MERGED-->Bono Time Magazine's 2005 Person of the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way to go Bono! :applaud: After all he has done he truly deserves this honor! So happy that he was recognized for all of this. See you can be the world's biggest rock star but still have a heart of pure gold and give a damn!

*Ally* said:

yeah, i read that article. he basically criticizes bono, b/c he disagrees with bono's suggested solution for helping africa. difference of opinion, i suppose- but it does seem a bit nasty at times.
I haven't read that article, but I don't really care if people disagree with Bono. That's their opinion. But the problem I do have with many of them is that they can't just disagree with him, they have to be snide and nasty about it, like making remarks about it being foolish for some rock star to be involved in these important word issues. These people rarely ever acknowledge that Bono is widely recognized as a true expert on the problems in Africa. This leads me to assume that they either don't know about Bono's expertise which means they actually know little about the subject they are criticizing him about, or they do know but will not give him credit for his expertise which means they are simply jealous.

Anyway, congrats to Bono and Mr. & Mrs. Gates. They all deserve this honor.

it would have been easy to pick Katrina, imo. Bono and the gates are the wise choice, more exposure for the issues that affect far more people than Katrina did. :up:

This is just too awesome - way to go, Bono! It's funny how so many people seriously worried TIME was going to choose J.K. Rowling. LOL.

i am guessing since they had a photo shoot bono and gates had to keep this on the hush hush....i am surprised it didnt get out

Headache in a Suitcase said:
time.jpg

Yaaaaaayyy!!!! :rockon: :sad:

[The fact that he's standing in between Bill and Melinda Gates is creepy... kinda like he's getting in between their marriage or something... this could be a Spanish soap in the making! :huh: ]

Last edited:
chiso said:

Yaaaaaayyy!!!! :rockon: :sad:

[The fact that he's standing in between Bill and Melinda Gates is creepy... kinda like he's getting in between their marriage or something... this could be a Spanish soap in the making! :huh: ]

kakvox said:
it would have been easy to pick Katrina, imo. Bono and the gates are the wise choice, more exposure for the issues that affect far more people than Katrina did. :up:

:yes: I couldn't agree more! Yay for Bono!! Bono for president! Bono for king of the world!

Ok, enough of my craziness. Being serious, congratulations to Bono and the Gates' for getting this amazing honor.

Anyone know when this will be on the newsstands?

chiso said:

Spanish soap:lol: !
that is indeed what it looks like, what a creepy cheapy looking shot they chose, man:huh:

the theroux piece is just rude I thought, yuck.
will I get upset watching commentary from CNN folks too?! I think I'll tape it for watching later so I don't get too much yuck in one day.
cheers all!

edit: to be clear, I love it that Time picked Bono et al, that's not yucky at all...the theroux piece was.

and thanks for posting that picture on page 1 of this thread hcbiggs2002! I love it, and Bono's purple socks! ( I have a pair like that which I will wear more often now:yes: )

Last edited:
Zootomic said:

I haven't read that article, but I don't really care if people disagree with Bono. That's their opinion. But the problem I do have with many of them is that they can't just disagree with him, they have to be snide and nasty about it, like making remarks about it being foolish for some rock star to be involved in these important word issues. These people rarely ever acknowledge that Bono is widely recognized as a true expert on the problems in Africa. This leads me to assume that they either don't know about Bono's expertise which means they actually know little about the subject they are criticizing him about, or they do know but will not give him credit for his expertise which means they are simply jealous.

Anyway, congrats to Bono and Mr. & Mrs. Gates. They all deserve this honor.

Very true. I read the article since at a little Peace Corps reunion I had Friday night one of my friends mentioned it. My friend was ignorant of what Bono does as well.

I think a lot of people don't really know Bono's mission and message. They just make assumptions.

I think I should direct people to the DATA website. LOL!

also, Peace Corps' mission is very different from Bono's so I don't know what this guy is harping about.

Sigh!!!!

P.S. I hope everyone got the CNN Time Special countdown of sorts to the Person(s) of the Year!

Has anyone read the actual article inside it? I get Time tomorrow but I couldn't wait, there're pieces on both Melinda/Bill and Bono and Bono's really blew me away. :up: :up: Sometimes articles on him can get boring, but this was excellent and I never really understood how much he did. :yes: :love:

(I have to admit, I was skeptical about him being "Person of the Year" :reject: ... but now I wholeheartedly agree)

thelaj said:
I don't see why Miranda Gates is up there but Ali Hewson isn't?

I hope you're not saying this just because she is Bono's wife!

What has she done?

I ask because I seriously don't know.

Zootlesque said:

I hope you're not saying this just because she is Bono's wife!

What has she done?

I ask because I seriously don't know.

Feel free to refer to the link in my signature. She's done a lot: Greenpeace, Chernobyl Childrens Project, Shut Sellafield, EDUN, etc, etc.....

It would be interesting to see Bono and Ali there as a pair, b/c as much as Ali's "Bono's wife", she does a LOT of things that Bono doesn't have much to do with. However, I think the Person of the Year is kinda chosen from an American perspective, whether that's fair or not, and most of Ali's work besides EDUN isn't known here. Shut Sellafield and the Chernobyl Childrens Project are Irish things.

Just Curious? Does anyone know where the photo/press shots of Bill, Melinda and Bono were taken? They were all over the news tonight, but is Bono at the Gates house in Seattle again? Where does he find the time...

Lewis12 said:
Just Curious? Does anyone know where the photo/press shots of Bill, Melinda and Bono were taken? They were all over the news tonight, but is Bono at the Gates house in Seattle again? Where does he find the time...

I think I read in there that they were shot in Omaha last week (I think on Friday), the Gateses came to where Bono was.

Good point about Ali, thelaj. Time would've had to run the idea of "Person of the Year" by the prospective winners to see if they would accept, get photo shoots, etc. Hopefully, this is what she preferred. In any case, I'm very glad to see Bono and the Gateses
recognized for their most important work!!!!! Enjoyed the CNN show last night, but it really only barely scratched the surface. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom