MERGED--> 'Catorce' + 1 - 2 - 3 - 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
'Catorce'

It seems that the way Bono chose 'Catorce' is because it launches the song off better... if he were to sing 'Cuatro' that would resemble Wooley Bully... so bascially 'Catorce' launches the song, Bono sends the song off when he sings it.

also-not including the 2 'best-of's" it is their 14th album (all the studio ones plus R&H, Wide Awake, and Blood red).
1,2,3....14!

I've heard mentioned elsewhere that Steve Lillywhite produced albums 1, 2, 3 and 14. Though i tend to doubt that's the reason.

I think people are reading too much into this. I think it's simply a reiteration of "Turn it up loud, Captain." Kind of like a fast car goes from zero to 60 in _____ seconds they are going from 3 to 14 instead of the usual 3 to 4.

I personally think Bono just had no clue what he was singing and by the time it was mastered it was too late to make changes.

Now everyone is trying to come up with a reason for this (and I admit there have been some pretty creative thoughts!!!)

I just find it funny, the very first time I heard the intro to that song and heard "catorce" I chuckled.

Though it isn't a far stretch to imagine Bono did it purposely, he likes symbolism and metaphor as we all know :wink:

I think "catorce" is just a great word so they used it! I like the idea of it being the 14th album though, and it makes sense. It's not too far-fetched for them to have thought of it.

I think it's a humor thing. Catorce does sound better.

Initially I thought he was saying "once" (Spanish 11) instead of "uno" ... now the lyrics at U2.com indicate he says "unos" (which is ones, plural of one).

So go figure.

On the DVD at the beginning of Crumbs, he sings 'Coo now, slow down, kuma' or something. It's a great live stripped-down version on the DVD.

Flying FuManchu said:
In the Radio 1 interview... it seemed like Bono could speak Spanish decently, but I don't know.

I'll go back and listen to it but his Spanish was full of a lot of Italian. He was saying things like "questo" ('this' in Italian) instead of "esto" ('this' in Spanish). I'll go back and see if I can't piece together a translation of his broken Spanish.

Regarding the "unos" vs. "uno" I wonder if that's how they count off in Spain. (Any Spaniards out there that can corroborate?) I know that in Chile they count off "un, dos, tres...)

(Oh, new to the forum, btw.)

Check out a new post "Bono's Broken Spanish..."

http://forum.interference.com/t104099.html

Last edited:
1 - 2 - 3 - 14

Can this counting mean that it's the 14th album and that it goes back to the roots of the first three albums?

1. Boy
2. War
3. October
4. Under a blood red sky
5. The unforgetable fire
6. The Joshua tree
7. Rattle and hum
8. Achtung baby
9. Zooropa
10. Pop
11. Best of 1980 - 1990
12. All that you can't leave behind
13. Best of 1990 - 2000
14. How to dismantle an atomic bomb

And what is Bono saying between this counting and the first verse? Any ideas?

Ronald

it's actually Bono saying "Turn it up loud, captain."

AND it's Bono singing the 2nd chorus to AMaaW.

i can't believe some of you people can't discern Edge's voice from Bono's voice!

Back
Top Bottom