censored:
I'm still curious as to why this should annoy you (and others) so much. You don't have to listen to the remix. The way I see it, it just gives fans an option from which to choose. Now you have a choice. You like the original better, so you can listen to that. If someone else likes the remix better, they can listen to that. Or, if you're like me, you get to listen to both versions because you can appreciate each one (so I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess). The point is, of course you don't have to "adore everything they do," but you really don't have to listen to everything they do, either. That's entrely your choice. Or am I wrong?

Finally a decent mix. :up: I'd say its almost as good as the album version. But I really really miss the rising siren sound immediately after Bono sings "I'll be up with the sun" if you know what I mean! Anyway, its pretty cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom