MERGED --> Anyone else think U2 fans are... + Deal with it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The_acrobat said:
U2 are huge. Remember stories of fans in the 80s waiting in the lines for an entire day, just to be turned away cause the shows sold out? This is the equivilent to that.

I was also thinking about this last night and today. I need to look up some of those stories. Some were classic (like, 1,000 people queing up for an ticket outlet only to realise that outlet only had 60 or so tickets). The ZooTV period also had some great ones (what was it? 250,000+ calls in New England for 40,000 seats? I really need to look up those stories to get the numbers right).

And with a member section that has grown to about 100,000 in 2 months it indicates that U2 is still huge (in contrast, Interference still has less than 30,000 members after 4 years)

C ya!

Marty

The_acrobat said:
Remember stories of fans in the 80s waiting in the lines for an entire day, just to be turned away cause the shows sold out? This is the equivilent to that.

i slept on a sidewalk more than once back in the 80's to see U2. it was good times, and personally, i'd much rather go back to that than deal with all of this internet purchase bullshit. it's become nothing but a frantic, stress-filled scramble to see a band i've loved for twenty years.

it's supposed to be fun.

ahmedadam said:
Who the f wants to sit at a U" show/

After everything that's happened I'm just glad to actually GET seats, and decent ones at that. I don't wish to be brought down by that sort of whining, whinging and pessimism.:no:

Yeah, because I'm REALLY gonna just sit there the whole time while the entire stadium leaps up and down.

Back in 96 I saw Blur at Wembley. We had seats then.... no-one actually remained seated!

Last edited:
So I was finally look up some of these U2 ticket stories from the ZooTV and Joshua Tree periods. Both stories are from the U2Live book and show the historical view of what had happened these past few days (and the regular sale hasn't even started yet!)

First, The Joshua Tree Tour (hey! another original tour name :D, leg 2, Europe:
... Though most of these are at stadiums, the number of tickets available doesn't come close to meeting the demand.
As a result, ticket sales are beset by public disorder in virtually every country. If tickets go on sale on Saturday, people start queueing on Thursday. When box offices open, it is usually so crowded that people become rowdy, leading to scenes where police have to conduct military-like operations to control crowds. In Holland, all 92,000 available tickets sell out in one hour, with streets so jammed that dozens of people are pushed through shop windows. In Glasgow, some 12,000 people queue at the primary sales outlet for the Edinburgh show, but when it becomes known that there are only 2,500 tickets available, fights erupt. The police use tear gas to break up the crowd, then see their bus turned over and set on fire. More than 250 are arrested.

With the ZooTV tour, demand to see U2 did not decline...
Over a million orders have come in for the 59,165 available tickets for the four New England shows. Ticket touts were quick to take advantage.

So it isn't just now that there have been ticket troubles. Sadly, this won't help anything about the current situation. I guess we all should have picked a less popular band... :sigh:

C ya!

Marty

firstlove said:
I agree with martha, no one's gonna die. and how, just how can four (4!) guys have COMPLETE control of everything in their company/enterprise?? its impossible.

some people just dont have the maturity to realize that you cant get EVERYTHING you want.

Does Bush have complete control of everything America? Well no, but he takes command responsibility. While I don't agree with his Iraq war, I greatly admire and respect his guts to stand y his conviction. He is firm on his belief. Same thing for how the troops treated the Iraqi prisoners (which isn't too far from how U2 are treating their fans now), Bush wasn't behind it but he took responsibility for it and has done things to try to rectify it.

It would tarnish U2's already free-falling image if they put the blame on their advisers, web managers, and everyone else but them. U2 should be man enough to take the heat and accept their mistakes.

Cheers,

J

Re: Anyone else think U2 fans are...

U2LA said:
whiny demanding brats?? I do.
Stop bitching about things you have no control over. This is not your fault, it is not U2's fault. It is just life in a world where U2 is the most popular band with a huge fan base that insists on playing tiny arenas.

I think it is LAME and so FAIR-WEATHERED fan to blame U2 for this. They didnt MAKE you buy the U2.com membership.

I for one am sick of the U2 backlash and wanted to say something about it.

And no, I don't have tickets and don't expect to end up with any unless a fan ends up with an extra one and sells me one at face value.

Oh well. I am an adult. I will deal with it. This is a reality of U2 fanhood in the new millenium. We can't ALL see them when they choose to play arenas.

Deal with it.

I think it is safe to say that many here are U2 fans (or former U2 fans). So your post clearly violates forum rules by calling us all "whiny brats." Name-calling and personaly attacks are prohibited here.

It is a wrong premise to say U2 did not make us buy membership. They mislead people so they would buy membership. Let me give you a situation: Ferrari advertises their latest car for $10 only. Sure they aren't forcing anyone to buy it but many surely will for that price. But when they get the car they realize that there is a $500,000 delivery charge. So that is what is called misleading. And U2 did that to their fans.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone else think U2 fans are...

MBH said:

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TOLERATE YOUR VULGARITIES. MOREOVER, YOU COME ACROSS AS A BLEEDING-HEART, BLINDLY-LOYAL U2 SUPPORTER AND UNINTELIGIBLE....

Excessive posting in all CAPS strikes me as pretty unintelligible. Did you lose your Shift key?

(And yes, how you post absolutely does matter.)

Popmartijn said:
I guess we all should have picked a less popular band... :sigh:

Less popular does not necessarily mean less good. You like very popluar bands, you have to deal with every tom, dick, and harry wanting tickets to see them. :shrug:

isabelle_guns said:
They have every right to whine about what happened.
i thought you just said that you were sick of fans' whining and could see this coming a mile away? which is it?

MBH said:
Who cares how I post, the point was made. Unfortunately, it appears that you missed it......
actually, it's considered internet etiquette to not post in all caps. it's the online version of yelling. is it acceptible for people to constantly yell (not just when they're angry, but in normal conversation)? no. sure, it's not against the law here, it's just something you shouldn't do.

Back
Top Bottom