MERGED-->All U2 iTunes Digital Box set Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whackjester

Acrobat
U2 iTunes Digital Box set

KROQ in Los Angeles just had a fellow on talking about the new U2 iPod and also about the digital box set. He confirmed that they only way to get the 25 unreleased tracks will be to purchase the entire $149.00 box set. This is total crap for real U2 fans. I already have every single album from U2, as well as a bunch of rare stuff that I've paid quite a bit for. I'm not going to pay 150 bucks for 25 songs in a proprietary format!!! I would gladly pay up to 50 dollars for just the rare songs. I can now only hope that one of our nice forum members will be purchasing the box set and can rip the crap iTunes format into an .mp3 to share. Please comment here if you share my frustration! :mad: :sad:

I'm wondering how "unreleased" these tracks actually are - I hope they're something ungodly rare, but I have a hunch based on a few things I've heard and some speculation from others that it's going to be things that may not have been COMMERCIALLY released, but are still out there - example, I think "Hasta La Vista, Baby" is part of the Digital Box - can someone confirm that? That was club only, so it might be considered "unreleased" now that there's a commercial element involved..?

frozenmuze04 said:
I'm wondering how "unreleased" these tracks actually are - I hope they're something ungodly rare, but I have a hunch based on a few things I've heard and some speculation from others that it's going to be things that may not have been COMMERCIALLY released, but are still out there - example, I think "Hasta La Vista, Baby" is part of the Digital Box - can someone confirm that? That was club only, so it might be considered "unreleased" now that there's a commercial element involved..?

Bean asked the apple guy if these were entirely new songs never heard and he said "yes". Whether or not this is a marketing ploy, I do not know.

teebee said:
wait a week or two, they'll be all over the web for free.

That's probably the case, but I wouldn't mind paying for them. I do my share of downloading, but I do pay for things that I think are worth the money.

request : Complete U2 tracklist

on apple.com they say "all 15 albums", which are (I think) 11 U2 albums, 2EPs, Passengers, maybe Melon and Hasta La Vista (well, that's 16 :) )... +25rare tracks =equals= 400 tracks ???
wtf? i want to know what's there, I don't have damn 400 U2 studio tracks and I have also some singles!

well... if somebody will download it, then pls post the tracklist if possible :)

We could all split the cost, have someone download the box set and then make copies for everyone. :huh:

I did a rough count in my head of every officially released U2 sound recording on vinyl, cd or cassette that I know of (excluding live performances that are only contained on their long form home video releases) and came up with approximately 355 recordings, almost all of which I own as original releases (not cdr or on bootlegs). This includes album tracks, bsides, remixes, the fan club only recordings, compilation songs and oddities like the 30 second piece of music at the end of the original Boy LP pressings. Even if there are 25 unreleased U2 songs included, they are well short of the "over 400" they are quoting us. Maybe they will also give us the sound from their long form live videos like Slane, Rattle and Hum, Zoo TV Sydney, etc. as additional recordings in this collection?

This is bull because 1- we all know almost everyone on this board has every album already, in CD format. and 2- you're having to pay $150 for 400 tracks that are in 128 bitrate AAC format..... Not worth it. I have no problem with the AAC format, but when I have to re-purchase songs that I have on CD... They need to let you buy them individually. I'll gladly buy just the rarities and others for .99 cents.

Last edited:
If you are an Itunes user/ipod user...
then it might be a good deal.

I personally do not have all of the CDs ... I have had at one time or another tho.

Plus...with ACC or any other protected format ... if you burn them to CD and the rerip them... as mp3 or whatever you wish.

I agree that for most people "here" is it not a good deal.

however... for those new to u2 or who love itunes (which there are plenty)
Then each songs comes out to be around 38cetns a song.
Compared to the itunes standard of 99 cents that is a good deal.

I love U2 like everyone else in here... I just think that us DIE HARD FANS need to keep a fresh perspective. It was a marketing effort to get new listeners and to offer something in return for getting the U2ipod.

That is my 2 cents.

T

Techie2000 said:
I plan on downloading the box set tonight when it goes live (hopefully at midnight). I'll let you all know the details ASAP.

I'm going to check tonight to see if more info is posted. Really hate buying something if they won't even tell you what you're really buying:slant: But if I buy it and load it my U2 iPod, aren't I really paying for the *convenience* of not having to upload every single CD and single bside I have? I'm hoping it's a time-saver and time=money! (p.s. anyone know if million dollar hotel or U2 MDH tracks are included?) I'll update ASAP if I buy the sucker!

No idea, but as a recent fan, I own only 2 albums (BO 1990-2000 and ATYCLB) so economically buying the iTunes set seems cheaper than searching out all the other albums. If you already own the albums, then yeah it's probably just a conveince thing. Essentially not much different from buying a movie you already own in VHS in DVD.

I am sure people will havew the 25 songs and share them. It is annoying though. The black and red ipod is awfully sexy.

Like has been said, I can't see anything that's "properly" unlreleased stuff that hasn't made its way to most of our collections by now.

Besides, they've always said that they couldn't do a box set of unlreased stuff as they don't have that much of it lying around after an album and b-sides that isn't crap or is being kept for the next one.

The 25 unreleased tracks have grown to 40. I just looked on the Apple site and they have updated the description to the following:

With the purchase of an iPod U2 Special Edition, you’ll receive an iTunes Music Store coupon that you can use to save $50 when you purchase “The Complete U2,” a digital box set containing 445 songs, including their iTunes-exclusive latest album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb; all the group’s previous albums, more than 100 rare live cuts, remixes, covers, demos, and b-sides; and 40 previously-unreleased tracks. The boxset also packs a digital booklet (PDF) containing album art, track listings, and band commentary. Think of it as digital liner notes — and an iTunes Music Store first.

Please check back November 23rd to download the U2 digital box set from the iTunes Music Store.

I still have a discrepancy of about 50 songs, since I counted approximately 355 officially reelased sound recordings inclduing the new album and its bsides and remixes. Add the 40 unreleased tracks they are mentioning and that makes it around 395 by my count, whereas they say it features 445. This track listing is going to be very interesting to see.

Halup said:
The 25 unreleased tracks have grown to 40. I just looked on the Apple site and they have updated the description to the following:

With the purchase of an iPod U2 Special Edition, you’ll receive an iTunes Music Store coupon that you can use to save $50 when you purchase “The Complete U2,” a digital box set containing 445 songs, including their iTunes-exclusive latest album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb; all the group’s previous albums, more than 100 rare live cuts, remixes, covers, demos, and b-sides; and 40 previously-unreleased tracks. The boxset also packs a digital booklet (PDF) containing album art, track listings, and band commentary. Think of it as digital liner notes — and an iTunes Music Store first.

Please check back November 23rd to download the U2 digital box set from the iTunes Music Store.

I still have a discrepancy of about 50 songs, since I counted approximately 355 officially reelased sound recordings inclduing the new album and its bsides and remixes. Add the 40 unreleased tracks they are mentioning and that makes it around 395 by my count, whereas they say it features 445. This track listing is going to be very interesting to see.

ive been cautiously looking forward to this as much as the new album....

I don't know. I see and understand all of your points, but personally I can't wait to download this thing tomorrow.

I have or have had all the albums and a LOT of the unreleased and hard to find things over the years. But to be able to hear the older stuff (like "A Celebration" for example) with reasonably good sound quality, plus who knows what else really really appeals to me. If there's 50 of these selections from the "unreleased" or early eighties years, at $2 a pop (with the coupon), to me it's a good deal.

I understand it's not CD quality, but the iTunes files aren't bad as far as sound quality in their own right. Plus to have it all categorized like it will be, I'm really looking forward to having this.

I am debating on whether to buy it or not... Already have all of the albums in CD format, and many other's like hasta la vista in mp3.... and I'm a student, so $150 is quite a price for the 50 songs.... I just dunno :)

Apparently Edge & Bono, have re-recorded their entire back catalogue acoustically with Edge on banjo as per the Vertigo Temple Bar Mix on the HTDAAB DVD. These will fill up the missing tracks. Can't wait to hear The Fly in this format :drool:

How hilarious is that version of Vertigo? :D

reggiethedawg said:
Apparently Edge & Bono, have re-recorded their entire back catalogue acoustically with Edge on banjo as per the Vertigo Temple Bar Mix on the HTDAAB DVD. These will fill up the missing tracks. Can't wait to hear The Fly in this format :drool:

How hilarious is that version of Vertigo? :D
i can picture it: *bono dons a redneck accent* looooooooooooove, we shine like the headlights on my chevy pickup truck...tooooooonight...

I'm not getting too excited about this just yet.

U2 have gone on record stating that the "25 unreleased songs" were the combined songs of the 2 Propaganda releases: Melon & Hasta la Vista which are technically unreleased.

The "400 songs" includes all official U2 albums, all b-sides from the best-of albums, the "new" mixes & edits from the best-of albums, Passengers & Million Dollar Hotel.

I suspect the demos could be stuff like Always & Where Did It All Go Wrong which were released in demo form.

The live cuts will no doubt be UABRS, Hasta la Vista, R&H & the live b-sides from Sweetest Thing, NYD, Fire, WAIA, Please, Stay etc.

Although I haven't counted the tracks to verify the 400 , I don't think there will be any new material not currently available (assuming you have the Propaganda stuff).

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not getting my hopes up.

So when will it be available? Midnight tonight? Or first thing in the morning? I'm not at all sure if I want to buy this or not - too many ifs involved - but I'm dying to see the tracklisting! I'm pretty sure I will be let down, though. :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom