Merged --> Bono in Chicago last night! + Bono at Chicago... + Bono & Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali Rose

New Yorker
Bono at Chicago Arragon Stones show Tonight???

Guys i just got this email from a friend of mine in CHicago that does music reviews....and GET THIS....

I went to the Rolling Stones show tonight here in Chicago. They were playing the third of their shows in a "club", the Aragon Ballroom. About 75 minutes into
the show, the band went into "It's Only Rock N' Roll". After the first verse, a well dressed man in a suit, with his hair slicked back and shades on took the
stage to sing with them.

Bono performed the song with the Stones and even sang part of "Going To A Go-Go" towards the end of "It's Only Rock N' Roll". To say it was surreal is the
understatement of my short life. This is always the type of stuff you read about but never really get to witness. Seeing the Stones in such a small place is an experience in and of itself, but this put it into another world.

Tonight, I got to witness it firsthand....

Tony
:shocked:

:scream: *Is reading about and NOT witnessing*

GINA GET YER ASS OUT THERE AND MEET THE MAN NOW!!!!!!!!
:macdevil:

Wow!...if it's true, that must've been amazing to see. What would be the odds of that happening?! Sounds cool as hell...would love to get pics/sounds of it.

Well it makes perfect sense since he's in Chicago for the Oprah Show tomorrow....

*SIGH

I wish I Lived in Chicago

:shrug:

LOL...I meant, what are the odds of that happening at any random concert someone would go to...

I just need to follow Bono around city to city...not stalker like, just as a dedicated fan. :yes:

i knew it

i was at bono's hotel last night waiting for him, but there was no sign of him......two other girls were there and they were like he's probably at the stones concert at the aragon....well, at least we were right

YeBono at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago last night!

Yes It's True! I was there and yes it was amazing. First, to get my hands on the toughest ticket in Chicago in god knows how long (tickets were being scalped for $2500 through brokers). Secondly, to be enjoying the show and all of a sudden have Bono walk on stage...I did a nights worth of screaming in about 4 minutes. I had more people ask me "Who is that?" I was embarassed for them and could only ignore their questions? Amazing...could have only hoped for a version of "Wild Horses"...that would have been too cool! Anyway, recovering this morning and nobody at work believes my story. Wait until they read it in the Tribune tomorrow.

Had to share and hope all's well. Haven't visited the forum in awhile. Good to be back.

Re: Re: YeBono at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago last night!

dipster said:
Here is a picture I found

stones_1.jpg

Yep, that's on PLEBA and the news forum already, I'm waiting for more with closeups of Bono!

I saw The Stones the Friday Night at Comiskey Park and I must say it was great. The band has still got it. A few tunes dragged but all in all it was great fun. "Sympathy For The Devil" rocked the crowd of 50,000 and you couldn't have asked for a better night.

To even think about seeing Mick and Bono performing side by side is incredible. I've always wanted to hear the version of "Stuck in a Moment..." with Jagger singing back-up.

-[z]-

Bono and the Stones

Hi. Never posted here before, but I read often. I thought I'd post a story from today's Chicago Tribune. And just to think...only a couple miles from me! jason

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-020917qbono.story

Bono hits stage with Stones, delighting fans and Jagger

By Greg Kot
Tribune rock critic
Published September 17, 2002

Bono paid a little visit to some old friends while in town Monday to tape an "Oprah Winfrey Show." He strolled unannounced onto the Aragon Ballroom stage to join the Rolling Stones on "I Know It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" on the final night of the British rock band's weeklong, three-concert Chicago residency.

It took a few seconds for Bono's presence to register on the audience; the singer wore wraparound shades, a black suit and looked as if he'd put on a few pounds since U2's last tour, resembling the lost Blues Brother. But fans gasped and cheered as the U2 front man began trading lines with Mick Jagger, then improvised a bit of Smokey Robinson's "Going to a Go-Go," while the Stones singer smiled. "That was a surprise to me," Jagger cracked.

Bono's "Oprah" appearance, during which he was to discuss his years-long crusade for Third World debt and hunger relief, is scheduled to air Friday.

Got this from IORR a little while ago. It's from a fan review and covers everything that went down on stage...

"...The part of the evening most everyone will talk about came during It's Only Rock and Roll. There was general disbelief for several seconds as Bono of U2 appeared in a neat black suit, his hair seeming shorter or more slicked back than on the Elevation Tour. He stood hesitating near Charlie for a while, and then joined Mick front and center. Twisting the usual lyrics, Bono sang to Mick "Do you think that you're the only man in town?" Mick planted tongue in cheek and rolled his eyes, making for an extraordinary rock and roll moment that was nothing short of classic. Bono seemed a bit stiff in his black suit, in the midst of the literally rolling Stones who had already sweated well through their colorful garb. As Keith interacted with Bono, and Ronnie sneaked in behind hitting Bono in the ass with the neck of his guitar, the U2 singer loosened up. This paid off with Bono doing great ad-libs as he does with his own band's songs, singing "Going to a go-go" during the usual "I know it's only rock'n'roll" part, evolving it into "Going to Chicago", which Mick joined in on. Bono then went on with the "I like it" portions, expounding further into how he "Loves Keith" and "Loves SIR Mick". Bono got off a few characteristically great screams of "I like it!" before he vanished from stage as quickly as he appeared. Even controlling for the easy guest appearance appeal of it, this was one of the very highest points of the show..."

Back
Top Bottom