MERGED ----> Am I the only Yahweh lover? + Yahweh = Africa - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Am I the only Yahweh lover?

downloaded the songs before I went out tonight, and its the one song on the album that is instantly catchy! couldn't get it out of my head down the pub! lol anyone else love it?

Old 11-06-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Yahweh is BLOODY AMAZING. It's an eloquent prayer of a rocker.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Refugee

No-one is really talking about it! What does it sound like? can you reference another song to give me an impression?

Answer me forum user "what a bomb!"
Old 11-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 05:48 PM
No, you're not! This is definitely one of my favorite U2 songs ever! I'm amazed that more people aren't talking about it too. An incredible song...
Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:48 PM
I quite enjoyed it. It made my hairs go all rigid.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:48 PM
i love it

for whatever odd reason, im reminded of do you feel loved meets one tree hill somehow.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
Refugee

I can't compare it to anything else right now! Its a great rocker with a very melodic vocal! done with a double vocal, one low and the other slightly higher!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
The Fly

Yahweh = Africa

Having heard the whole magnificence that is HTAAB, I am surprised not to see a few more mentions to Yahweh. Perhaps this album is just an embarrassment of riches, with something for everyone, that it is too much to digest in a day.

Crumbs is the obvious Africa reference, (and a great song!) but Yahweh is the one that was the surprise of the album for me. The lyrics just ripped me up. I was bawling from the start, and if you knew me that would surprise you. (I am a bit of a cynic these days) I knew Miracle Drug and a few others would do it for me. But something about this lyric shone a light on a nameless child. I could actually imagine this little person in a forgotten country, with nothing.

Mentions of shoes not fitting, polyester shirts, but most especially "Take this soul Stranded in some skin and bones" just hit me for six. A city SHOULD be shining on a hill, not a ghetto.

Maybe Africa has been on my mind lately. (When I say Africa I really mean poverty worldwide) I am about to get married and my life is so safe and blessed, that I can't help but feel like "what did I do to deserve this?"

My wife-to-be has helped me see life in a different way. She had a much harder childhood than I did, and will always see things from the point of view of the little person, maybe alone, maybe with little. We have sponsored a child in Zimbabwe, which has been one of the smallest yet most important things I have done. But I want to do more, I just don't know what quite yet.

Then along comes this album, from the only band that has ever made me feel real emotion. It has made me feel, and made me think. What a beautiful album. What a beautiful song.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
Refugee

thinks this is a gem thats gonna get overlooked!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #10
Refugee

don't the beginning remind you of In God's Country?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by what a bomb!
I can't compare it to anything else right now! Its a great rocker with a very melodic vocal! done with a double vocal, one low and the other slightly higher!

Sounds interesting! whats the guitar sound like? tempo?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #12
Refugee

what a bomb!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #13
The Fly

Thanks moderator!

(Guess what I saw as soon as I posted mine - nice to see others like this too)
Old 11-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Yahweh = Africa

Quote:
Originally posted by davexl
Crumbs is the obvious Africa reference, (and a great song!) but Yahweh is the one that was the surprise of the album for me. The lyrics just ripped me up. I was bawling from the start, and if you knew me that would surprise you. (I am a bit of a cynic these days) I knew Miracle Drug and a few others would do it for me. But something about this lyric shone a light on a nameless child. I could actually imagine this little person in a forgotten country, with nothing.

Maybe Africa has been on my mind lately. (When I say Africa I really mean poverty worldwide) I am about to get married and my life is so safe and blessed, that I can't help but feel like "what did I do to deserve this?"

Yes....Crumbs slapped me across the face. The part about where one is born should not determine whether you live or die. I've been saying that for so long in defense of Africa who is literally dying for 'crumbs of help' from a world that has essentially turned a blind eye.

Where I have been born has had nothing to do with me, I had no control over that....I am blessed for where I've been born. But being born where I have been does give me a responsiblity....a debt almost because I was the fortunate one...I need to be the change I wish to see in the world.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
The Fly

I'd compare it musically to a cross between "Falling at Your Feet" and "One Tree Hill." Lyrically, it's beautiful... I love it!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #16
Refugee

the only way I can describe the guitar is ...I can't decribe it! its classic chiming Edge guitar!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by what a bomb!
the only way I can describe the guitar is ...I can't decribe it! its classic chiming Edge guitar!
Surely you can do better! have at it!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #18
Refugee

its 2.36 in the morning here and I cannot think! lol ok what it reminds me off (guitar) is the chime from All I Want Is You,with a pinch of Heartland, a toss of In Gods Country it seems to hark back to Rattle and Hum era! lol
Old 11-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Best album closer since '40,' methinks. Don't get me wrong, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared, and All I want is You are great songs, and compliment the albums perfectly. 'Love is Blindness" was a change, and the uneasiness carried through "Wake up Dead Man." Again, each suited the album perfectly, disillusionment with love on Achtung Baby, etc. "Grace" was an attempt at understated joy. But this song is a song of acceptance, faith, and only slightly reserved joy. But I can't think of a U2 album ending on an upnote in...ever? Except maybe October. Anyway, this song is brilliant.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Best album closer since '40,' methinks. Don't get me wrong, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared, and All I want is You are great songs, and compliment the albums perfectly. 'Love is Blindness" was a change, and the uneasiness carried through "Wake up Dead Man." Again, each suited the album perfectly, disillusionment with love on Achtung Baby, etc. "Grace" was an attempt at understated joy. But this song is a song of acceptance, faith, and only slightly reserved joy. But I can't think of a U2 album ending on an upnote in...ever? Except maybe October. Anyway, this song is brilliant.