MERGED--> Did anyone see + New 'One' Music Vid has just premiered on C4 (British TV)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's #5 at iTunes/UK. No matter what you think of the video, U2 knows how to make money.

Last edited:
martha, i love you. :love:

this is a mary j. blige cover off a mary j. blige album... of course she would get top billing. that's just common sense.

the way this song came about dates back to the elevation tour, when bono recieved the music cares award prior to the grammys. they had a ceremony where a bunch of different artists performed different u2 songs, and mary j. blige performed one, all by herself. even though no recordings were ever made public, it was praised by all in attendance, including the band themselves who suggested she record the song.

5 years late they hooked up for the hurricaine katrina benefit, and talked again about mary using the song on her new album. they took u2's live track from the toronto rehersals and recorded a studio recording over mary's part.

it's a cover song, with the original artist performing BACKUP to the artist covering the song. it's not like this is the first time that's been done. i recall tom petty backing up johnny cash for a version of "i won't back down" on one of the american recording albums.

ya don't like the song? fine... your opinion. but it's not like this was a one off idea that came out of nowhere just to try and make an extra buck.

as for the video it's self, i find it to be a hell of a lot better than a large majority of videos u2 have ever done, which tend to suck. the imagery is beautiful in it's simplicity. is there a point to the video? no... it's just an artisticly shot performance video. that said, is there a point to th elevation video? suck in a moment? vertigo? most of u2's videos?

fuck.

martha said:
JESUS people! Do you NOT REALIZE that this is a MARY J. BLIGE single??? So all your bitching and whining about how "background" U2 is doesn't mean a damn thing?

FUCK.

yeah.

Bono does sing the first verse though,

but don't lose any sleep over it.

martha said:

:kiss:

My ass has been cold lately. :sad:

backyard.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:

is there a point to the video? no... it's just an artisticly shot performance video. that said, is there a point to th elevation video? suck in a moment? vertigo? most of u2's videos?

fuck.

You said "suck in a moment" ... :giggle:

Headache showing himself to be the superfan and giving up the info that I had no idea about! Interesting stuff!

Catman said:

I just assume it's because this particular version of the song is off of MJB's new album. Also, I think the band got quite a bit exposure in the video... :scratch:

agree

I like it!

There's no doubt that the original version of One is beautiful. And now younger people can experience the song even if it is different. That's cool in itself.
Ps I don't see Bono's chest in this video. Believe me, I looked, but isn't that a Tshirt he's wearing?

Last edited:
The video bored me, personally.

But at least it wasn't a slow mo video of Mary J. Blige running off a cliff. I almost expected that. Imagine the surprise when I found the same old tired, cliched black and white, performance, glam shot video. Yawn.

Thought it was good myself, best version ive heard with Mary J in it yet, If we want to complain about over the top complain about the version of I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For in Rattle and Hum The Movie:)

Just saw the video on Viva. Loved the black and white images/silhouettes, who directed the video? Feels Corbijn-ish.

Favourite part was seeing the band rock out in the end. I think the slightly faster beat helps make the song feel fresher.

edit: Paul Hunter is the director, found that info on u2tour.de

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom