MERGED ---> Describing 'City of Blinding Lights' + I hate people who think U2 is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what I'm trying to say is, Coldplay literally can't become the "Next U2". To do so, they'd need to re-invent themselves numerous times, go on tours that actually play in stadiums rather than in theaters, and work as hard as they are now, if not harder, at 56 years of age (the year 2026) to match U2's mammoth success and popularity.

And I don't know about you, but I'm not in the mood to hear 55+ year old Brits playing hard rock songs that include falsetto vocals and awful 4-part harmonies like the one in Fix You.

Meghan said:
My friends are generally pretty accepting of my U2 obsession, but occasionally I'll get questions like:

"Don't you think all their songs sound the same?"
No. :rolleyes:

"Aren't they in their forties or something? That's too old to be making music."
No it isn't.

(You can see I'm very good with comebacks :wink: )

And all of them love Coldplay to death.... :mad: :wink:

It's funny... when HTDAAB, some critics said that CoBL is basically "Streets" redone. I disagree, but at least it's U2 copying U2. Now that CoBL is a single, suddenly it's U2 copying Coldplay?

Fortunately, most fans aren't as stuipd as DJ's. When "Clocks" was released, I had some friends telling me that they thought a new U2 song just came out. So at least fans know their music.

As for your friends loving Coldplay, Meghan, do they fall asleep quickly? Are they easily bored? Do they find the need to relax a lot? I joked with my coworker who saw Coldplay in concert about how he must have had a great 2 hour nap. :wink: He actually went along with the joke, which shows that even Coldplay fans realize that Coldplay can be a tad, uh, low-key. ;)

doctorwho said:
Fortunately, most fans aren't as stuipd as DJ's. When "Clocks" was released, I had some friends telling me that they thought a new U2 song just came out. So at least fans know their music.
I don't see how anyone can really get a Coldplay song and a U2 song mixed up. Bono's voice is completely different from Chris Martin's. (I can't stand Chris's falsetto thing :yuck: )

doctorwho said:
As for your friends loving Coldplay, Meghan, do they fall asleep quickly? Are they easily bored? Do they find the need to relax a lot? I joked with my coworker who saw Coldplay in concert about how he must have had a great 2 hour nap. :wink: He actually went along with the joke, which shows that even Coldplay fans realize that Coldplay can be a tad, uh, low-key. ;)
:lol:
Very low key indeed. I like Coldplay, but I find it hard to listen to a whole album in one sitting. I just get so bored.

I don't think my friends confused "Clocks" as a U2 song once Martin's voice kicked in - I think that comment was based on the long piano beginning and the rather haunting sound of the song. Haunting songs are a U2 trademark (see "With or Without You", for example).

I don't love Martin's voice at all, but I can tolerate it. In fact, I think I could be a big Coldplay fan if they just made some upbeat songs. I don't mean an album of rockers - they can keep their slower, abstract, low-key songs (like U2 has on every album), but I feel they also need to spice it up some - show that they can rock. If they can do this, I feel there is a chance for them to step up to the next level. But based on their past work, making faster, fun, rocking songs would seem so out of character for them that I'm not even sure if they can do it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom