MERGED --> Get better Sian + Look at u2mp3s.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get Better Sian

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet. I hope its not true, but Reuters is reporting that Edge's daughter Sian has Leukemia.

My thoughts go out to Edge and his family. I hope Sian recovers.

http://www.reuters.ca/locales/c_new...rtainmentNews&localeKey=en_CA&storyID=7614213

U2 made a clean sweep in all three categories where it was nominated, winning the rock song and shortform video, and rock performance prizes for its tune, "Vertigo."

Frontman Bono said he was "genuinely surprised" by the latter award, adding, "This is the best Grammys we've ever seen, I've ever seen."

The band's guitarist, the Edge, dedicated his award to his young daughter, Sian, who is reportedly suffering from leukemia, although the band had not commented on the matter.

The illness almost forced the band to cancel its upcoming world tour. In a rare turn at the microphone, drummer Larry Mullen, Jr. apologized to fans for the recent snafu where many fan club members were unable to buy tickets for the shows, which quickly sold out.

My boyfriend didn't believe that there was a sickness in the Edge's family and more likely thought that the delay had to do with album sales. I'm glad that the Edge told him wrong but no so glad that his daughter is sick.

Look at u2mp3s.com

There's a "message from Bono" about the presale situation.

I think we're all very lucky this tour is even considered, much less being planned to go ahead. (also remember what Larry said at the Grammys "we didn't think we were going to be able to play live for the rest of the year")

Last edited:
Very sad indeed :(

It is great to see the band being so open about what's going on. They're obviously working extremely hard to make the tour happen at all, so I think we should cut them some slack over the whole ticket fiasco. I just hope that the tour happening altogether is a sign that Edge's daughter is getting better. That's what really matters.

Amen I hope she's doing much better and continues to do so.

Props to Larry and now Bono for speaking out about the situation and hopefully calming some fans down.

Geez, I feel so bad for Edge. I really wish his daughter a speedy and safe recovery. I also hope U2 finds peace on the road. It will be very hard for these guys to perform night after night if things aren't right back at home with Edge's daughter. I think I speak for all U2 fans when I say our prayers are with you Edge.

I feel kinda dumb for asking this, but is this for real? Is this Melissa actually a reputable source or what? This sounds to me like this is just one of those fanfic writings than an actual occurance.

I'm not trying to question her credibility or anything, I'm just asking exactly who this person is, as I know nothing about her and don't really understand her connection with U2. Is she one of those random groupie fans that follow the band everywhere?

Also, if Bono really wants the fans to hear the whole story, why doesn't he come out with a message on U2.com? Seems strange to me that he picks Melissa as his official spokesman. Then again, maybe there's a whole backstory I'm unaware of...

Last edited:
From what I'm aware of, Melissa was at the Chateau Marmont yesterday before the Grammys and was able to speak with Bono for about 20 minutes yesterday morning. :shrug:

When the tour wasn't cancelled, I hoped that perhaps the rumors were wrong. After all, losing one's aging father - as traumatic as that is - isn't quite the same as a child fighting for her life. So when the tour plans continued, I felt that perhaps the illness wasn't nearly as bad as rumored.

Sadly, it appears all rumors are true. :sad:

I agree with Bono's sentiments about fans. This is a tour. It's a luxury to see U2. I hate the fans who've seen them 83 times yet still feel the need to complain about every single thing U2 does. These people aren't fans, IMO, no matter how many U2 records they have or how many times they've seen U2.

I've been a fan for over 20 years - I've seen U2 a grand total of 7 times. I have tickets for just two shows this year - one being a trip (of my lifetime) to see them in Dublin. I've never been to Dublin. My good friend is from there and he's never seen U2 in his hometown either. His son (from a previous relationship) is having his first Communion in Paris the week prior to the concert. I hope to visit Paris, London and Dublin - as well as see U2. It'll be a whirlwind 10-14 days, but for me it's fantastic. :hyper: I almost didn't get tickets, but some e-mails to "the powers that be" in the U2 camp generated outstanding results. I thank them. :bow:

However, it's still a luxury - the whole trip is a luxury. This is not the same as a child in a hospital. And I wish some fans would get this. U2 does not have to tour. The fact that someone didn't get tickets is not the "end of the world". :sigh:

ElectricalVoice said:
Suddenly Larrys two famous words make sense!!!

Yeah, that's right...

I'm trying to imagine how would I feel about some people that complain about tickets when ther is a matter of life and death.... I don't think that I would have the will to apologize like Larry did....

I think that I event wouldn't find it neccessary to apologize...

For those of you who can't access that blog for some reason, here is what it says.

Of course, it's tricky to trust someone we don't know like that, but that's kind of true for everything we read on the internet so... Still worth reading.

There are a number of fans who have met the band several times (you can call them groupies or stalkers if you want...) to the point that Bono knows who they are and stuff. So this is totally possible.

Got to the hotel @ 10 am. Saw their security. Bono's bodyguard waved at me. I was the only fan there.

Bono came out shortly thereafter. (approx 5 mintues later) I talked to him for a good 20 minutes.

Me: Hey, Mr. B! I'm you're only fan today.
B: (rubbing hands together) That's ok. (grin)
(B gives me a big hug that I so totally needed, lol)
Me: Do you remember me? Melissa from Boston... (cut off)
B: Of course I do... with yer long hair now. (he flips my hair)
Me: Yeah, I decided to grow it out... But, y'know, (I play punch his arm) I have to ask....
(he rolls his eyes facetiously)
Me: Did you get my note?
B: No, I didn't. What did it say?
Me: Oh, I thought I couldn't come by because I'm writing a script and have had interviews in North Hollywood.
B: How's it going?
Me: Really well!
B: Did you go to school for writing or are you just making it up as you go along?
Me: I went to Boston College.
B: What's it called?
Me: *title of film*
B: Cool... What's it about?
Me: *synopsis of film*
(his eyes light up and he smiles at me)
B: *title of film*, that's a good poster!
(pause)
B: So, we're playing Sometimes tonight...
Me: Why not Vertigo?
B: That's hard to answer... It's been played, y'know - over played. People know it. Even a band as big as U2 has to sell new songs... Change it up... (he continues on about change and keeping things new and different)
(pause)
Me: So... the presale fiasco...
B: (following summarized for key points) The sad thing is the whole thing happened because of Edge's situation. The tour was canceled 5 times. People worked round the clock just to keep the tour alive. Some people got snubbed and they've a right to complain, but some people are taking it too far -- those people aren't fans, they've an agenda. The heartwrenching thing is -- there's a little girl fighting for her life. (pause) It's our fault. It was an error. And we're doing everything we can to fix it.
(Security calls him to leave. As Bono walks away he turns back towards me with his hand extended and a pleading tone.)
B: You'll tell the people won't you? Will you tell them? You'll tell them what I said, right?
Me: I'll tell them.

Last edited:
I think AN apology was appropriate. The pre-sale merited some type of response, otherwise, why apologize at all?

The Grammy awards apology IMO was probably above and beyond the call of duty (an exemplary thing) for the band to do. The band had a large forum through the Grammys to show that they were sorry, give a reason for any type of problems, etc. Larry decided to use the Grammy "forum" to set some things "right." Considering it is a night when many fans (casual/ super) were probably watching the show (who also might not have had access or any idea about U2's attempts at fixing the situation or U2's acts of contrition), it was a smart move.

Fans had a right to complain (who were "mistreated") and make a statement. I think poo poo-ing all the complaints as being "unneccessary" is lame. There were issues. Either way, that part of U2 is history so, whatever.

Edge's family issues were always unclear but last night they opened up a little bit more. Personally, I do not believe fans are "entitled" to a tour. U2 does't have to tour if there are issues, and they don't have to bend over backwards on that issue is personal issues come up. Fans (even the whiners) CAN be understanding of that. Hope Edge and family pull through whatever problems they are going through.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Personally, I do not believe fans are "entitled" to a tour. U2 does't have to tour if there are issues, and they don't have to bend over backwards on that issue is personal issues come up. Fans (even the whiners) CAN be understanding of that. Hope Edge and family pull through whatever problems they are going through.

Thank you. :applaud:

doctorwho said:
However, it's still a luxury - the whole trip is a luxury. This is not the same as a child in a hospital. And I wish some fans would get this. U2 does not have to tour. The fact that someone didn't get tickets is not the "end of the world". :sigh:

I totally agree that if the tour were cancelled it would be for very good reason. The fact that they are touring at all is amazing to me. I pray that everything continues to go positive for Sian as it appears to be since the tour is on. I think people will be disappointed, but not upset with the band if they still have to cancel.

However, since they ARE touring and if I didn't get tickets through the pre-sale (luckily I did) - I can't say that I wouldn't be really upset – “whining” so to speak. I've been going through a hard time and the tour has been like a bright light in the future for me. Someplace to get to. U2 is that important to me. I'd hate to be as dramatic as saying it would be "the end of the world" if I didn't have tickets - but I really sympathize with those that were not lucky enough to get any through the pre-sale and certainly won’t hold it against them if they need to vent about it.

U2 are also upset that long time fans were shut out. They have apologized - and it really stinks that they have been quietly dealing with a sick child to then have to deal with the horror of learning how their tickets sales were so botched. I hope that their management team takes better care of them in the future. I have also been sad to see how much of a small blur Bono’s efforts at the Economic Forum on January 27, 2005. The news threads about it sunk quickly amongst all of the ticket angst. It really stinks that the publicity generated from the Forum had to share the news with the ticket fiasco. The results must have been affected in a negative way. Bono works so hard, that must have been a slap in his face. It was really out of his control and the fan’s control at that point. It was too late to go back and do it right.

I realize there have been some that take things to an extreme (still not being understanding after the band’s apology, wanting to sue the band, etc.), but I think this is a minority group of “fans” at this point. Most fans I know are just dealing with the disappointment of being mistreated by poor planning. They are moving past the issue and are healing from the hurt of not feeling important to the band that they supported for years.

Leukemia has a pretty high success rate if caught early. Let's hope that that is the case for the Edge's family.

that's horrible. It's hard to have any more respect for Edge then I already do, but to actually show up and perform so well is tremendous. I wouldn't be able to do it.

Best wishes to his family.

maybe... hopefully, this means his daughter is getting better? i pray it is, and for morliegh to be their aswell? maybe this is good news. i keep my fingers crossed and my hopes and prayes will stay with the edge and his family

Back
Top Bottom