MERGED ----> Best band in the world--if not U2--then who? + best band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What the hell happened to my post? I bet i've put it in some random thread by mistake :reject:

anyway, for best band of all time, U2 scrape home ahead of Pink Floyd, with The Verve in 3rd.

U2 is still the best band in the world today, if you put their whole career in perpsective. Metallica, dave matthews band, coldplay, radiohead, rem, pearl jam, oasis, green day, red hot chilli pepper, -if you take each of thier best years with its associated publicity they could easily beat 2004 U2. Career wise as a band none of them can approach U2.
In the US, DMB and Metallica would easily beat U2 in a vote for best band, but they have nowhere near the international impact.

If not U2, then Beatles.
If not Beatles, then Pink Floyd.
If not Pink Floyd, none.

One of those three IMO, but of course I'll always prefer U2.

Uhm, 5 people or somethign have mention the Stones, and I'm the only one who has mentioned Beatles. What's going on?:huh:

I like seeing other people who think U2 is the BEST, because they just are. I am the only big U2 fan in my entire dorm. Its kinda suprising to me. Today's radio and culture is so twisted to think that horrible punk and rap artists are the best.... it is so wrong. Anybody able to explain that? And how can some of you compare the strokes, white stipes, and nickelback to U2??? I understand thats your opinion, and they are pretty good bands, but U2 completely blows them out of the water, not even close....musically and historically.

Ok, just cause I feel like it I'll rank by decade---

'60's '70's
1. Beatles Clash
2. Velvet Underground Black Sabbath
3. Hendrix Rolling Stones
4. Rolling Stones Led Zeppelin
5. Kinks Pink Floyd
'80's '90's '00's
1. U2 U2 U2
2. Springsteen Nirvana Strokes
3. Smiths Radiohead Interpol
4. REM Soundgarden Radiohead
5. Replacements My Bloody Valentine Springsteen

Well U2 wins 3 decades. Guess I'm a biased MF'er. The 90's was the hardest to give them.

sami0201 said:
obviously U2 is the best band in the world and they top my list by a million miles but if there was no U2, personally I think the best band is Aerosmith, no question. Didn't love their latest album but they are classics.

sami....dont know whether you would believe me or not, but i live in the coop my parents own and steven tyler grew up in it...i met him at my house one day for an hour and a half. He actually came just to see his childhood apartment about 7 years ago. he signed 2 of my guitars and a big thing on my wall....if i have time ill take a pic of my wall. Im on their VIP list and seen them a bunch of tiems for free with backstage passes...:)

Id say Nirvana and U2 are the 2 greatest bands to come out in the last 20-25 years...

"U2 is like Jesus if he were 4 people, including a hot man in leather pants." - me best mate Alec

That about sums it up, doesn't it?

Okay, really, if U2 never existed - well for starters, no one can say Coldplay. Do you honestly think Coldplay would actually BE AROUND if not for U2? A lot of bands wouldn't be around actually... though frankly I could never consider a band with only two albums the "best band in the world" regardless. It'd have to be a band that's been around for awhile and proven themselves time and time again - the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam (though it's questionable whether or not they'd be around without U2... Vedder used to be a complete Bonophyte), REM, ect... I'd almost say Tool (because I love Tool so damn much) but the fact is they're not commercial enough. It's hard for an "alternative" band to be considered the best, honestly... part of what you have to take into consideration is ubiquity. Someone brought up earlier in this thread the fact that U2 is being played on practically every radio station - classic rock, alternative rock, pop, adult contemporary, college stations... bands like RHCP enjoy this privelage as well (moreso than U2 where I live...I'm not hearing Vertigo on my alt.rock station. It's pissing me off. I'm sick of shit like Three Days Grace and Smile Empty Soul).

My friend JP considers AC/DC the best band ever, though he is a U2 fan (how the hell you can put AC/DC over U2 is beyond me...). Alec says Wilco, after U2 of course. I'm not actually sure if a lot of my other friends could honestly answer a question about who is the best band in the world because a lot of them just listen to the radio or don't listen to rock music at all... for example my friend Eby's favourite artist is Hikaru Utada, a Japanese pop singer (who, surprisingly enough, listed U2 as one of her all-time favourite bands on her website...they're everywhere! you can't get away from them!). My friend Kerry would probably say something like Sum-41... nice little punk band but nowhere near U2...at least it's actually rock music, most people in my school listen to rap (my friend Cody for example, he has very good taste in music, he loves The Beatles, but his favourite "band" is Outkast. I love Outkast, but can they even begin to compare to U2? No). If you say "what's your favourite band?" most kids will look at you funny and say in a retarded ghetto-wannabe voice "DEE-AY, BEE-AY, EN-DEE!" :rolleyes:

Thank God we don't live in a U2less world...because the fact is nothing around today can compare. I'm loving some of these new bands (Interpol, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand) but they have a long way to go... I don't think there will ever be another U2, nor will there ever be another Beatles...the music industry is continuously changing. I'd agree with whoever said rappers are the new rock stars... but rock lives on in bands like U2. It worries me that Bono's vision of The Fly as the last rock star may be a bit too close to the truth...

unfortunatly a lot of you are missing the point... it's not the best band of all time... it's the best band in the world. so in order to be in the running, the band has to be officialy still together... thus the stones and the who count, yet zepplin, the beatles, nirvana, etc. don't count... they ain't together and/or performing. thus then... stop naming them.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
unfortunatly a lot of you are missing the point... it's not the best band of all time... it's the best band in the world. so in order to be in the running, the band has to be officialy still together... thus the stones and the who count, yet zepplin, the beatles, nirvana, etc. don't count... they ain't together and/or performing. thus then... stop naming them.

i agree with you...all i said was that u2 and nirvana were the 2 best bands to come out in the last 25 years...not the best of all time...:)

I like this thread, I have been wondering the same thing myself. Most people seem to hold a high opinion of Radiohead but I didn't like the few songs of theirs I have listened to. Is there a Radiohead equivalent to Joshua Tree that I should listen to first?

shaun vox said:
but seriously u2 cant even touch LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u2 are good (were great)

ps radiohead suck!!!!!

i'm curious as to why you like u2 at all? they really don't appear to be like any other band that you rant and rave about....

szuchy said:
I like this thread, I have been wondering the same thing myself. Most people seem to hold a high opinion of Radiohead but I didn't like the few songs of theirs I have listened to. Is there a Radiohead equivalent to Joshua Tree that I should listen to first?

ok computer and kid a are their best albums.

Best Band?...you mean, like, EVER?

I call a draw between:

U2 - Beatles - Led Zeppelin

All are/were innovators and dominators. These three bands are the reason 99% of all the other bands out there are making music (and I use the term "music" lightly).

After those three:

Pink Floyd - REM - Radiohead - Beck

After that, I'll make a list a mile long...LOL
:wink:

I forgot to say who I think is the best band in the world right now. That would obviously have to be Hilary Duff. Even though she only has two albums to her name, they are unparalleled by any other band today in terms of both lyrical and melodic brilliance. They will clearly be remembered as some of the few classics of the 2000's. A couple more like this, and she will certainly be in the running for best band ever.

Last edited:
szuchy said:
I forgot to say who I think is the best band in the world right now. That would obviously have to be Hilary Duff. Even though she only has one album to her name, it is unparalleled by any other band today in terms of both lyrical and melodic brilliance. It will clearly be remembered as one of the few classics of the 2000's. A few more like this, and she will certainly be in the running for best band ever.

i couldn't agree more. :up:

:confused: You mean best band now or best band ever? If it's best band now, I still say U2.

If it's ever - I say Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd are the top 3. IMO in terms of sheer influence and their impact on music.

A lot of people would probably take the Beatles as the best band ever (they were certainly influential, had a huge impact on society). U2 has had a big impact as well...but from a purely musical point of view, no group of musicians has consistently put out good music like King Crimson (ever heard of 'em?). They have never taken a bad step. Every King Crimson album is great, and I might say each one's better than the last. They are so awesome it's mindblowing. I love U2, but Crimso is consistently better.

oh yeah about Radiohead: OK Computer is wrongfully praised- it's OK...but Kid A is great, and Amnesiac is better in my opinion (it's close though). and Hail to the Thief was actually quite good.

I can't believe I said that about Hilary Duff. She is just a misguided, fame-hungry teenager who wouldn't know the first thing about making good music. Obviously I had not had much sleep at the time of writing.

What I meant to say was Clay Aiken.

Last edited:
Best non-U2 bands today....Radiohead are brilliant, Coldplay is very very very good, The Killers have a lot of potential, Sigur Ros is very very very good, Tori Amos isn't a band but she's brilliant.

All-time, Beatles were the most influential, but I can't decide between them and U2 in terms of just music. So they're tired, then come Zeppelin, Floyd, Doors, Queen, and if Metallica had just stopped in 1991 instead of selling their souls and bastadizing their quote unquote music, they'd be there but, they didn't, so they're not.

Bands between being 'current' and 'classic', RHCP and REM.

TOP Musical performers ALL TIME--

1. The Beatles
2. U2
3. Bob Dylan
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Grateful Dead

Top performers TODAY--

1. U2
2. Coldplay / Radiohead
3. Wilco

Up and Coming

Guster (give the gift of guster), The Strokes, Wilco (again), Coldplay (again), White Stripes

best band

I think U2 is best overall. The Beatles, while considered the best, don't do it for me (although they did knock out some of the most solid melodies and were a great songwriting team - Paul & John) overall. They didn't stick together as long as U2 have (that's big for me...the loyalty and perserverance of U2) and although they did go through "experimental" phases, it was more drug-based than artisticly-inspired like U2. Plus, I don't think you can say there was a particular "Beatles sound" like you can say about Edge's atmospheres. They had the melody, for sure, but U2 pump out the atmospheres like madmen, and you always know it's U2. I don't see U2 stopping (4 friends, still going strong) in the near future. They're hands-down the best. They have the spiritual-yearning that's missing in so many bands.....

sk

Back
Top Bottom