Merged ----> best of 90-00 official info + track listing + t/l for 2nd Best Of - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2002, 08:48 AM   #81
War Child

Local Time: 03:12 AM
This report from even U2.com may only be the “demo” version just like the BBC version of Electrical Storm last Sunday. The final track listing may turn out a bit different. U2 might be “testing the waters.”

At U2.com they say that Numb – Discotheque – STATS – and Gone “have been substantially reworked” by Mike Hedges. So – it looks like more of new and different songs rather than just a tweaking and polishing them. How does everyone rate the version of Discotheque from the Elevation Tour ? I was impressed with it.

I never would have expected them to give a remix treatment to Dirty Day and I enjoyed the 2 on the Please single. The same thing goes for not expecting them to remix New York. I’m looking forward to hearing how they turn out.

I wonder if William Orbit and Mike Hedges are the 2 producers for the new album. What do people think of their previous production work ?

“A bonus DVD with extensive content including the History Mix of U2 in the 90s.” The word “including” appears to indicate that there are other goodies on it ! And I love those montage video type of things like the one at the beginning of Interference AB Video - the one that was done for the 2001 Brit Awards Lifetime Achievement Award – and the one done for the MTV Lifetime Achievement Award.

The DVD of Videos looks cool with extra videos – commentaries – alternate versions and early cuts – and The Road To Sarajevo documentary. Looking forward to the Miss Sarajevo video. I hear its quite emotional and powerful. It will be wonderful to see the beautiful Stay video again. And we have 1 hour CBS Slane Concert Special in November and hopefully a Slane DVD too !

Regarding the remixes on Disc 2 :

Discothèque (Hexidecimal Mix) – this is my favourite Discotheque remix
Numb (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix) – off Melon – sounds nothing like Numb - excellent
Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix) - excellent
Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix) - excellent
Salome (Zooromancer Mix) – need to refresh my memory with this one
If God Will Send His Angels - (Big Yam Mix) - need to refresh my memory with this one
Lemon (Jeep Mix) – I don’t think I’ve heard this one.

Other favourite Remixes from the 90s :

Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
Night And Day (Steel String Mix)
Mysterious Ways (Perfecto Mix)
LNOE (First Night In Hell Mix) - a instrumental mix - nothing in common with it – a heavy hard techno song
Discotheque (Howie B Hairy B Mix) – something different - a Hip Hop Techno song !
Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
I would probably pick 1 from the Trance and Sexy Mixes of EBTTRT and 1 from the Apollo 440 Stealth Sonic – V16 Exit Wound – Apollo 440 VS. U2 Instrumental Mixes on my Best Of U2 Remixes CD-R
Bottoms
Theme From Let’s Go Native

Do people have a favourite remix of Mission Impossible and Mofo ?

I believe that The First Time would complement October as a hidden bonus track at the end of Disc 1. Both with their stripped down sound and both featuring the piano. The bold and triumphant faith of the 80s versus a questioning and wandering faith of the 90s.

“ And Kingdoms rise
And Kingdoms fall
But You go on….
and on……”

“ My father is a rich man
He wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming
Gave me a cup of gold
He said I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key
And I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key “

Old 09-03-2002, 09:33 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Personally, I think this is a great fucking tracklist. The inclusion of The First Time, Gone, and UTEOTW pleases me to no end. And I'm really looking forward to hearing the new remixes. The only thing that 'bothers' me about this list is the exclusion of Please, but my overall excitement about this, the b-sides, the singles, and the best of DVD far outweighs any misgivings about the tracklist itself.

YAAAAAY FOR NEW U2!!!

Old 09-03-2002, 10:34 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Extreme dissapointment for both discs in my opinion. NO LEMON! No Walk On, No WGRYWH, No Elevation, No Please!!!!!! But Numb and The First Time and Miss Sarajevo????? That is absurd. Yes, maybe Elevation and Walk on will be on the next one because of release dates or whatever, but this is still a dissapointment.

I'm sure the remixed Pop tunes will be cool in their own right, but damn they were great to begin with. I am glad that Gone and UTEOTW are in there. But truly sad that Lemon and Please are not on there as they have some of the greatest lyrics of any song U2 has ever written. And just plain dissapointed that they would include any ATYCLB singles on there.

In fact now that i think about it, that's the key! Lemon and Please instead of Beautiful Day and Stuck, and the tracklisting would be very solid.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:36 AM   #84
War Child

looks wonderful to me...(i'm such a kiss-up)

any complaints...just burn your own (don't have that capability yet)

my favorite inclusion...Your Blue Room and The First Time (the Fly as a hidden track, most likely, sounds brilliant)

over the past week, i've been listening to Passengers almost exclusively (and Electrical Storm on the pc) in order to prepare for the release of new peter gabriel...very excited to see Miss Sarajevo

i'm going to have to save alot of laundry change for all these new goodies...
Old 09-03-2002, 11:49 AM   #85
The Fly

Not bad.

But I would give anything to put Please and Ultraviolet on there (although I never expected UV to be on there).

The First Time and Numb are terrible songs, definitely not U2's "Best of". Zooropa or Dirty Day and If God Would Send would have been way better.

Overall, could have been worse. Guess they can't please everyone!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:12 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 AM
As much as I bitch and whine about Numb and Stuck being on, and Lemon being left off, I still think this tracklist kicks ass. I love the inclusion of The First Time (I love the song!). I'm also pleased by all the remixes. I've wanted to hear almost all of those, but can never find them anywhere! As well, the new mixes of the POP/Numb songs should be good (hopefully they liven Numb up a bit).

IMO, the benefits far outweigh the bad parts (although the exclusion of some top-notch songs is pretty big). I'll be first in line on Nov. 4 to buy it! Let's hope I have a free period first thing in the morning that day so I don't have to skip class to go get it (I will skip if I have to though )
Old 09-03-2002, 12:52 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Why all the complaints over 'Miss Sarajevo'? It was only the last true "classic" U2 wrote (not including 'Walk On').
Old 09-03-2002, 02:36 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
I'm surprised people aren't talking about the DVD as much as they are talking about the Best Of CD track listing. Seeing that MTV only plays videos for, oh, about 30 minutes a day, I must confess that I haven't seen any of the Pop videos in their entirety. I am very excited about the DVD.

I agree with Ishkash (I think that's who said it) that the CD tracks are unusual, to say the least. Think of how disappointed everyone would be if it were just the singles. I'm looking forward to the new versions of the remixed songs, and the B-sides album sounds like a winner for road trips. All in all, good news from the U2 camp in my book.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:13 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:12 AM

I too am surprised that so many people complain. Like someone said, most of us have every song anyway. Besides we get four or five newly mixed songs (so these are kinda new) and two complete new songs whereas the Best Of 1980-1990 only had one (kinda) new song.

I'm pleased as punch