MERGED--> ALL DISCUSSION U2 on Conan O' Brian this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just caught the "Secrets"...Bono's bit was very funny, but Edge was hysterical, not so much for his "secret" but the way he delivered it...the man is a comedy GENIUS. :D

Hey guys! I've listened to the mp3s from the Conan show--but was reeeeeallly wondering if anyone had video from "The Year 2000" skit. It was great when listening to it!

Soo....anyone have it?

Thanks!

Band Really Was Playing

Howdy,

I was at the Conan Show and I assure you that the every band member was definitely really playing his instrument. It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! The sound really filled up that little studio. Everyone told me that Conan's set was small, but I had no idea it would be SO TINY!!!

I'm a big U2 fan (as in I have all their albums and see them every time they're in town, not that I know which band member is lactose intolerant), so it was just a non-stop one-hour thrill. The only awkward parts were during the commercials, when I just didn't know what to do. Here are these amazing rock demi-gods just standing a few feet in front of you, tuning their instruments, making small talk with the crew, and you're just kind of sitting there. Normally, I would want to go up and chat, but that's obviously not acceptable on the set, but I even felt like I should be clapping--"way to drink that soda!"--I mean this is U2! But you're just kind of expected to sit there and wait for Max and the boys to finish up their little interlude music (which is excellent, by the way). My personal highlight was when, as Bono was starting on a short speech (don't get me wrong; I loved his words!), the Edge made eye contact with me and we nodded to each other, as if we were saying "Ah yes, here we go again!"

In short, they were a class act. Unfortunately, they only played four songs--we cheered as long as we could for an encore, but it didn't happen. It's too bad they cut out the end of Vertigo as it was rockin--Bono went even crazier with the camera afterwards--but they also cut out other little bits from the show to maximize the amount of music they could show--plus one of the Edge's comments on "In the Year 2000" was a little too hot for TV. Another one that Conan did just wasn't funny, so they were edited out. We also saw a longer opening bit out in the crowd--it was HILARIOUS!

On a Conan note (king of late night), it's awesome how both he and a warm-up guy come out and spend some time with the crowd before the show to get us worked up. Conan was definitely extremely excited about having U2 on. He kept saying that it was going to be the best show ever and that he actually meant it this time. I couldn't have agreed more!!!

--Jake

Re: Band Really Was Playing

jgarlanm said:
I was at the Conan Show

thanks for your report!!

they didn't film U2 secrets with you guys there did they?

if so, did Adam film one?

also, what was Edge's TOO HOT FOR TV year 2000 comment?

Just in case: IS THERE ANY more U2ness on tonight's Conan for us West Coasters?

or does he still do an older episode on mondays?

Thanks!

Re: Re: Band Really Was Playing

bort269 said:

thanks for your report!!

they didn't film U2 secrets with you guys there did they?

It was already filmed. You could tell because Bono referred to "secrets" in his interview in the same whispered voice that Conan uses.

if so, did Adam film one?

Don't know.

also, what was Edge's TOO HOT FOR TV year 2000 comment?

It was something along the line of in the year 2000, vacuums will no longer suck dirt because it's too selfish to suck back.

Just in case: IS THERE ANY more U2ness on tonight's Conan for us West Coasters?

or does he still do an older episode on mondays?

Thanks!

Is this thread still going on?

People think U2 are the arrogent ones....I think many of the people in this thread are arrogent. Really lighten up a bit maybe you have your jock strap on too tight.

It was good to see U2 doing the Year 2000 thing whether people here liked it or not....not because of the jokes in it but because it shows a more human side to the band that is rarely seen and certainly hasnt ever been seen up until the past few years.

Edge said one "Bono hits us, sometimes really hard"
Larry "I only joined U2 so I could meet Jackie Chan"
Edge "when Irish people talk fast, I can't understand them either"

Re: Band Really Was Playing

jgarlanm said:
My personal highlight was when, as Bono was starting on a short speech (don't get me wrong; I loved his words!), the Edge made eye contact with me and we nodded to each other, as if we were saying "Ah yes, here we go again!"

--Jake
:cute:

Thanks for the info Jake! :wave: :hug:

I'm going to be annoying and ask that somebody re-post the link to OOTS, and is there an mp3 of Vertigo? Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom