MERGED ----> Bono On American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:

Elliott Yamin sang "One" with Mary J Blige during last year's finale. So technically, they did a Mary J Blige song. :wink:

The only time a U2 song was performed by a contestant sang a U2 song (at least in the US) was when they had that World Idol thing, and the winner, Kurt Nilsen from Norway, sang "Beautiful Day." He was good.

on Pop Idol (UK AI) some guy butchered 7 shades of shit out of With or Without You :tsk:

U2girl said:
The "oh noes Bono on AI!" and "wah wah more Africa" attitude posts - surely by now you know the type when you see it. It's hysterical if it turns out the man isn't actually gonna be on that show. Much ado about nothing.

:corn:

Wait...so Bono ISN'T singing on American Idol?

OHNOZ!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

U2girl said:
The "oh noes Bono on AI!" and "wah wah more Africa" attitude posts - surely by now you know the type when you see it. It's hysterical if it turns out the man isn't actually gonna be on that show. Much ado about nothing.

hmm, i saw maybe 2 people give their opinion that it wasn't a good idea, but i must have missed all the "hysterical" posts

waynetravis said:

on Pop Idol (UK AI) some guy butchered 7 shades of shit out of With or Without You :tsk:

Interesting. I wonder if the different Idols have different lists of songs they're able to use? Or if the kids in the US look at the U2 song on the list and say, "Shit, I can't do Bono justice. I'm not singing that."

:wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
'hysterical posts'?????:huh: where?

noes.gif

tonight on E!News Weekend, Ryan Seacrest did an item on the AI Africa shows. He mentioned several celebs but no mention of Bono whatsoever.

silvrlvr said:
tonight on E!News Weekend, Ryan Seacrest did an item on the AI Africa shows. He mentioned several celebs but no mention of Bono whatsoever.

Entertainment Tonight did a piece about it and also there was no mention of Bono what-so-ever.

haha, this is just like the bono-knighthood-thing. people make up these stories because they're friggin' bored.

corianderstem said:

Interesting. I wonder if the different Idols have different lists of songs they're able to use? Or if the kids in the US look at the U2 song on the list and say, "Shit, I can't do Bono justice. I'm not singing that."

Doubt it, given that every season some of the contestants attempt songs that they have absolutely no business singing (Stevie Wonder and Sam Cooke songs need to be banned from the show for this reason.) I could only pray that Idol contestants would have that much self-awareness.

I'm thinking that U2 songs just aren't available to the American Idol kids, given that we've gone six seasons without hearing one. Elliott singing "One" with MJB doesn't count, because 1) He didn't choose to sing that song, and 2) it was technically MJB's version and not U2's. That still doesn't explain why contestants on other countries' "Idol" shows have done U2 songs, but I thnk the total absence of the U2 catalogue from the American show isn't by accident.

And I am so very tired of people going on about the world's problems without doing anything about them and instead are picking on other ones who actually do something.

I am not keen on having Bono on this show, and I really doubt he will perform (don't even think he will appear), but at least his ways to raise awarness are creative. He knows how to reach people.

I know people are tired of hearing about Africa, but let's keep our problems in perspective. I'm sure people in Africa are tired of starving to death and dying while they wait for medicine. By comparison, having to hear Africa mentioned on our fave tv shows isn't such a burden, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom