Merged ----> best of 90-00 official info + track listing + t/l for 2nd Best Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bedouin fire

Refugee
best of 1990-2000 and es single: official info at u2.com

Track lists, release dates, b-sides, everything. Take a look and make your comments please.

I must say that I'm a little disapointed with the track list. I would like to see not only the greatest hits songs, but also the ones more polemic like Zoo Station, Crashed Car, Lemon and Mofo. These ones have rally made the difference for u2 of the 90's.

A real "best of" of the 90's would have to include Acrobat, Please, Wake Up Dead Man and In a Little While.

Well, like all the best of's from every band, I guess that the idea is to sell a lot and make big money. I will not care too much with this, u2 could really live without this one.

regards

From U2.com

The second volume of U2's Best of Collection, covering the years 1990-2000, will be released on November 4th. A limited edition Best of the B-sides will also be released, along with a new single Electrical Storm and , in December, a Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD.

The second volume of U2's Best Of collection will be released by Universal-Island Records on November 4th. Covering the years from 1990 to 2000, its sixteen tracks are the highlights of the albums Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1, Pop and All That You Can't Leave Behind. Two brand new tracks have been recorded for this set, Electrical Storm, which will be released as a single, and The Hands That Built America which will feature on the soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese movie The Gangs Of New York, released by Miramax in December 2002.

In addition, four songs, Discoth?que, Gone, Numb and Staring At The Sun have been substantially reworked by producer Mike Hedges.

A strictly limited edition run of U2: The Best Of 1990 - 2000 will feature a second cd collection, The Best Of The B-sides, as well as a bonus DVD with exclusive content including the History Mix of U2 in the '90s. This special value set will be available for one week only, after which the A-sides will be sold as a single cd.

The single, Electrical Storm, due for release on October 21st will be available on two CDs and a DVD format. The tracklistings are:

CD1 - Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) plus two remixes of New York, Nice Mix and Nasty Mix both by KLF's Jimmy Cauty.
CD2 - Electrical Storm and a live medley of Bad, 40 and Where The Streets Have No Name recorded in Boston on the Elevation tour.
DVD - Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) and video, exclusive sound bites from the band and a collection of photographs by Anton Corbijn.
The video for Electrical Storm is directed by Anton Corbijn and features actress Samantha Morton, who stars in Spielberg's Minority Report and received an Oscar nomination for her role in Woody Allen's Sweet And Lowdown.

The full album tracklisting is:

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) (new song)
One
Miss Sarajevo
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Gone (new mix)
Until The End Of The World
The Hands That Built America (new song)
Discoth?que (new mix)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Staring At The Sun (new mix)
Numb (new mix)
The First Time
The Fly

The 1990s was a period of reinvention and experimentation for U2, embracing rapidly developing technology and incorporating it into their distinctive sound. Many of the tracks on the B-sides collection are remixes of U2 tracks by leading DJs and producers, including Paul Oakenfold and Alan Moulder.

The B-sides tracklisting is as follows:

Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
Electrical Storm
Summer Rain
North & South Of The River
Your Blue Room
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
Salome (Zooromancer Mix)
Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
Numb (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix)
Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)
If God Will Send His Angels - (Big Yam Mix)
Lemon (Jeep Mix)
Discoth?que (Hexidecimal Mix)

This collection follows the release in 1998 of The Best Of 1980 - 1990, which topped the charts and achieved platinum sales throughout the world.

Finally, a Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD will be released on December 2nd and will feature promo videos of tracks from the A-sides cd, complete with commentary by the directors, who include Wim Wenders, Kevin Godley, Stephane Sednaoui, Anton Corbijn and Jonas Akerlund. Six bonus tracks are included on the DVD - Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Wild Horses, Lemon, Last Night On Earth and MoFo. In addition, many of the tracks feature alternative versions of the clips made for different countries, as early cuts or to accompany different mixes. Further exclusive content includes a mini documentary, The Road To Sarajevo, filmed in the Bosnian capital in the run up to U2's historic 1997 concert and complete with performance footage.

Skimmed it. Looks pretty cool (thanks, daisybean, btw!). The new mixes of some of the songs will be interesting to hear.

Good to see "The First Time" on there, a great song that deserves some more exposure. However I can't believe key '90s songs like Zooropa and Lemon are ommitted for Stuck In A Moment. Cool how The Fly is the last song on there. Looks like a great collection overall, the new mixes and new song will be interesting to hear.:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this tracklisting.. my only complaint is that ATYCLB is included. :slant: So glad they didn't ignore Pop though. :D I'm pretty satisfied. I can't wait to hear those New York remixes.

First Impressions

Surprise Inclusions:

The First Time

Suprise Omissions:

Lemon
Walk On & Elevation (I am thinking they were technically released
to radio in 2001, so maybe they will be on the next one)
Slow Dancing (on the B Side collection)

Other points:

It says 16 tracks in the beginning but then lists 17?
What is with Electrical Storm being on the B-Side CD as well?
I will get the CD2 Electrical Storm single as opposed to CD1 to get the other Elecrical Storm Mix assuming it is not on the B Side CD

Overall a lot of new remixes and material to look forward to!

Really good track listing for disk A. Disk B is a disapointment. Can't way for the DVD!!!!

Good to see HMTMKMKM and UTEOTW!!! :D

hmmm interesting, I cant wait to ehar the re-working of Gone and I am seriously at a loss as to why Lemon has not been included, if they are going for the'hits' this was a huge hit I know here in Australia, anyway I guess they have their reasons and that b-sides is going to be one good dance cd to listen to, as many of you will know the Solar Plexus' mix of Mysterious Ways is one of my fave U2 songs and I will look forward to hopefully hearing this blaring from many houses across Australia this summer and I am suprised to the first time in there, that is one of my meast fave songs from Zooropa and I dont think it really suits being on the best off, Lemon or even Zooropa (maybe without the long intro ) would of been better choices, but hey it is still good and I will be looking forward to buying a copy of this- one of my only legitimate (thanks to Kazza & cds burners) purchases this year:)

I'd rather see something else than stuck on there. :slant:

Surprised to see Miss Sarajevo as well.

Looks pretty cool though. :)

It's interesting...what appeals to me more is the DVD which is to be released later...that will be a treat (yay!). The actual CD's will be cool to hear for the new POP mixes.

I wish they would have put Please on the A-side instead of Stuck. I also wish they would have put Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless on the B-side disc instead of some of the remixes. But other than that I'm pretty happy.

Overall a good tracklisting, and i have to agree with all of you who think stuck in a moment shouldnt be there, walk on is lots of times better than that one. And where the fuck is please?

Very pleased HMTMKMKM UTEOTW, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Mysterious Ways are on there, key '90s songs..

Dissappointed at the omissions of Zooropa, Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay... Dirty Day, and Ultraviolet. Also, Stuck...shouldn't be on there.

Looking forward enormously to the Pop reworkings and the other new song though!!:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

This cd looks excellent. :up: Lemon would have been a nice addition...but not at the expense of any of those other tracks. I personally enjoy Stuck. :shrug: Perhaps that could have put Hands that Built America on the B-Side disc since it won't be a single and then included Lemon. Oh well. I look forward to the new release. Where's the cover art??:drool:

The First Time is a great song, but Please is much better. That would be my only complaint..(maybe the hidden track?)

It looks as if they tried to make this CD appeal to both casual and die-hard fans alike, with all the new mixes, etc. That has always been, and still is one of the reasons I love this band so much...

...and Stuck In A Moment is very deserving of it's place on this CD, in my opinion...it is a great song.:up:

It's so exciting to get all this official news! I agree with everyone about Lemon and Please- I think either of those would've been better than Stuck. I also thought it was kind of weird that The First Time is on there. It's a good song and all, but I think Lemon would've been better as a song from Zooropa. I was also surprised to see TGBHF omitted. And I would've preferred different songs instead of the remixes on the b-sides disc. But this is just random complaining- I'm really looking forward to Nov. 4th!

first of all, ebttrt should not be the lead off track.
secondly, ground beneath and walk on not on there but remixes?>???
ugghhh.

whatever....who fucking cares? put out a new album for christs sake.:rolleyes:

Well, like everyone I have my opinion about the track listing. I of course love some of the picks and hate a few of them. Here are my "glad they made it's": The First Time, Stay, Until the End of the World, Gone, and Numb. And here are my "why the hell did they not chose that one?": Lemon, Please, Walk On, and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

I don't like the choice of Stuck. I think Elevation and Walk On would have been better choices from ATYCLB. Personally, I don't think ATYCLB should have been on this Best of.

As far as the b-sides go, I am glad that Lady With the Spinning Head made it, as well as Your Blue Room, North and South of the River. I like a few of the remix picks like Dirty Day, Salome, Mysterious Ways, and Discotheque.

I am dissapointed that The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Night and Day, and Holy Joe didn't make the cut. I think a few of the remix choices are weak.

Overall I am mostly pleased by this Best of, and I can't wait to hear the new mixes of SATS, Numb, Disotheque, and Gone.

Yay for new U2!!!

Best of??

Where are:

WGRYWH
Lemon
Walk On
Elevation

To make room, I would leave off:

HMTMKMKM
Miss Sarajevo
Discotheque

why? because they didn't go over so well with many fans

For The First Time

why? Because most people probably don't know it or consider it a hit:huh:

All the rest can stay, including Stay (bad pun:p)

I don't want to be rude but I think my listing would sell better! I know I would listen to it all the way through if it were my list! Honestly, why would they put on For the First Time and HMTMKMKM and leave off WGRYWH and Walk On?? :confused: :shrug: :tsk:

No offense to U2 or this list in particular, but I have noticed that almost ALL bands' greatest hits leave off a big hit or 2 or 3 and replace them with also-rans and I really believe that record companies do this on purpose. If fans got all they wanted on a Best of, the other album sales might drop! Again, this goes for everybody, not just U2 so don't flame please!

HMTMKMKM was one of their most succesful songs in the 90s... that argument does work for Discotheque though. However, I love it and am not angered by it's presence.

Um, this sucks. The stuff from ATYCLB is completely out of place and crowds out worthy material actually from the nineties. And some B-sides were sacrificed for remixes (and an album track that just happened to be on a single). Ugh.

Last edited:
I guess everyone has their own idea of what should or shouldn't be on there. It's nice to see UTEOTW &Gone Remix on it-I called those!:yes: But it is kind of strange that only 2 ATYCLB tracks were included. It kind of short changes that album an some of the 90's stuff. I guess if a casual fan saw the new Best Of and BD was not on there they would be disappointed. Personally, I think a remixed Walk On would have been a wiser choice. It was record of the year as well. Not including TGBHF is kind of disappointing, especially if they are dipping into 2000. More people deserve to hear that song. Also surprising, no LEMON or PLEASE. :eyebrow: I'd say a lot of fans would put those up a 2 of their faves from the 90's. Plus they were singles. I would like to have seen LNOE as well....

I can't really complain though. I think this collection is far more satisfying than the 1st Best Of, especially if you have all of U2's albums. Now I don't feel like I'll be buying the set for just 2 new songs. There are alot of new remixes to chew on. I'm really looking forward to the ones on disc one. Hold Me Thrill Me is nice to have on an album as well. :up:

It's also cool more people will hear Your Blue Room on the B-sides disc! :love:

"official Track Listing For Best Of 1990-2000!!!"

Released today here is the first disc and I told you there would be ATYCLB tracks on it!!!

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Beautiful Day
4. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) (New song)
5. One
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Gone (New mix)
10. Until The End Of The World
11. The Hands That Built America (new song)
12. Discoth?que (New mix)
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
14. Staring At The Sun (New mix)
15. Numb (New mix)
16. The First Time
17. The Fly
:heart:

Back
Top Bottom