MERGED-->COBL radio edit / single edit discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
City of Blinding Lights radio edit

According to u2tour.de, it is 4 minutes and 11 seconds long...
Looks like they are gonna massacre it pretty badly...

In which case they will be making a bad song sound even worse.
I don't mean that to sound harsh, I just dislike that one song immensely, and have done ever since I first heard it.

beau2ifulday said:
In which case they will be making a bad song sound even worse.
I don't mean that to sound harsh, I just dislike that one song immensely, and have done ever since I first heard it.

<makes the obligatory "it's the best song since Heartland" quote to counter this> :wink:

Haven't listened to the radio so I haven't even had a chance to hear the edit. I hope they haven't destroyed it too much ...

With the great "single version" (like Please, Walk On... or Wild Horses), edited to sound more like the live vesion, with less "Disney" feel... and louder drums... it could be a real "classic".:hmm:

Last edited:
yea i don't know why but i just love the radio versions of some songs, they sound much cooler. they have some special magic to them on the radio.

bathiu said:
With the great "single version" (like Please, Walk On... or Wild Horses), edited to sound more like the live vesion, with less "Disney" feel... and louder drums... it could be a real "classic".:hmm:
that would fantastic :)

Well, I love this song, and I hope they don't change it too much if it goes to radio as a single.

As daygloeyes2 said, it has been getting quite a bit of airplay in Boston in its original version, and that's fine with me.

joerags said:
They should have released Miracle Drug. It's more radio friendly.

I like Miracle Drug better but COBL is WAAAYY more radio friendly. It's faster and has a catchy chorus. Miracle Drug starts out kind of drearily.

joerags said:
They should have released Miracle Drug. It's more radio friendly.

i know its all opinion, but i think miracle drug is one of the most UNfriendly tracks on the album. to me the chorus is just not catchy at all. people have been comparing it to with or without you, but i see no similarities whatsoever. :shrug:

Can't believe all the COBL bashing. My buddy, who really doesn't care for U2 at all, recently heard the song and made the comment of how much of an amazing song it is. I find it to be my favorite track off the record.

COBL is one of my favorite tracks from the album.

I hate it when they just cut the songs up though. I think they should just remix it. It could use a remixing anyways.

Where have I been, COBL is on the radio now?

But yeah... I tend to think Miracle Drug is better.

My non-U2 friends all seem to like OOTS and City of Blinding Lights on first listen so either of those are good...COBL intro is sort of long for the radio I have to agree.

COBL will do nothing as a single--the one thing I hope for is that they take out that tinkling piano at the beginning (not the notes just the tinkling)I hate that part--sounds like an Italian pop song. If they do not release MD as a single they are crazy--perfect as a summer single--I kinda like COBL live--but there is something about the song that has always bothered me--my least fave track of HTDAAB.

anyone have an MP3 of the CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS radio edit 4.11 mins long?

I think Miracle Drug is perfect for a Christmas season release, not summer.

Miracle Drug isn't just Radio UNfriendly, it's plain bad...

City of Blinding Lights (as I always say) SAVED 'the bomb' along with 'Original of the Species' and 'Yahweh' (for me PERSONALLY!!) and I was hoping one of the three would be released as a single, glad it's this one.

Actual COBL cover art/ radio edit (4:11) promo

promo artwork, looks like the single edit is 4:11. Yikes.

here is the link, just a radio DJ copy, no b-sides or anything
the real single can't be too far away. But this is the artwork, I like it.

damn thing isn't showing up for me. click the link if you cant see
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/images/pr056-01.jpg

pr056-01.jpg

Last edited:
How exciting. I hope that isn't anything like the commercial release cover. Our non-U2 fans would by like "What the heck is that?" And we would say a curtain of lights.

Back
Top Bottom