MERGED-->Bono's stolen notebook returned?!+October lyrics returned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

explorer

The Fly
Bono's stolen notebook returned?!

found this article and i couldnt believe my eyes:

It only took 23 years, but Bono finally has his October lyrics back. During a speech tonight [Oct, 20] in Portland, Bono told a Rose Garden crowd that earlier in the day two girls, "Cindy" and "Danielle" returned the bag that had been stolen or lost during the band's first visit to Portland in March, 1981. The bag is said to have contained a notebook with Bono's early lyrics for the October album, although Neil McCormick recently told @U2 that Bono has confessed "there was probably nothing in the notebook." Well, now Bono can see for himself how much or how little had been written down when the notebook went missing. - @u2.com

could the october lyrics ever see the light of day?

Last edited:
So where did Bono lose the notebook in the first place?? and how did it get in Danielle and Cindy's hands?? Im wondering how old these "girls" are and where were their "moms at the time of the
missing book??
Can you tell I've been watching all these new detective shows...
I'd like to gather these women up for questioning!:|

Whoa. That's almost as cool as finding all those lost Beatles tapes in a suitcase from a thrift shop.

...okay, it's not that cool, but still, it's pretty darn spiffy. At least the girls were nice enough to actually return it to him...however they got it... perhaps it was all a grand scheme to eventually meet Bono someday :wink: I can see it now...

Cindy: Hey, look at that guy. He's cute.

Danielle: Isn't he in a band?

Cindy: I dunno. Maybe. If he is he'll probably become famous or something.

Danielle: Hey, I know! Let's, like, take something of his and then we can give it back to him...like...um...later!!! When he's all famous and stuff.

Cindy: Yeah okay how about, say, 23 years from now?

Danielle: Sounds good to me. *grabs bag* So in 23 years we'll give it back to him, because surely he'll be famous by then!

Cindy: And then we'll get to meet a famous person!!!

Danielle: YAY!

I really hope it's not a hoax on the part of the girls, like, they filled a notebook with crappy poetry and gave it to Bono saying it was his thinking he'll make songs out of the lyrics/bad poetry.

BonoFox1 said:
So where did Bono lose the notebook in the first place??

when u2 was originally working on the album October, his notebook (which supposedly had most of the lyrics to the songs for that album) was lost/stolen, i think in portland. many say it's the reason why some of the lyrics aren't that great. that's why Bono sings,
"I try to sing this song loud"
in the beginning of gloria. i mean if you actually just read through the lyrics to October, they seem a little ad lib'ed. dont get me wrong, it's actually one of my favorite albums of theirs, but it just blows my mind to think of what it could have been. kinda like pop if they had more time....:drool:

Last edited:
david said:
I really hope it's not a hoax on the part of the girls, like, they filled a notebook with crappy poetry and gave it to Bono saying it was his thinking he'll make songs out of the lyrics/bad poetry.

Well I hope Bono'd recognize his own writing and whatnot...

I still wonder...why now after all these years do they return it?

maybe they corrected all of Bono's grammar and rewrote some of the lyrics, 'Finding Forester' style :wink:

explorer said:

when u2 was originally working on the album October, his notebook (which supposedly had most of the lyrics to the songs for that album) was lost/stolen, i think in portland. many say it's the reason why some of the lyrics aren't that great. that's why Bono sings,
"I try to sing this song loud"
in the beginning of gloria. i mean if you actually just read through the lyrics to October, they seem a little ad lib'ed. dont get me wrong, it's actually one of my favorite albums of theirs, but it just blows my mind to think of what it could have been. kinda like pop if they had more time....:drool:

Thank you Explorer..WOW this is something I would imagine seeing in Unsolved Mysteries or some show like that..That's wild!:huh:

I think we need a few more "?!?!?!"s

I'm sure the notebook will find a lovely home somewhere in Larry's house full of U2 stuff. Of course, that's only if Bono doesn't lose it before he gets home.

Ha ha! Imagine if it was a hoax...

I was told by a friend (I think he visits here once every so often) that J.K. Rowling, when visiting America, was handed loads of envelopes by fans when greeting them, and her bodyguards, etc. just took them and instantly tore them to SHREDS...! And she just said something like:

"What the...?! Why did you do THAT?!?"

And the bodyguards warned her they're trying to give her storylines and if ANYTHING similiar to what they've written shows up in any future Harry Potter novels (or any OTHER J.K. Rowling books, for that matter) they will try and sue her...how lovely of the Americans...:eyebrow:

Anyway, just thinking maybe these girls have written a load of crap poetry, enjoy yoga and pretending to be at one with the earth etc...and tried handing it over to Bono and seeing if any new songs contain their poems which he's been led to believe he wrote 23 years ago...!!

You may recall the other part of the story. What was stolen was actually his briefcase, containing a fairly large amount of cash and the notebook. I'm sure they weren't even interested in the notebook.
I wonder if Bono was just making a little joke about this, since it happened in Portland.:shrug:

I remember Adam making a joke some time back about the lost notebook. Saying that he thought Bono might have not actually had anything and needed an excuse for getting out of lyric writing so he came up with a stolen notebook story.

hmmm i stand to be corrected, but i believe theres a girl in PLEBA called Danielle who was in Portland for this...
the plot thickens

According to a U2 fan who was in the audience last night in Portland (two days I saw the B-man in Memphis), Bono publicly thanked Cindy and Danielle (think those were their names) in his speech who were supposed to be somewhere in the audience for returning his notebook!:wink:

Supposedly Bono expressed his gratitude that his "back pages" were never published or sold.

This had to be one of the most personally gratifying experiences for Bono in a long time - we all know how he has talked about this missing notebook over the years with some regret - and now, he has it back!

:hyper:

I was REALLY EXCITED for Bono when I read this.

It's great to see BONO RECEIVING BACK SOME OF ALL THE GOOD HE HAS GIVEN the world all these years! :sexywink:

I hope that this is just the beginning of people giving back to the B-man more than they have taken.

Bono has given us so much - time for us to find appropriate ways to give back to him.:yes:

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :love: :hug:

i found the article this morning, and for some reason i got excited. i highly doubt we'll get to read/hear any of the contents of the notebook, but how cool would that be, really? i think i'd be more excited to hear that than the new album, even.

i'm a huge fan of october, too, but yeah, some of the songs could have used some fine tuning. my least favourite u2 lyric: 'i wrote this song to tell you the way i feel'. october is an unpolished gem. at the moment, it's the cd i'm most into.

I was there last night and Bono was very sincere about this. In fact one of the first things he said to us was what an amazing day it had been for him because of having the lyrics returned to him after 23 years. And he did publicly thank Cindy and Danielle. So, were they the two girls he has spoken about that originally stole it from him? THAT part he did not elaborate on. Just one unexpected moment in an incredible evening with Bono!

Originally posted by
Anyway, just thinking maybe these girls have written a load of crap poetry, enjoy yoga and pretending to be at one with the earth etc...and tried handing it over to Bono and seeing if any new songs contain their poems which he's been led to believe he wrote 23 years ago...!! [/B]

I can guarantee you that Bono was not writing about Yoga and "being one with the earth" 23 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is amazing to me... Why would they wait soooo long to return it? Didn't Bono have his laptop stolen at one point also? I seem to recall it had lyrics on it as well, and he was really pissed off about it. I am struggling to remember but I think it was around the time POP was being finished.

Flying FuManchu said:
If Bono really got his "notebook" back and if there are really "better lyrics" in the notebook, I say they should rerelease a redone October. That would be the right thing to do.

i would love to see this happen, but it just ain't gonna happen. they couldn't redo the songs now as they would have sounded in 1981. it was too long ago. at best we might hear one or two songs. if there's anything good in there, i'm sure the boys will play around with it to see what they come up with, but an entire redo is not in the cards (no matter how awesome that would be).

Yeah October is such a great song but just too short that every time i hear it i think of that. I vote for a redone October as well but i doubt his voice will sound anywhere close to that good. :drool:

You do realize that if these were the people who stole the notebook, there's no way they could be "girls" anymore. Try women? Maybe their dads stole the notebook and were too guilty to return it themselves?:ohmy:

But this is incredible.

You also do realize that if he hadn't lost his notebook, than he wouldn't have been so deperately stuck for lyrics so close to the release date, then he wouldn't have needed to pray for inspiration, and the Spirit wouldn't have gotten involved, so to speak. The instant Latin lyrics that became "I try to song this song.." would never have come out. And a whole style of improvisation in thr studio--THE unique studio songwriting style of the band--would not be around today. The course of rock history would thus be different.

Sometimes thivery has its merits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom