MERGED-->COBL radio edit / single edit discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sucks! The funny thing is that I havn't even heard it, but I know it sucks----lol. All of U2's edited songs are crap compared to the album version. Lemon is a good example. They shouldn't even bother releasing this in the States, at least. It'll do about as well as 'Sometimes' did, which isn't very good. Too bad, though. They're both great songs.

I don't like it - it sounds like it's been chopped up and stuck together again with bits missing. To my ears, it just doesn't flow. However, i've become accustomed to the album version - to the masses who have never heard the album version, it's not going to make a difference.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. After what I had read, I thought I was going to be outraged. I hate the fact that the intro is cut BUT it's cut in about the best way I could've imagined. I can cope with this.

The outro sounds horrible, though.

Really, I don't see why they had to edit it. Fuck radio standards. Release the song the way it's meant to be, not the way some DJ would like it to fit perfectly on the Playlist For The Mindless Masses.

Nah - too much to ask this time I reckon. I was very suprised that 'Sometimes' went all the way. Happy of course - but suprised none-the-less. I didn't think the single-buying public in their thousands would be old enough to appreciate it!:wink:

But, I guess we never know - if we think basically, the tune itself is nice, so could appeal to the same ppl out there that may have enjoyed the last 2 singles but not yet bought the album. We'll just have to wait and see!

One thing's for sure - I shall be buying all 3 versions!:wink:

I think COBL single has great potential to get in the top5 singles. I don't mean to reach #1 because there are too much summer releasements now, but COBL is too a great rock tune... My friends loved the song when I showed them the single edit....

beau2ifulday said:

Well, they still play better shite than what local radio stations seem to regurgitate.

My local station, played City of Blinding Lights just the other day,

alright, which idiot set this track's volume adjustment to 100%?!?! I just put this on and it nearly blew my fucking speakers!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Heh, sorry about that..........I amplify everything so then I don't have to turn the speakers up as loudly to get the volume I want....plus, it doubles the max I can get out of these things......and honestly, only loud can you get the real RAWK experience. :wink:

Just heard it on the radio for the first time this morning, and Chris Moyles said he loved it. So, maybe given the right amount of airplay, who knows - perhaps a 3rd no.1 could be on the cards!!:hyper:

I heard it for the first time on the radio over the weekend and they played the full song! I was happy.

Personally, I think radio edits are, on the whole, not nearly as good as the original songs. A song is however long it is, and that should be the end of it.

The problem is, as someone else pointed out, that radio stations generally won't play 'long' songs. And that is just symptomatic of society today, where people want instant gratification and if they don't get it, they're not happy.

It's a very sad state of affairs. A brilliant example is table-tennis. Recently, they changed the rules in the game, reducing the number of points needed to win a game from 21 to 11 (think they're the right numbers). They also made the balls smaller so that the game was faster. The reason? Because people weren't prepared to sit and watch a whole game of table-tennis anymore. Ergo, they've made it shorter - they've done a radio edit of table-tennis. Same reason the one day test was introduced into cricket.

Sadly, through no fault of the musicians, the masses aren't on the whole prepared to listen to lengthy songs. And at the end of the day, U2/their management/the record label are ultimately out to sell records, so they're not going to release something that won't sell so well.

The thing we have to ask really is whether it actually matters to us fans? I've heard the edit (thanks to a kind poster on this thread :) )and it's not nearly as good as the original, because that's not how it's meant to sound. But, we've all got the record, so we can hear the song in its entirety, as it was meant to be, anytime we want. Ultimately, I don't think it's that big a deal, other than, as I said, the way society is tending.

But isn't the cover gorgeous? :)

I listen to radio 1 not much longer than a hour in the mornings (ok late mornings). 3 days running now I've heard it! Suprisingly nice to sing along in the shower! Hehe.

Anyone else appiled to get the free wallet thing? Totally trying to get the hardcores to buy all 3 versions....but hell it worked for me! Probably just a flimsy bit of paper.

Back
Top Bottom