Merged ----> best of 90-00 official info + track listing + t/l for 2nd Best Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am a discolovingsugarpoppinheadphonehead

I don't get why people are getting upset about the track listing of an album that you have all the songs of anyway? :slant:
I also love how people jump on the PoP was rushed bandwagon.

I'm loving those B sides and can't wait to hear the remixed stuff because its something NEW. That Dirty Day mix is pure heaven and I'm happy to see u2 acknowledge it!

Hi!

Great news about the forthcoming releases...... :drool:

BUT I have a query :scratch: .....it concerns the DVD. According to U2.com's article, it says that "it will feature promo videos of tracks from the A-sides cd, complete with commentary by the directors, who include Wim Wenders, Kevin Godley, Stephane Sednaoui, Anton Corbijn and Jonas Akerlund." The question is, after looking through the A-sides cd, will there really be a video for "The First Time" as I saw that every other A-side track has had a video made to accompany the song. Any ideas on that?

Secondly, due to the fact that Im hard of hearing, is there anyone who can tell me if the new DVD will feature subtitles or not? I really am hoping that it will have subtitles cos I wasnt at all pleased to see that Boston Live has no subtitles at all so I dont want to see another U2 DVD release without subtitles....

Otherwise Im really looking forward to getting the CDs and hopefully the DVD too!

dougal

dougal55 said:
Hi!

Secondly, due to the fact that Im hard of hearing, is there anyone who can tell me if the new DVD will feature subtitles or not? I really am hoping that it will have subtitles cos I wasnt at all pleased to see that Boston Live has no subtitles at all so I dont want to see another U2 DVD release without subtitles....

dougal

I can't really know the answer... But I'd say probably not, actually I'm almost sure there won't be subtitles when it comes to the music videos. Now if there are parts of the DVD with narrating or the documentary thing then there is a big chance there will be subs. But lyrics on the clips, no I don't think so...

Re: Blatant admission of failure ...

jick said:
Ever wonder why only the POP songs were remixed? Because they needed some songs to represent the hapless POP album, and none was good enough. So they decided to remix them.

Actually, Numb also appears with a new which was a Zooropa track.

I think that the POP songs were re-remixed not because they were bad songs but because they were badly mixed, which is a fact recognised by many of us in this forum.

Maybe they don't sound THAT badly mixed when you hear the album POP because thay are all just as badly mixed, but if you put them in a CD next to greatly mixed songs, they will stand out. They just don't sound as clear and the sound is not as pure as other U2 CD's. Maybe POP production wa pushed by deadlines, maybe it was a wrong studio crew selection, maybe... But facts are facts...

Re: Blatant admission of failure ...

jick said:
Ever wonder why only the POP songs were remixed? Because they needed some songs to represent the hapless POP album, and none was good enough. So they decided to remix them.

Cheers,

J

You can remix Discotheque until the cows come home, it's still a bad song with dumb lyrics not worthy of Best of, or even the U2 name. If I were them, I'd rather not remind fans of it. I am surprised at the non-U2 album songs on there, and I'd have loved to have seen Walk On (an instant classic) and the awesome WGRYWH on there.

"Official" Tracklisting for the Second "Best Of"

To Moderators: If this was already posted and my old eyes just missed it, please merge (or remove) this thread. But keep my comments in the second post below. Thanks! :wave:

From Dotmusic.com:

Mon 2 Sep 2002 12:33
U2 UNLEASH GREATEST HITS

U2 have confirmed details of their forthcoming Greatest Hits package, dotmusic can report.

'U2: The Best Of 1990 2000' encompasses five albums - 'Achtung Baby', 'Zooropa', 'Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1', 'Pop' and 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' - and is released on November 4.

The album will feature two brand new tracks - 'Electrical Storm' and 'The Hands That Built America' and there will also be a limited edition second CD, entitled 'The Best Of The B-Sides'.

The best of is to be preceded by a single 'Electrical Storm', which is out on October 21 and features remixes and live medleys of tracks such as 'Bad', '40' and 'Where The Streets Have No Name' recorded on last year's 'Elevation' tour.

The tracklisting for 'U2: The Best Of 1990 2000' is as follows:

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Beautiful Day
4. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
5. One
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Gone (new mix)
10. Until The End Of The World
11. The Hands That Built America
12. Discoth?(new mix) (sic - this is how dotmusic.com spelled it)
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
14. Staring At The Sun (new mix)
15. Numb (new mix)
16. The First Time
17. The Fly

The tracklisting for the B-Sides album is as follows:

1. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
2. Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
3. Electrical Storm
4. Summer Rain
5. North & South Of The River
6. Your Blue Room
7. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
8. Salome (Zooromancer Mix)
9. Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
10. Numb (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix)
11. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)
12. If God Will Send His Angels - (Big Yam Mix)
13. Lemon (Jeep Mix)
14. Discoth?(Hexidecimal Mix)

Finally, U2 will issue a Best Of 1999 2000 DVD on December 2, featuring promo films, commentary, other tracks not included on the Greatest Hits album and rarities and live footage.

Last edited:
Well...

First, HelloAngel, I *did* send this info. to you via PM for your U2News forum - so no lip from you, young lady! :sexywink:

My comments....

The Bad:

If this is indeed "official" and Dotmusic.com isn't misleading us, I must say I am disappointed that songs from ATYCLB appear on this "Best Of." That said, it does appear that U2 limited the songs to only those that were released in 2000 on a CD single in Ireland, Australia and the U.K., like "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck in a Moment...". If you recall, "Stuck..." was the second official single in Ireland and the U.K. (whereas, "Walk On" was the second official single in Canada and the U.S.). As such, "Stuck..." was officially released in 2000. This suggests that if and when a third "Best Of" collection is released (let's assume 2001 to 2010), "Walk On" and "Elevation" will appear there. It's only right to make sure that these two Grammy-award winning songs find a second home on another "Best Of" collection. ;-)

Second, it really seems like the b-sides are really lacking. Yes, it's nice to have all of these remixes on one CD, and I admit that many of them were released as b-sides on U2's 90's single CDs. However, U2 also released quite a few new songs too, like "Holy Joe", "Alex Descends into Hell...", "Always", "I'm Not Your Baby", "Viva Davidoff", "Slow Dancing", "Where Did It All Go Wrong", "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad", and "Big Girls are Best" (and there are a few more). I enjoy remixes as much as anyone, but I'd much rather see some - if not all - of these songs in place of all the remixes (especially a-side remixes - like of "Discotheque") listed.

The Good:

To end on a more positive note, here's what I like about this collection, if indeed it is real.

I like the fact that U2 have revamped some songs. I know "J" (Jick) won't and he'll just use this info. to start another tirade about how bad "Pop" was. :tsk: But I like the fact that U2 have remixed some "Pop" songs - it gives me something to look forward to, instead of having the "same old/same old" songs that we just heard a few years ago.

I like the fact that U2 threw in a few curves here and there. "Gone", for example, was not a hit song - not even released as a single. The same is true for "Until the End of the World", which became a hit on the U.S. Modern Rock stations, but technically was never released as a single, and "The First Time" - one of Bono's most brilliantly written songs ever. It's nice to see some fan and band favorites mixed in this list, and not just the hit songs. Good move! :up:

While there are too many remixes on the b-sides collection, U2 do seem to have picked their favorite version of the songs they have chosen. I adore the "Junk Day remix" of "Dirty Day" (better than the "Zooropa" version, IMO) and the "Extended Version Mix" of "Lady with the Spinning Head" is the only way to go. :yes: Plus, I like the fact we'll get to hear two versions of "Electrical Storm" - which is always good. :D

Lastly, this article mentions a DVD release that will have even MORE goodies! Yay!! :cute: :heart: :yes: :drool: Perhaps some of the b-side songs I discussed above will appear on this release.

Overall:

Until this is 100% confirmed, and we learn the track-listing of the DVD, I can't make any "official" judgment on the collection. However, given that this is a reliable source, I think this is pretty much the real thing. Therefore, my overall assessment is that while the remix list is a bit high, there does appear to be a good mix of songs in this list. Some of the b-sides, like "Lemon", were actual hit songs in other countries ("Lemon" was #1 in Australia). I think U2 did a much better job of mixing up this collection than they did the first "Best Of" collection.

I am anxious to hear some of these new mixes and can't wait for the DVD with extra footage. Still, I think if U2 had left off any ATYCLB material, they would have had more room for some of their 90's work (that I listed above).

Last edited:
A few months when I made up my own prediction list I choose UTEOTW and Gone over WGRYWH and IGWSHA so I?m pleased that this appears to be the case for the real thing. UTEOTW has become a great live staple on the last 3 tours. I enjoyed both versions of Gone on the last 2 tours. Maybe the new mix of Gone will incorporate some of the elements of the Elevation Tour version i.e. more Edge vocals and more of a guitar solo at the end.

I feel ATYCLB should have been left for THE BEST OF 2000 ? 2010 (as well as any material from MDH Soundtrack). It is still too fresh and the music does not have much of a similarity to the 90s music. I can understand the theory that they may feel that they need these 2 hits to help sell it. However ? I believe the timing of its release and the potential hits of Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America could be enough to do the job. U2 is riding quite a big wave of positive vibes ? the success of both the album and the tour ? the supportive reviews from the critics for both ? the Grammies ? the Super Bowl ? etc.

The new mixes might get some radio airplay and this could also help its success. The one I am most looking forward too is STATS. I remember reading once that Larry felt a ?finished? version of it could have made it as big as One and WOWY. Does somebody remember in what interview Larry said that ?

I predicted the inclusion of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. A great rock song and a big hit for them. A highlight of the PopMart Tour too. I picked Miss Sarajevo. A beautiful song and I believe a top ten hit in the UK. A total surprise is The First Time. No problems with the song but I thought a Zooropa (Radio Edit) or Dirty Day (a new mix that encompasses aspects of the live version from the Sydney video) or DGPFYCC would made have it before The First Time.

I believe there are 2 glaring omissions ? Lemon and Please. I think Lemon was a number 1 hit on the dance charts. I see it frequently used for fashion shows and when the morning shows and talk shows do their fashion segments. I feel the emotion of Please on the PopMart Tour made it the ?Bad? of the 90s. To shake things up a bit I would have included Lemon (The Perfecto Mix) and a live version of Please ? Rotterdam or Mexico ? (I would have preferred a live version of Bad on The Best Of The 80s)

Streets from the Boston DVD was already released on the Walk On single. I would have preferred The Fly from the Boston DVD instead.

The B-Sides Bonus Disc is made up mostly of remixes. Instead I think a better idea would be do something like make 2 Bonus Discs of Remixes and attach them to the initial limited editions of the Sydney and Mexico DVDs when they are released over the next couple of years.

They have plenty of excellent material without using any remixes :

1. Pop Muzik (a 5 minute version of the PopMart Mix)
2. Holy Joe
3. Salome
4. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Version)
5. I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
6. Slug
7. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
8. Slow Dancing
9. North And South Of The River
10. Your Blue Room
11. Where Did It All Go Wrong
12. Night And Day
13. Paint It Black
14. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
15. Satellite Of Love

I?m surprised to see The Fly as the last song. Also I?m surprised that they would have 4 fairly slow songs in a row - One - Miss Sarajevo - Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of. My track list would be :

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
4. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
5. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) (New song)
6. One
7. Zooropa (Radio Edit)
8. Discoth?que (New mix)
9. Lemon (The Perfecto Mix)
10. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
11. Until The End Of The World
12. Numb (New mix)
13. Staring At The Sun (New mix)
14. Gone (New mix)
15. The Hands That Built America (new song)
16. Please (a live version)
17. Miss Sarajevo

Forgot 2 songs from the B-Sides Bonus Disc.

1. Pop Muzik (a 5 minute version of the PopMart Mix)
2. Holy Joe
3. Salome
4. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Version)
5. I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
6. Slug
7. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
8. Slow Dancing
9. Electrical Storm (version ?)
10. North And South Of The River
11. Your Blue Room
12. Where Did It All Go Wrong
13. Alex Descends Into Hell???
14. Night And Day
15. Paint It Black
16. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
17. Satellite Of Love

Well with the power of internet we all can make our own Best Of's, so I am not too excited or shocked with the track listing.

What I am really excited about is that I'd be buying this CD for 2 brand new tunes and 5 new tunes.But I just can't wait for the DVD.

I think its an odd release and fits the 90's mood when U2 was a bit of an odd thing, with what was going on around them.When the grunge was on its peak they were talking about the Satellites and TV's.When brit pop was coming up they were smoking cigars in golf caps with Pavarotti.When Spice Girls were taking over the world, they were talking about pop culture and irony.Seems like this best of is also a bit odd.ATYCLB and POP- It doesnt get more odd-er than this.

The First Time? :rant:

No WGRYWH? :scratch:

No Lemon? :coocoo: (ok but its on the b-side disc!)

And Electrical Storm is released on Oct 21st? that still 2 months away! :rant: :censored: :banghead:

But overall not too bad! Shame U2.com didn't do a fan poll and used the top ten most popular then the other 6-7 tracks were filled up with what they felt wanted to be on there. Ah, who gives a :censored: it all looks cool to me! lol (apart from wot I mentioned above!)

I love the tracklist. :up: It doesn't totally reflect the songs I would have picked, but that's okay. It's an interesting collection of their 90's work. It will be a very interesting listen.

You guys act like you don't own all the U2 albums. You want to listen to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? Put in your fucking Achtung Baby album.

madonna's child said:
You want to listen to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? Put in your fu**ing Achtung Baby album.

It's just not the same......

madonna's child said:
I love the tracklist. :up: It doesn't totally reflect the songs I would have picked,

You guys act like you don't own all the U2 albums. You want to listen to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? Put in your fucking Achtung Baby album.

You want to listen to your own tracklist? Burn your own fucking best off! :lol: :lol: :wave:

I made up my own Best of 1990-2000 back in June to see if the two would be similar. Here's what I had:

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Mysterious Ways
Mofo
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Discoth?que
Until The End Of The World
Lemon
The Fly
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Staring At The Sun
One
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
If God Will Send His Angels
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Dirty Day
Love Is Blindness

Needless to say I believe ATYCLB should have been left off. This CD hasn't come out of my stereo since I made it, and most likely will stay there until Nov. 4! :D

That's not my dream song list either. but we have to leave it up to the band to decide what to put on this album and how they want their songs to be remembered. They are the best judges of that, and I trust them. Consider that they are not aiming this at diehards, but the casual fan who might not buy al lthe other albums.

DaveC said:
Needless to say I believe ATYCLB should have been left off. This CD hasn't come out of my stereo since I made it, and most likely will stay there until Nov. 4! :D
:yes: especially if the exclusion of walk on and elevation is so they can be included on 00-10, then i think they should've just chose one way or the other: atyclb should be on one greatest hits, not both.

that's why i love my ipod. i can make my own playlists and stuff and upload it onto that. with 20gb, i certainly have the room. :wink:

This report from even U2.com may only be the ?demo? version just like the BBC version of Electrical Storm last Sunday. The final track listing may turn out a bit different. U2 might be ?testing the waters.?

At U2.com they say that Numb ? Discotheque ? STATS ? and Gone ?have been substantially reworked? by Mike Hedges. So ? it looks like more of new and different songs rather than just a tweaking and polishing them. How does everyone rate the version of Discotheque from the Elevation Tour ? I was impressed with it.

I never would have expected them to give a remix treatment to Dirty Day and I enjoyed the 2 on the Please single. The same thing goes for not expecting them to remix New York. I?m looking forward to hearing how they turn out.

I wonder if William Orbit and Mike Hedges are the 2 producers for the new album. What do people think of their previous production work ?

?A bonus DVD with extensive content including the History Mix of U2 in the 90s.? The word ?including? appears to indicate that there are other goodies on it ! And I love those montage video type of things like the one at the beginning of Interference AB Video - the one that was done for the 2001 Brit Awards Lifetime Achievement Award ? and the one done for the MTV Lifetime Achievement Award.

The DVD of Videos looks cool with extra videos ? commentaries ? alternate versions and early cuts ? and The Road To Sarajevo documentary. Looking forward to the Miss Sarajevo video. I hear its quite emotional and powerful. It will be wonderful to see the beautiful Stay video again. And we have 1 hour CBS Slane Concert Special in November and hopefully a Slane DVD too !

Regarding the remixes on Disc 2 :

Discoth?que (Hexidecimal Mix) ? this is my favourite Discotheque remix
Numb (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix) ? off Melon ? sounds nothing like Numb - excellent
Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix) - excellent
Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix) - excellent
Salome (Zooromancer Mix) ? need to refresh my memory with this one
If God Will Send His Angels - (Big Yam Mix) - need to refresh my memory with this one
Lemon (Jeep Mix) ? I don?t think I?ve heard this one.

Other favourite Remixes from the 90s :

Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
Night And Day (Steel String Mix)
Mysterious Ways (Perfecto Mix)
LNOE (First Night In Hell Mix) - a instrumental mix - nothing in common with it ? a heavy hard techno song
Discotheque (Howie B Hairy B Mix) ? something different - a Hip Hop Techno song !
Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
I would probably pick 1 from the Trance and Sexy Mixes of EBTTRT and 1 from the Apollo 440 Stealth Sonic ? V16 Exit Wound ? Apollo 440 VS. U2 Instrumental Mixes on my Best Of U2 Remixes CD-R
Bottoms
Theme From Let?s Go Native

Do people have a favourite remix of Mission Impossible and Mofo ?

I believe that The First Time would complement October as a hidden bonus track at the end of Disc 1. Both with their stripped down sound and both featuring the piano. The bold and triumphant faith of the 80s versus a questioning and wandering faith of the 90s.

? And Kingdoms rise
And Kingdoms fall
But You go on?.
and on???

? My father is a rich man
He wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming
Gave me a cup of gold
He said I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key
And I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key ?

Personally, I think this is a great fucking tracklist. The inclusion of The First Time, Gone, and UTEOTW pleases me to no end. And I'm really looking forward to hearing the new remixes. The only thing that 'bothers' me about this list is the exclusion of Please, but my overall excitement about this, the b-sides, the singles, and the best of DVD far outweighs any misgivings about the tracklist itself.

YAAAAAY FOR NEW U2!!! :happy:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Extreme dissapointment for both discs in my opinion. NO LEMON! No Walk On, No WGRYWH, No Elevation, No Please!!!!!! But Numb and The First Time and Miss Sarajevo????? That is absurd. Yes, maybe Elevation and Walk on will be on the next one because of release dates or whatever, but this is still a dissapointment.

I'm sure the remixed Pop tunes will be cool in their own right, but damn they were great to begin with. I am glad that Gone and UTEOTW are in there. But truly sad that Lemon and Please are not on there as they have some of the greatest lyrics of any song U2 has ever written. And just plain dissapointed that they would include any ATYCLB singles on there.

In fact now that i think about it, that's the key! Lemon and Please instead of Beautiful Day and Stuck, and the tracklisting would be very solid.

looks wonderful to me...(i'm such a kiss-up)

any complaints...just burn your own (don't have that capability yet)

my favorite inclusion...Your Blue Room and The First Time (the Fly as a hidden track, most likely, sounds brilliant)

over the past week, i've been listening to Passengers almost exclusively (and Electrical Storm on the pc) in order to prepare for the release of new peter gabriel...very excited to see Miss Sarajevo

i'm going to have to save alot of laundry change for all these new goodies...

Last edited:
Not bad.

But I would give anything to put Please and Ultraviolet on there (although I never expected UV to be on there).

The First Time and Numb are terrible songs, definitely not U2's "Best of". Zooropa or Dirty Day and If God Would Send would have been way better.

Overall, could have been worse. Guess they can't please everyone!

As much as I bitch and whine about Numb and Stuck being on, and Lemon being left off, I still think this tracklist kicks ass. I love the inclusion of The First Time (I love the song!). I'm also pleased by all the remixes. I've wanted to hear almost all of those, but can never find them anywhere! As well, the new mixes of the POP/Numb songs should be good (hopefully they liven Numb up a bit).

IMO, the benefits far outweigh the bad parts (although the exclusion of some top-notch songs is pretty big). I'll be first in line on Nov. 4 to buy it! Let's hope I have a free period first thing in the morning that day so I don't have to skip class to go get it (I will skip if I have to though :D)

I'm surprised people aren't talking about the DVD as much as they are talking about the Best Of CD track listing. Seeing that MTV only plays videos for, oh, about 30 minutes a day, I must confess that I haven't seen any of the Pop videos in their entirety. I am very excited about the DVD.

I agree with Ishkash (I think that's who said it) that the CD tracks are unusual, to say the least. Think of how disappointed everyone would be if it were just the singles. I'm looking forward to the new versions of the remixed songs, and the B-sides album sounds like a winner for road trips. All in all, good news from the U2 camp in my book.

I too am surprised that so many people complain. Like someone said, most of us have every song anyway. Besides we get four or five newly mixed songs (so these are kinda new) and two complete new songs whereas the Best Of 1980-1990 only had one (kinda) new song.

I'm pleased as punch :happy:

Back
Top Bottom