MERGED --> BLASPHEMY.. the latest bono insult @ perezhilton.com + Jesus Loves You Too

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the story isn't perez's - he's just reporting it on his website. here's the story from http://www.recirca.com/artnews/546.shtml

Dutch sculptor Frans Smeets has unveiled Jesus Loves You Too (U2). The sculpture depicts the Irish rockstar in a long white robe similar to those that Jesus is often depicted in, only this one is labeled with a Nike symbol. The look is topped off with Emporio Armani sunglasses. At Bono's feet is an emaciated African infant whose eyes lie startlingly wide open. Its mouth is open as well, as if it is crying out, but the cry seems to fall on deaf ears, as Bono looks straight ahead and appears uninterested, even as he holds out his hands, palms facing upward.

According to the artist's website, Smeets is a "Dutch historian, philosopher, and artist. He makes art in which history, philosophy, skills, globalisation and the controversy between man and nature are important." Most of his sculptures are made of mixtures of materials such as "earthenware product, beeswax, paper, walnutwood, printboards, and woodpulp." The sculpture seems to match recent criticism over Bono's activism, particularly his DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade Africa) organization and its Product Red campaign. There is a multitude of praise and criticism for the rock singer's activism and everyone seems to have their own opinion. Local critic Liam Fay, writer for the Sunday Times, says about him, " It’s rarely mentioned now that Bono concentrates on international emergencies but there was a time when he also believed he had the answer to Ireland’s domestic problems... But that answer has changed with comic frequency."

pictures are on the above website as well.

sad & pathetic, to say the least. of all the people in the world, bono is the last person who deserves this kind of commentary...

Last edited:
Sorry, but, when you thrust yourself into the public eye, regardless of intent, you're a target for ridicule, scorn or parody. And when you suffer from a severe case of megalomania (and good, bad or otherwise, Bono...admittedly...does), you're really painting a target on your back.

If anyone is thoroughly convinced that Bono is a force for good, then, something like this sculpture should matter not to you, or so I think. If Plebans are allowed to ceaselessly post photos of the same 4 men in each thread, then this guy certainly has a right to create such a sculpture.

This is always the most confusing thing on this site to me, the shock and sometimes anger that pops up when the band are criticized, or when Bono himself falls under attack.

Who the fuck cares? Like I'm going to lose sleep over what Eric Clapton or Liam Gallagher have to say about anything, let alone something near and dear to my heart. What would be a lot worse is if everyone on the planet worshipped U2 or any other artist from any medium. That would frighten and upset me a whole hell of a lot more than to have some people like the band and to have some people that simply do not.

Anyway, I love U2's music, very much, and, I just read this article, and, it did not piss me off.

Zootlesque said:
What's that pouring from his hands? And why does he have a tan? :scratch:

Yeah, it looks like somebody slapped a pair of Bonoglasses on my grandfather after he's been out gardening too long :lol:

Utoo said:

Yeah, it looks like somebody slapped a pair of Bonoglasses on my grandfather after he's been out gardening too long :lol:

:lmao:!!! I literally burst out laughing when I read that! I still am.

I was gonna say... Ben Kingsley played Gandhi if I'm not mistaken. It looks like Gandhi wearing Bono sunglasses. Just ridiculously stupid!

Zootlesque said:
I was gonna say... Ben Kingsley played Gandhi if I'm not mistaken. It looks like Gandhi wearing Bono sunglasses. Just ridiculously stupid!

He won the Oscar for it, too, I believe.

Ironically the African baby's name is Oscar.

I'm just kidding, it's Larry.

I was actually thinking Yoda without the ears, but Ben Kingsley as Ghandi also suits. Only Ghandi wore a loin cloth most of the time. Imagine Bono in a loin cloth with sunglasses and a tan.

It would be wittier without the baby.

Axver said:

:lol: The Bono sculpture will be located in the town square of the model railway town. :wink:

:lmao: Only to eventually be pulled down and hit in the face with shoes...:lol:

that is the stupidest fucking statue i have ever seen...
i dont think the birds will even shit on it.
:lmao:

" If Plebans are allowed to ceaselessly post photos of the same 4 men in each thread, then this guy certainly has a right to create such a sculpture."

plebans dont make stupid ugly fucking statues that damage peoples eyes, leave us alone.

that is the most Fugly thing I've ever seen :huh:

:| I'm embarassed it's made by someone from my country,and I don't even know the guy...

seriously, it's ok to criticize someone, but why make such a hideous statue that doesn't look like him at all save the glasses?

The comments are no better than the statue.
Looks like all they want to do is be the first post.

Alos looks like some EYKIW'ers are there posting their Robin Williams crap.

Back
Top Bottom