MERGED--->Gone new mix now available + Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:

I'm still curious as to why this should annoy you (and others) so much. You don't have to listen to the remix. The way I see it, it just gives fans an option from which to choose. Now you have a choice. You like the original better, so you can listen to that. If someone else likes the remix better, they can listen to that. Or, if you're like me, you get to listen to both versions because you can appreciate each one (so I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess). The point is, of course you don't have to "adore everything they do," but you really don't have to listen to everything they do, either. That's entrely your choice. Or am I wrong?

certainly not wrong; as a matter of fact, I agree with everything you say in your post.

the reason that the remixes annoy me, is that it seems, to me anyway, that u2 are trying to "fix" pop, or make it more ATYCLB-fan friendly (less samples/loops; more guitars, etc) and it's like: there was nothing wrong with pop in the first place.....besides, that was 5 and 1/2 years ago....can you imagine right after zooropa came out u2 remixing rattle and hum adding loops and samples? of course not. pop captured a period in time and to change that soundscape now seems contrived and as if they're seeking forgiveness for an artistic statement because there was such a negative reaction to it.
look, there are people who are u2 fans who love pop/don't like atyclb...there are those who love atyclb and hate pop....there are those who love it all...I consider myself to be in the last category...
I hate to see u2:
1. go over material they've covered already
2. remix tunes to satisfy those who "don't like all the electronic shit"
3. bow down to criticisms of the whole pop experience.

I would have loved it if they put out the best of cd with the original versions of the pop tunes with a discalimer that said "if you don't like these tunes, kiss our ass".

that's what I call "fucking with the mainstream".:silent:

JOFO said:

I hate to see u2:

Yes!Yes!Yes!:yes:

Seems as though U2's apologising for their Pop trip, trying to pacify hardcore ATYCLB fans. For god's sake, grow your balls back U2! :p

unnamed_streets said:

Yes!Yes!Yes!:yes:

Seems as though U2's apologising for their Pop trip, trying to pacify hardcore ATYCLB fans. For god's sake, grow your balls back U2! :p

dig.:mac:

I know I border on being a raging lunatic
but I would swear that until this "best of" I've never seen people refer to remixing a song as 'apologising' for the original

the chance that I will at least listen to this best of a few times (can't say I did that with the 80's best of) is because there will at least be a few songs on there in a version I don't have yet
good thing that they chose to use songs for this that weren't the greatest produced songs to begin with

salome, let's say U2 remixed "A Sort of Homecoming" for the 1st Best Of... change a few lyrics, "strip" down the production and change the guitars a bit, would you have preferred that or are you glad they decided to leave it off altogether, since they didnt feel it was good enough for the Best Of, maybe it would have been if they "tweaked" it a bit, maybe since everyone dislikes the studio version of "Bad" they could have put the Diffusion remix on there instead... ?

re. A Sort of Homecoming
I wouldn't like that at all
but I also wouldn't start saying that their apologizing for the original, which is a bizar statement for us to be making up really
I would guess that the band or at least someone out there feels that this way the compilation would feel/be listened to more as a untity

re. Bad
a mix on that fist best off would have stuck out like a sore finger

Salome said:
re. A Sort of Homecoming
I wouldn't like that at all
but I also wouldn't start saying that their apologizing for the original, which is a bizar statement for us to be making up really
I would guess that the band or at least someone out there feels that this way the compilation would feel/be listened to more as a untity

re. Bad
a mix on that fist best off would have stuck out like a sore finger

well, I can only go by what my gut reaction is. and that is: it FEELS to me like the remixes are apologetic. if it doesn't feel that way to you, then that's great.
I envy you.
I wish that u2, my favorite band for the last 17 years, whom I've seen live 10 times, who I've got everything from and listen to every day, released these remixes and I could say "man, these are cool".
sorry.
I felt that way right from the beginning when the pop singles were being released "tweaked". first, they totally ruined the middle section of lnoe, then they destroyed the feel of the original please, then they bastardized igwsha. so my feeling is, when they remix, the don't fix.....because the originals are better.

besides, they spent so much studio time on these, they should be in the studio working on NEW tunes.

bottom line is: who really gives a shit if there's a new mix of discoteque??????:yawn: :sigh:

I always thought the purpose of remixing a single was to make it sound ... well, like a single
a song can ask for a bit of a different approach on an album then it does when it has to stand allone as a single

JOFO said:
bottom line is: who really gives a shit if there's a new mix of discoteque??????:yawn: :sigh:
I sure don't
but neither do I care whether avarage music fans buys this album or not

JOFO said:

certainly not wrong; as a matter of fact, I agree with everything you say in your post.

the reason that the remixes annoy me, is that it seems, to me anyway, that u2 are trying to "fix" pop, or make it more ATYCLB-fan friendly (less samples/loops; more guitars, etc) and it's like: there was nothing wrong with pop in the first place.....besides, that was 5 and 1/2 years ago....can you imagine right after zooropa came out u2 remixing rattle and hum adding loops and samples? of course not. pop captured a period in time and to change that soundscape now seems contrived and as if they're seeking forgiveness for an artistic statement because there was such a negative reaction to it.
look, there are people who are u2 fans who love pop/don't like atyclb...there are those who love atyclb and hate pop....there are those who love it all...I consider myself to be in the last category...
I hate to see u2:

I would have loved it if they put out the best of cd with the original versions of the pop tunes with a discalimer that said "if you don't like these tunes, kiss our ass".

that's what I call "fucking with the mainstream".:silent:
JOFO, I can totally see where you are coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with all of it. Most of what you are arguing is based on a premise that "seems" to be the case for you. It's really a feeling, isn't it? You see, I personally think that Edge would remix EVERYTHING if he could, and the Pop songs gave him an excuse to finally do some remixing, as they were going on the Best Of, and here's the real kicker - maybe he genuinely wasn't impressed with the originals. Pretty much any artist, writer, poet, or what have you will tell you that they constantly go back to earlier work and work on it. Some poets, for example, work on a poem their entire lives, constantly revising, changing, adding, subtracting - and always striving to make it "perfect" (the way they see it). I honestly think that's what U2 were trying to do with these remixes: trying to make them more into what they felt they should be. I don't think that's a bad thing, as it's a natural tendency for any artist.

However, I must say that many times it does screw up a song, poem, piece of artwork, when one has too much time tyring to make it perfect. Listen to 'One' for example. That was recorded in one night! As Bono said, they didn't have time "to fuck it up". I suppose if they really wanted to, they could go back and add in the live version segments (ie, the "Hear me calling Lord" section at the end), but it could take away from the original. Part of what is so incredible about the original, for me, is that sense of dissolvment that takes place at the end - leaving you wanting more. That would be destroyed with the additional segment. But we would also always have the original, so it wouldn't really matter (which is geting back to my very first point).

You might know that The Joshua Tree is my favourite album (by anyone), and I think it is pure perfection. However, I would *love* to hear not just a remix, but a re-recording of WTSHNN, but using Bono's old vocals. That would be awesome! It might not compare to the original, but I would LOVE to hear it. I don't think that would be U2 apologizing for the original, at all. It would be a revision, in my mind, to show off a great song in a newer light.

In the end, this is all just opinion, anyway!

Last edited:
why it feels this way

I posted this in the other thread too...

I'm not talking about the Mysterious Ways or Lemon mixes. Its only the mixes from Pop that set me thinking. Whether you listen to the single mixes of IGWSHA and Please or the recent mixes of Discotheque and Gone ( I havent heard the SATS one yet), you cant shake off the feeling that they have added a fullness to the songs. The instrumentation and vocals seem louder, clearer and more like Pre-Zooropa U2, less like the actual Pop. I could distinctly feel this with the new Gone. Now why would U2 do this to songs from Pop. I dont have anything against remixing songs and bringing out an alternate version but why would they make these versions sound less like the actual album and more like old U2??? That's why the apologising part came to mind.

I was unsure about even listening to it at first.... Gone is my 2nd favorite song, and I was worried about the remix being bad...*cough*Discotheque*cough*

but I must say that I like it....it's more soulful...there is a bit more desperation in Bono's voice....

Re: why it feels this way

unnamed_streets said:
I posted this in the other thread too...

I'm not talking about the Mysterious Ways or Lemon mixes. Its only the mixes from Pop that set me thinking. Whether you listen to the single mixes of IGWSHA and Please or the recent mixes of Discotheque and Gone ( I havent heard the SATS one yet), you cant shake off the feeling that they have added a fullness to the songs. The instrumentation and vocals seem louder, clearer and more like Pre-Zooropa U2, less like the actual Pop. I could distinctly feel this with the new Gone. Now why would U2 do this to songs from Pop. I dont have anything against remixing songs and bringing out an alternate version but why would they make these versions sound less like the actual album and more like old U2??? That's why the apologising part came to mind.
I simply think that they changed the songs after rediscovering them live, during tour. That's why they sound more full - because the live versions do as well. If you take 'Gone' for example, you'll notice that the rythem and the bridge sound just like the live version. It's simply revisionism. Not a bad thing, and nothing to do with apology.

I love remixes in general bc it's another option and how could anyone complain about having more U2 to listen too!!! Who cares what version you like, I think we all have personal favorites and I agree the new mixes do sound more full, it's exciting and I bet we'll get some serious rocking tunes next album!

Enjoy!!!!

Is there an mp3? I skimmed this thread but didnt see anything about it.

My problem with these new mixes is that they should be on the b sides disc; the original versions are far superior and should be included in the pantheon pof the A sides. I think of i this way: if this best of was put on a time capsule, I'd rather have the orginal versions represent the 90's material from POP.

When I heard this mixes, the idea of "apologizing" came to my mind, is interesting how others came to the same idea, its like blaming the producers of Pop, for its supposedly lack of success (Larry whinning that it ONLY sold 8 million copies).

Wasn't the album at some point going to be named POP FOR MEN? it seems now its POP FOR HER ;)

hmmmmm- being a huge fan of the song 'Gone' the re-mix dosnt really do it for me, I like it but it really dosnt sound that different to me, the re-mix dosnt really explore and 'push' the song to any new or different places (like the perfecto mix of Mysterious ways, completely different sound and approach from the original and it works) I think and it should be longer, anyway I still like it cause I love Gone, however it could be a lot more I rekon:)

Sicy said:
Is there an mp3? I skimmed this thread but didnt see anything about it.

I have the song in mp3, I just recorded it from the official site and encoded it to an 128kb mp3.

Also, can someone clarify for me, has Bono completely resung the vocal? Or have they just used the original vocal, and Bono has added parts?

I noticed he did add his ATYCLB-era "uhh yah-yah-yah-yah!!" yell thing.

Last edited:
pr0digy said:

I have the song in mp3, I just recorded it from the official site and encoded it to an 128kb mp3.

Also, can someone clarify for me, has Bono completely resung the vocal? Or have they just used the original vocal, and Bono has added parts?

I noticed he did add his ATYCLB-era "uhh yah-yah-yah-yah!!" yell thing.
I'm almost positive that it's a new vocal. Not only because of the sound of his voice, but also because that's how he sung it live, during the Elevation Tour.

newmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewmedianewme

newmedia would be a place to start.

but i believe u2log still has a link to a site that has everything(gone, numb, hands, e storm, new york etc.).

i dont think its any better than the original, just sounds a bit more like the live version. what i do love abotu this is that bono added his indian style chanting thing.
im a big fan of those.
prodigy and michael, i think you'll find they've been around for longer than ATYCLB too. Check out Please live from Popmart. It was a big part of Please. He did them back then. I love the bono chant baby!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom