MERGED---->Bono....go home dammit!!! + Bono's wanderlust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Bono....go home dammit!!!

First let me say that I greatly respect all of the causes that Bono supports and spends time on. I think that the work he does affects many people and things like the Heartland Tour get the word out to many folks that wouldnt normally hear about the issues.
But come on man, Bono, you have a family at home! You have a beautiful wife and children ! Your kids are growing up and those times you can never get back!
So after touring for a year plus, Bono decides to tour other places for other causes. Oprah, Larry King, Heartland.....hell last night he was playing at a movie opening. Once again this is great for us fans, and for the causes, but does his family come in 2nd, or 3rd place??

I may be wrong here, Im sure Ali and the kids are very understanding and he sees them occasionally even on the road, but come on man......think about it!
Anyone agree??:|

I agree, I think he's definitely overdue for a break. But he does have a place in New York, since Ali was with him at the premeire I'm guessing maybe the family is in the States right now.

Part of the reason Bono is doing this is for his children. He has mentioned that he wants the world to be better for them...and that we shouldn't pass our problems down to our children.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be away from your home and your family so much. I suppose he and his family is used to it...but it must be so hard sometimes. :(

Sometimes I think he should stay home, sometimes I think "well, there could be much worse situations....." which I know is probably not the best way of looking at it but it's true. I think when he does do home, he tries to spend time with his family.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I hardly ever saw any of my parents and they both work only minutes from my house.....

Bono is a special and gifted individual with many higher purposes. Obviously he would never do anything to jeopardize his family and his time with his family.

I know some people who, due to the way their job is, are only home Thursday night through Sunday morning. That's it, that's all. People make it work, and so do the Hewsons.

Bono probably see's his kids more than most Americans see their kids.

off topic a bit....but what are the rest of the guys doing while bono is out saving the world?

hopefully spending lots of time with their families and working on the new album....wishful thinking on the second one i think. :sigh:

yeah, bono should spend time with his family. i can wait on the upcoming tours. i'd rather see bono spend more time with his family than tour so much that it strains his family. i'll wait:)

HelloAngel said:
Bono is a special and gifted individual with many higher purposes. Obviously he would never do anything to jeopardize his family and his time with his family.

I know some people who, due to the way their job is, are only home Thursday night through Sunday morning. That's it, that's all. People make it work, and so do the Hewsons.

I agree 100%!! :yes:

Don't forget that Bono no doubt has a chartered biz jet that he can hop into and be home in several hours. Remember when his father was dying he would fly to Dublin after every show, then back to the next city the following day.

Being a rock star does have its little perks....

martha said:

Exactly. And who are we to criticize anyone? We have no idea how Bono spends his time most days, or who spends those days with him. His family may be with him most of the time for all any of us know. It's not our business.

Martha, this is true and I wanted to emphasize in the original post that I dont know the situation fully. But from our perspective I think he must be neglecting some fatherly duties. I am sure they "make it work" as some hae said. But it seems just making it work is not what it could be. Once again, its not my buisness, not trying to make it so, just wanted some opinions on the subject....thanks for the responses....:|

Would u all say the same thing, if he wasnt a famous person but workin his ass off to encourage the public to keep at the Causes hes dealin with?

With a family who understand and who DO most likely see him in between?

:eyebrow:

I would be applauding a person like that,.even though Elvis said made that point.......................

there a lots of pple out there like Bono, we just dont see them.................but they're out there.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us grew up with parents who worked crazy hours, and whom we didn't see as much as we wanted to. It's the reality of today's existence. Personally, if I were his kid, I'd prefer to not be travelling all over so much, it gets tiresome after a while. But those kids have got 2 (IMO) great parents, and I'm sure they're doing what they deem to be the best for them. It's not really for us to say.

I have a question about this whole crusade of his:

Why do you think Bono does it? What is the fuel or motivation that "really" makes him do this? Is he just one of those born natural leaders/matyrs? Is it his Catholic background??

Or does he really want to be JOhn Lennon? Is Lennon that much of an influence on him? You know, how sometimes we want to be Bono, imitate him, study and follow his values because we respect him. Well, is Bono doing the same as us with Mr. Lennon?

I'm not sure if any of these are correct, I'm just super curious.

if he wanted to be like John Lennon then wouldn't he have married an insane witch instead of Ali?

Bono's approach is completely different than John Lennon's. Lennon was more about gimme some peace. Bono is about action.

edit: While Lennon was probably the most politically active rock star of his generation, most of it was in the music and in mouthing off to the media. He & Yoko participated in demonstrations and stuff, and ran protest ads in the paper, but what Bono has accomplished has far exceeded what Lennon did. While Lennon may have been inspiration for Bono early on, I doubt he gives it much thought today.

His relationship with his family is their business. HelloAngel and martha :up:

Last edited:
Bono's wanderlust

I think Bono's always had a bad case of wanderlust, I don't think he's even capable of staying home all day everyday. I'm not either, my son's 4 and while I love him dearly my brain would turn to mush if I did nothing but stay home all day.

In my opinion only the parent knows what is best for the family. You have to make a compromise which makes both parents and kids happy. The compromise will vary greatly from family to family. . .

Also I do believe Ali's got a good system set up, where the household runs even more smoothly in Bono's absence :lol:

In the last episode of the Osbournes, Sharon told Jack, "You just have some fun, and when you've had enough fun, come home." It really made me wonder how many times Ali's said something like that to Bono over the years.

tackleberry said:
I know. Its the whole Catholic "Guilt" thing. I know what that feels like.:p

Um.... Except Bono isn't Catholic....!:p

He did say in one interview on the heartland tour that he supposed it was probably his faith that motivated him, however.

I think it was on Larry King that he specifically dismissed the John Lennon "Imagine" concept in favor of real political action. John Lennon had a lot of political awareness and spoke out for important causes, but I don't think he ever did anything as realistic and personally costly as Bono has done these past couple years.

Back
Top Bottom