MERGED-->2004-2005 Tour. Where will it go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
2004-2005 Tour. Where will it go?

Does anybody think that U2 will let their next tour take them to new, different places they've never been? Or will it just be a Europe/US deal again? The word now is that there will be an arena tour in 2004, beginning in May in the US and going to Europe in the fall. If that tour does well, then a stadium tour will follow. The stadium tour is the only way U2 will ever go to places like Australia/Japan/South America again, I'm sorry to say. The cost of transporting all over the place must justify itself, or they will not do it. They've never been to Russia or China, or India or Singapore, where it's been said they have a decent following. Also, they haven't played in New Zealand for 10 years, which used to be a hot spot for them.

But do you think that they'll even bother with touring those areas at this point in their career? They seemed to come out well in 2001 with 80 American dates and 30 European dates, financially. The question is, do they value sheer profit over pleasing all their fans? How do you all think it will fall into place?

One would hope they value their Australian fans enough to come and visit us here.

POPMART was one of the greatest tours ever. Elevation Tour was a little tour (only Europe/US), and I hope now they will try again to conquer the world... specially Rio! We don?t want closed shows like they did when they came here for Walk On videoclip...

Re: 2004-2005 Tour. Where will it go?

The_acrobat said:
The question is, do they value sheer profit over pleasing all their fans?
It's not like they'd need to be thinking about profit now anyway! A band like U2, who are absolutely rolling in it, should really just be doing it for the fans! They'd have a strong following in any country they went to.
COME BACK TO AUSTRALIA! :p

Well, from a financial standpoint, just think about it. U2 only played in Europe, US and Canada on Elevation. And they made a lot more money than they ever made. U2 honestly don't seemed concerned with world domination anymore. I hope I'm wrong, but I could see them only touring Europe and North America. It costs money every day to lug that shit around, concert or not. And to tour the Pacific Rim, for instance, would mean 4-5 days between cities without any income for those 4 days, which eats up profits really quickly. The Zoomerang Tour of ZOO TV, according to Bill Flanagan, wasn't really even that profitable. The MTV simulcast was supposed to make the leg profitable, but it didn't work out.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. Everyone deserves to see U2. They applied for the job of the great band in the world. Well, they didn't ask the whole world...they only asked the US, Canada and Europe. So, they've still got more applications to turn in.

Also, as a side note.....I hope they come back to Columbus.

i hope they do come back to australia.....and anywhere else that they havent been for a while (south america, japan, New Zealand and many others)

it will save allot of people from having to fork out heaps of money to travel overseas to the USA or Europe to go see there favourite band....i'm starting to "save up" just incase they dont plan any dates here....

I'm sure that U2 don't need the money anymore. However, it's not about how much money they already have, it's just that most people, and most professionals, do not like the idea of working for free or losing money doing what they do. Unless it's a matter of charity or saving lives, of course, but I don't think U2 fans qualify, :)

I do hope that they visit Australia; if not I'll probably have to come over to US again.

Received this newsletter from U2World, if it's true..This is so
all I can say is Ireland fan's have alot to look forward too.

The Mirror : U2 plan to rock 200,000
[ 23/08/2003 ]
Source : The Mirror

U2 are being lined up to rock 200,000 fans at Phoenix Park next summer, The Irish Mirror can reveal.

The Dublin super group will stage the record-breaking shows in August as part of a huge tour.

Madonna was originally approached to perform but said she had no plans to tour next year.

So U2 have stepped in and vowed to stage the biggest show ever in Ireland.

A source close to the group said yesterday: "They will perform two nights at Phoenix Park in front of 100,000 fans on each occasion.

"It's going to be the biggest music event of its kind ever staged in Ireland and it's perfect for U2.

"They are really excited about it and will have the new album out by then so it's perfect timing."

Robbie Williams sold out this Phoenix Park spectacular to 135,000 earlier this month and fans proclaimed the venue a hit.

Bono and the lads have been in the studio recording material for a new album which is set for release early next year.

A world tour is also in the planning stages although no official dates have been confirmed.

The source added: "This will be the biggest thing U2 have ever done.

"It may seem like a long way away but two concerts of this size take a long time to plan.

"It's all in the preliminary stages but U2 are up for it and everything is in place to make it happen.

"They want to have their biggest ever concert on their home territory."

U2 last thrilled their Irish fans when they headlined Slane in August 2001.

The band set a new record for the highest grossing tour in America and sold out 70 venues around the world.

The source added: "The last tour was mainly indoor arenas, this time they are going to go back to the open air stadium concerts.

"However, the Phoenix Park shows will be the biggest they have ever done. It's going to be a magical night for everyone.":applaud:

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:
A world tour is also in the planning stages although no official dates have been confirmed.

lets hope it acturly means what it says, by WORLD tour

but great news!!!
i wonder if that show will be the start of the tour?

U2 to play to 200,000 in Dublin?

The Mirror : U2 plan to rock 200,000
[ 23/08/2003 ]
Source : The Mirror

U2 are being lined up to rock 200,000 fans at Phoenix Park next summer, The Irish Mirror can reveal.

The Dublin super group will stage the record-breaking shows in August as part of a huge tour.

Madonna was originally approached to perform but said she had no plans to tour next year.

So U2 have stepped in and vowed to stage the biggest show ever in Ireland.

A source close to the group said yesterday: "They will perform two nights at Phoenix Park in front of 100,000 fans on each occasion.

"It's going to be the biggest music event of its kind ever staged in Ireland and it's perfect for U2.

"They are really excited about it and will have the new album out by then so it's perfect timing."

Robbie Williams sold out this Phoenix Park spectacular to 135,000 earlier this month and fans proclaimed the venue a hit.

Bono and the lads have been in the studio recording material for a new album which is set for release early next year.

The source added: "This will be the biggest thing U2 have ever done.

"It may seem like a long way away but two concerts of this size take a long time to plan.

"It's all in the preliminary stages but U2 are up for it and everything is in place to make it happen.

"They want to have their biggest ever concert on their home territory."

U2 last thrilled their Irish fans when they headlined Slane in August 2001.

The band set a new record for the highest grossing tour in America and sold out 70 venues around the world.

The source added: "The last tour was mainly indoor arenas, this time they are going to go back to the open air stadium concerts.

"However, the Phoenix Park shows will be the biggest they have ever done. It's going to be a magical night for everyone."

REM are on a world tour

and they're touring Europe and America

nothing new there

U2 will never come to my part of the world, I remember reading something about the Edge where he said they'd rather not spend the $ bringing all the stuff over. Or something like that.

I hope this means the US tour will begin in March or April. Or would that be too much to expect? *if it's a reliable source of info, that is* The weather would be so much cooler then, here in the deep South that is. Couldn't make Legion Field, Birmingham. in '92. Once more please!!!!:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

Edited to say, New Orleans or Atlanta will be just fine, also.
Memphis Tn, or anywhere in the Panhandle of Fl.:dance:

Last edited:
I hope it will be something like:

Leg I
North America (30 Shows)

Leg II
Europe (35 Shows)

Leg III
North America (20 Shows)

Leg IV
Mexico (3 Shows)
Brazil (3 Shows)
Argentina (3 Shows)
Australia - Melbourne (2 Shows)
Australia - Sydney (2 Shows)
Australia - Perth (1 Show)
Australia - Adelaide (1 Show)
Japan (3 Shows)

I think that they only did indoor venues on their last tour because their previous album and tour (Pop/PopMart) weren't as well received as their other efforts and had created the perception that U2 had "cooled off" a little bit (if that's even possible).

So it's like they decided to go back to smaller venues to re-build a base level of success, and now that they did so (quite triumphantly!) with ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour, they are once again poised to take over the world ala' ZooTV style.

alexvilagosh said:

You can't forget a Brisbane show. I would love for them to come to the Gold Coast, but we don't even have a venue for them to play at, so I'll settle for Brisbane. Otherwise, I like what you posted. Six shows would be absolutely grand, and I'd (try to) be at all of them.

alexvilagosh said:

add 2 brisbane shows, and you would have an aussie tour there....
tassie always miss out, :lol:

Oklahoma City.

--I know they'd sell out the 20,000 seat Ford Center. The Red Hot Chili Peppers with Snoop Dogg almost sold out the building, so U2 wouldn't have any trouble filling the seats.

Back
Top Bottom