MERGED-->ALL U2 at Live 8 discussion, complaints, links, sets, etc -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't get in the whole 'MOOD' of Live8 for quite a while, and it was rather hard to think 'WOW!!!!!' with a bunch of static people round me! :(

U2Man said:
Let's end all this crap. U2's performance was by far the best of the day. Their opening with Sir Paul was absolutely splendid, and their own set was uplifting, rocky, serious and emotional at the same time. No other artists can reach U2 when they are at their best - and noone did, not even the elder guys.

U2's set was great, and might have been the best if done towards the end of the show.

Performance also has to measure response from the crowd in guaging "how good" it was, in my opinion. Robbie Williams and Pink Floyd definitely captivated the crowd. U2 didn't.

Again, put them near the end of the bill and they may have been the best. Yesterday was Pink Floyd's day. Hell, I turned the show OFF after their set.

Most people watching on TV thought U2 were great i have been reading people's opinions on the BBCs website and all ranked U2s performance as one of the best on the day.

Does anyone have the entire setlist from London? I'm curious as to what Snow Patrol, the Killers, and Pink Floyd played

I actually thought U2's performance was pretty average by their own standards, except for the opening with Macca which was both sensational and unbelievable.

I just don't like Pink Floyd;s music and they did nothing to change my opinion yesterday.

The Who stole the show for me, thought they played an excellent set.

It must have been good , it prompted me to buy one of their best of albums today.

octobermagic said:

U2's set was great, and might have been the best if done towards the end of the show.

Performance also has to measure response from the crowd in guaging "how good" it was, in my opinion. Robbie Williams and Pink Floyd definitely captivated the crowd. U2 didn't.

Again, put them near the end of the bill and they may have been the best. Yesterday was Pink Floyd's day. Hell, I turned the show OFF after their set.

Exactly. U2 did as well as they could have considering they were first up and therefore got a naturally lacklustre reception. You could see from the crowd shots the place was only half full (if that) and people were just slowly warming into it all, any aerial shot showed that thousands and thousands of people were still walking in and up to the stage (actually, during Vertigo, thousands were running). If they played the exact same set with the exact same performance near the end of the night they would have had them in a frenzy, but as it were, they were first and that means a half asleep crowd who are more interesting in finding their friends, finding their spot, getting themselves sorted for a big day and night and warming up into the frenzy that other bands will benefit from later.

Personally though I thought they were fantastic. The setlist was good, Beautiful Day and One were written for something like that. I don't really care for Vertigo but it was a good kick start song for the day. They did great.

I finally got to see U2's entire set today (thanks, Enajh - you friggin' rule!) and I must say that except for the Sgt. Pepper's number with Sir Paul (a spine-tingling moment and a dream come true for this Beatles-loving U2 fan), I was a tiny bit underwhelmed by the rest of the set. Yes, the release of the doves was wonderful and made Beautiful Day, a song I'm sick of, seem not so stale. I also liked the way Bono seemed to be addressing the G8 leaders with Vertigo ("give us what we :censored: ing want!") and the audience singing along on the Unchained Melody coda on One was nice. But I've heard better versions of all those songs before by the band. I wasn't expecting it to live up to U2's performance at Live Aid or anything, but I thought there was room for improvement. Who knows, maybe if I had been able to see it on a TV screen instead of a two-inch screen, it would have been better.

Earnie Shavers said:

Exactly. U2 did as well as they could have considering they were first up and therefore got a naturally lacklustre reception. You could see from the crowd shots the place was only half full (if that) and people were just slowly warming into it all, any aerial shot showed that thousands and thousands of people were still walking in and up to the stage (actually, during Vertigo, thousands were running). If they played the exact same set with the exact same performance near the end of the night they would have had them in a frenzy, but as it were, they were first and that means a half asleep crowd who are more interesting in finding their friends, finding their spot, getting themselves sorted for a big day and night and warming up into the frenzy that other bands will benefit from later.

Personally though I thought they were fantastic. The setlist was good, Beautiful Day and One were written for something like that. I don't really care for Vertigo but it was a good kick start song for the day. They did great.

Spot on. Take Mariah Carey out of the picture, and insert U2 in her spot, and they'd probably have taken home the prize.

Hell, from Sting on, except for Mariah, the London show absolutely ROCKED!!!!

I agree with what octobermagic and earnie said. :up: it was a little early for max crowd participation, but all around great performances. (thanks enajh :bow: )

I particularly liked Bono's huge grin during the line "I need your love" during Unchained Melody. :laugh:

I think that huge grin came from Edge hitting a very, very wrong note. You can hear it clearly as well as the crowd laughing at it.

just watched u2 & sir paul part for a first time uncut
excellent

splendid u2 set , with full power

only pink floyd were better
robbie williams comes third
london show was the best
green day did a splendid job in berlin
pet shop boys in moscow
and hey jude finale

too good for words

all the shows great

bob should go for president be knighted twice or something :wink:

IrishDawg said:
Does anyone have the entire setlist from London? I'm curious as to what Snow Patrol, the Killers, and Pink Floyd played

psst, if you click on the link you will be able to see what each artist played yesterday. :sexywink:

http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_concert/home/artists.adp

Snow Patrol:
http://music.channel.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=337688

The Killers:
http://music.channel.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=643632

Pink Floyd:
http://music.channel.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=76669

Last edited:
Has anyone watched the aol rebroadcast?

For three times in a row, it hasn't gone past Snoop Dogg. Twice it froze for a really long time and then picked up with The Who or Pink Floyd. Third time it just started the loop over at the beginning. I want to see Madonna's full set (I only saw part of Like a Prayer and part of Music) and it's like a cruel joke that it keeps eluding me. I guess it'll be online elsewhere soon enough.

i watched it twice
however , on london feed , they cut u2 perfomance , and start with freakin coldplay
search artists videos , they got every freakin video for every freakin song from all freakin acts , live 8 with intros & stuff
aol was and still is like a zoo station
:drool:

octobermagic said:

Alright, but in that case not even Sir Paul managed to get the crowd going during Sgt. Pepper.....hmmmm......the performance is the performance, not the crowd. If they had played in front of an empty lawn, U2 would still have been the best of the day, IMO.

joyfulgirl said:
Has anyone watched the aol rebroadcast?

For three times in a row, it hasn't gone past Snoop Dogg. Twice it froze for a really long time and then picked up with The Who or Pink Floyd. Third time it just started the loop over at the beginning. I want to see Madonna's full set (I only saw part of Like a Prayer and part of Music) and it's like a cruel joke that it keeps eluding me. I guess it'll be online elsewhere soon enough.

Just go to AOL music, type in the name of the artist in the search box. Click on their videos button, pick the Live 8 song you want to see. Full screen option. Internet Explorer only. And no more sitting through hours of video to see who you want on the feeds. I just found out about this myself off an Audioslave message board. Spread it around so we can stop wasting time.:wink:

I think Bono's speech before One will define Live 8. It was one moment when Bono had a stature of a world leader ( thought of which can be sickening).

HI everyone! First time I've been on since Thursday so haven't caught up with the Live8 discussions. Still so tired, was awake 22 hours on saturday!

What a day! My wee U2 banner was seen loads! Hehe I hope other people spotted it. I haven't been able to watch U2 on stage yet as my Mum mucked up the taping and only managed to get 4 hours starting from R.E.M. (Currently watching Brad Pitt :drool:) ANNIE LENNOX - one of the highlights.

I don't like the sounding of "complaints" in the title of the thread. It was a perfect day and think it is terrible if people have been ranting on. Only bad thing I could say was how exhausted I was, was close to collapsing walking back to Picadilly.

Dudette said:
Only bad thing I could say was how exhausted I was, was close to collapsing walking back to Picadilly.

Heh, that was another thing that was interesting-they were talking to people who'd come to the shows in London and Philly. Some of them said they'd left early that morning and hadn't slept yet (those poor people-I hope they found a hotel after the shows instead of just attempting to drive back home on lack of sleep), and some of them came from thousands of miles away to the shows. There were people at the Philly shows from Europe and Africa :ohmy:.

Angela

ponkine said:
No my friend, I´m a U2 fan, but listening carefully to the whole performance, it was shameful, really. Sorry for my words, but they couldn´t have performed a worse setlist and in a worse way. They looked and sounded boring, uninspired, just performing exactly what they perform all the time, as a contractual bussiness.

Bono can´t sing Vertigo well, and the song itself was completely pointless at that event. Beautiful Day... and One... performing that overplayed song they appear as a truly one hit wonder act.

Completely predictable, completely irrelevant, completely forgettable. As a U2 fan...do you know what I mean ? I´m talking about a band who changed the music history during the 80´s and 90´s... I simply can´t praise the s*** the performed today, another kinda by performance as they have been playing since 2000. I´m listening to Bad now...

Chúpamela Ponkine, tus comentarios siempre apestan.

dunno if you've already seen this pic -- it was in an Italian mag and I reallt like it!!

344596%3B523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E234%3C%3D9%3A%3B%3D398%3DXROQDF%3E23239979%3A8%3B57ot1lsi

Back
Top Bottom