MERGED ---> DVD question + best of U2 DVD oddity + Early XXXmas present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
daisybean said:

Another question...is it just me or does the software that the dvd forces you to use on the computer really suck...the quality on my computer was really bad.

I hate that program, I didn't install it and used WinDVD instead...
I don't think you can get the trabbie one on your computer unless you want to extract the mpeg and find someone who knows how to make screen savers...
or find a program that plays videos for your screen saver. I have one on my other computer...

stupid freaking trabbie in a fishtank won't work

Kristie said:

I don't think you can get the trabbie one on your computer unless you want to extract the mpeg and find someone who knows how to make screen savers...
or find a program that plays videos for your screen saver. I have one on my other computer...

huh? :confused: not a word of that made sense to me.

I think I'm overtired and cranky.

Re: stupid freaking trabbie in a fishtank won't work

daisybean said:

huh? :confused: not a word of that made sense to me.

I think I'm overtired and cranky.
the screensaver is not really a screensaver, more like a looped video clip. to get it on your PC, you need to rip (record) it from the DVD and manually make a screensaver out of it.
all this=loads of work.

To answer the technical question concerning someone who could not hear proper sound on the DVD:

This DVD comes with so-called LPCM sound, which is high quality (better than Dolby Digital quality actually). Your DVD player probably can't playback that kind of sound. Contact your player's company hotline for help, maybe there is a fix. Ask for LPCM sound playback support. To verify that this is the problem indeed, make sure that you ARE able to hear proper sound when it comes to the directors' comments on the clips since these are made in Dolby Digital and not LPCM. The history mix was also made on LPCM exclusively so that explains it. Also, I have to nore that the Elevation Live in Boston DVD had doulbe sound tracks, both an LPCM track and a Dolby Digital track. So you had a choice of two audio channels, with Dolby Digital being the default choice. So if you have that DVD, it must have worked for you.

Last note: Dolby Digital is also known as AC3 and is the standard sound of all DVD's so there is no DVD player unable to play Dolby Digital. LPCM is sort of rare, I have only seen it on U2 DVD's, it works ok on my computer (I have no DVD standalone player) but I'm not sure how many of the standalone players support this feature.

I have to note that The Fly video of the DVD is not the original version.

I have found one difference so far. It's the opening mouths that appear in some parts of the video (like in the beginning and in after the 2nd chorus). The mouths have been removed in this video! Compare it with the version on the Achtung Baby videos...

voxson said:

I have found one difference so far. It's the opening mouths that appear in some parts of the video (like in the beginning and in after the 2nd chorus). The mouths have been removed in this video! Compare it with the version on the Achtung Baby videos...

I noticed this!!! The first few times, I thought that I must have just missed it by not paying close attention.

I do miss bonomouth saying "Achtung Baby"!! :drool:

voxson said:

Last Night on Earth, HMTMKMKM, and I think Discotheque but I'm not sure... they aren't the same as the ones I have on mpeg too, I don't know if it's because I downloaded random versions or what.
Did you notice the MW video has the changed lyric too?
[/random observations]

:mad: I'm having a problem with my DVD!

When I put it in on my birthday it worked just fine...but then I had to take it out because we had company.

So I put it in tonight again and it kept skipping and I can't even play through the video for Hands That Built America!!! At one point the DVD player stopped and it said, "disc is dirty." How the frick could the disc be dirty already? It's brand spanking new!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Whew! I'm a little fired up right now...Got a little margarita and eggnog w/rum in me...:happy:

voxson said:

Yeah, I noticed this too. I also noticed they cut out the part where Bono licks his finger. Eh. :silent: I wonder why they cut it? :scratch:

I got the DVD for Christmas! I am going to be watching that again and again until I wear it out :hyper:
So far, my favorites are Mysterious Ways, One(NY), Please, and WGRYWH. I think Numb and Discotheque are hilarious. The band in their Village People gear is so ridiculous its funny, and my favorite part in Numb is when the little kid slaps Edge around. :lol:
Question: wasn't there another version of UTEOTW? Wasn't it all black with the members all tied up? wonder if they've hidden it for the same reasons as the Red Hill video

the different version of Until the End... is on the achtung baby video collection. I am not sure why they went with the live version....

Hello,

I guess this is the current 'Best Of DVD' thread, so I think my comments best fit in here. I got this DVD for Christmas (like many of you, not?) even though I don't have a DVD player (well, I have a DVD-ROM on my computer). So I popped the disc in and started watching. Let me start with some questions (negative energy?) so that I have that out of the way and I can and on many positive notes.

- Why all the small changes in video's (Mysterious Ways has the lyric chance, HMTMKMKM has the US (censored) version with Mr. Swampy's instead of Mr. Pussy's, LNOE has no text anymore and now I read that also The Fly has some different shots)?

That's the only non-positive comment I can make of this DVD. The rest is awesome to me. 28 Videos! 22 Commentaries! Documentaries! Rare footage! This is U2 heaven. For me, the commentaries are maybe the highlight. I've seen most videos often (as I had taped them from TV) so with the commentaries I see the videos in a whole different light.

Anton Corbijn and Phil Joanou are my favourite commentators. As a fellow Dutchman I can understand Anton perfectly (so no problem there). He also discusses the meaning behind his videos, a meaning that often goes further than the one of your average director. And he knows what I want to know (just when I thought during the Please video 'How did he find these people?' he started talking about the casting).
Phil is also great. He's full of anecdotes and can explain all the technical aspects in a clear way. There's never a dull moment in his commentaries.
I have a bit more trouble with the ones by Kevin Godley. To me, they sound a bit dry. He often mentions what we are seeing and not the story behind it. As there are also some silent spots in his commentaries it is sometimes a bit boring. In that light, the least succesful commentary is the one for HMTMKMKM. I think that's a great video (cool animation), but they don't go into it that much. He and Maurice Linnane mention a bit what's going on on screen and how much fun they had making that video, but not much about the process of making it (I think an amazing feat of the video is that the animation and the live action parts really complement eachother). Still, I prefer any commentary over none at all and most are quite special.

The documentaries are also quite cool. Maybe the 'Electrical Storm' one is more of a promo featurette, but the other two are really insightful. The 'Sarajevo' really highlights why it was so special to play that city. Of course, being the fanatic, it was way too short with way too little video from the actual concert, but hey, you're a fanatic or not. What actually surprised me was the quality of the Zooropa live footage. It looked really fresh, DVD worthy.

Speaking of live footage, I thought the video quality of the Gone performance looked better than the Popmart trailer on the Elevation 2001 DVD. That trailer had a really soft look and dull colours. Here, the look is still quite soft (not sharp), but the colours are more vibrant. Full DVD-release anyone?

Somebody asked why they didn't use the 'regular' video of UTEOTW, but instead a live-cut. When watching it tonight I thought that both Gone and UTEOTW were a very good sample of U2's two live tours of that decade, making the document (of U2 in the '90's) more complete.

It is a great Christmas gift. Now I have to start saving for a real DVD-player.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
As a fellow Dutchman I can understand Anton perfectly (so no problem there).

Thanks for pointing this out! For some stupid reason all these years I had the impression that Anton Corbijn was Czech!

I also have to agree with you on the commentaries. They are one of the highlights of the DVD because I learnt so much information on some moments in U2's career that I had no idea about!

As for the different versions, some of them are natural so there can be one version of the DVD available all over the world without problems with rating. For example the Rattle And Hum DVD I own has a big "15" sign on explaining it is suited for kids of 15 and older! As for the other changes, I think it's probably some small teasers to keep us wondering!!!

voxson said:
To answer the technical question concerning someone who could not hear proper sound on the DVD:

This DVD comes with so-called LPCM sound, which is high quality (better than Dolby Digital quality actually). Your DVD player probably can't playback that kind of sound. Contact your player's company hotline for help, maybe there is a fix. Ask for LPCM sound playback support. To verify that this is the problem indeed, make sure that you ARE able to hear proper sound when it comes to the directors' comments on the clips since these are made in Dolby Digital and not LPCM. The history mix was also made on LPCM exclusively so that explains it. Also, I have to nore that the Elevation Live in Boston DVD had doulbe sound tracks, both an LPCM track and a Dolby Digital track. So you had a choice of two audio channels, with Dolby Digital being the default choice. So if you have that DVD, it must have worked for you.

Last note: Dolby Digital is also known as AC3 and is the standard sound of all DVD's so there is no DVD player unable to play Dolby Digital. LPCM is sort of rare, I have only seen it on U2 DVD's, it works ok on my computer (I have no DVD standalone player) but I'm not sure how many of the standalone players support this feature.
sorry but that is pretty dumb on the production part. most DVD's out there give you an option of different sound options to allow both mainstreamers and enthusiats to enjoy the DVD. this is the ONLY DVD that i own that sound like complete rubbish on my TV. you're right, it does sound better on my PC.
i'd like to say it's a small nag but it really isn't and is pissing me off the more i listen to this on the TV and even some people i know commented on the horrible sound quality. after all U2 makes music.
and before anyone blabbles about me being unthankful or that it works fine for them etc. please just shove it. i am thankful but there is no excuse for something like this. even some cheapo amatuer skatboarding dvd's i own sound better.

Last edited:
Ok, so I am the only pathetic person here who has the VHS and not the DVD because I have other financial priorities right now and before I can get a DVD player I have to move and then buy a big new TV which I don't even want because I hate TV and blah blah blah.

But I have an urgent question that perhaps DVD owners can answer...what concert was Until the End of the World taken from? Urgent because I just want to know. Now. In case, you know, I was there and I can show it to my friends and say "I was there." Thank you. :)

Mine is fine but I haven't tried it in a PC DVD ROM, only in a DVD player, it might be the player or the machine can't handle the disc?

:)

Where did you guys buy your dvds? I live in a small city(make that very small) so I'm having a hard time finding it. Otherwise I will be making an hour long trip to Best Buy and if it's not there..... :rant:

joyfulgirl said:
Ok, so I am the only pathetic person here who has the VHS and not the DVD because I have other financial priorities right now and before I can get a DVD player I have to move and then buy a big new TV which I don't even want because I hate TV and blah blah blah.

Nah, you're not the only one. But I think you are one of the few (I believe Sting2 is also going for the VHS version).

But I have an urgent question that perhaps DVD owners can answer...what concert was Until the End of the World taken from? Urgent because I just want to know. Now. In case, you know, I was there and I can show it to my friends and say "I was there." Thank you. :)

I think it is from the show in Yankee Stadium in New York on 30 August 1992.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Nah, you're not the only one. But I think you are one of the few (I believe Sting2 is also going for the VHS version).

Gasp! I knew STING2 and I would eventually find something in common! :wave: hi Sting

I think it is from the show in Yankee Stadium in New York on 30 August 1992.

C ya!

Marty

GASP!! I WAS there! I had a feeling!

Thanks Marty--you always come thru. :kiss:

joyfulgirl said:

Well, if you own a computer, you can buy a DVD player for your computer for something like $60 so it's not that expensive and is definitely worth it if you ask me...

Back
Top Bottom