Mercy videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I don't understand are all the people who think the song is just a work in progress. It appears to have been cut from the album at the last minute along with Fast Cars to keep the album under an hour (an idiotic way of thinking, if you ask me, though the songs probably didn't fit sonically anyway), so why is there any reason to believe it wasn't completed by that pruning stage? That the sound quality isn't that great doesn't say much--we're talking about a loss of a few generations by the time we've heard it. By comparison, you can totally hear how Native Son and Xanax & Wine are primitive prototypes, and don't sound anything close to something finished by U2's standards.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the actual quote from Bono "this is the best b-side you've never heard"? There's no way they didn't think it was good enough to go on one of the singles, especially if it was originally on the album track listing, so it still leads one to believe they're saving it for something greater.

Hopefully it won't be re-recorded with Moroccan musicians. The glory of Edge's work here MUST be preserved.

This is my first listen to this song. Ever.

My thoughts? It's too long. Too many lyrics. Use the better ones and cut down those verses.

The lyrics are a little out there, I think they need to be refined some more.

I'm glad they're working on it. It needs trimming and polishing. It's a good starting point though, definitely.

Mercy needs a better ending.. that's it... the "again and again and again" part is weak... it HAS to end amazingly...

because it has an final-song-for-a-concert feeling...

This is the copy of mercy I now have.
http://www. .com/file/l81zhf
Before my computer crashed a year ago I also had a copy where someone had edited it down and made it shorter in length and enhanced the sound. Does anyone have a copy of that one that they could post?

I really like Mercy. To me, it's a song about being lost, and the confusing lyrics just add to that.

Mercy is a work of art, and speaks to legions of U2 fans.
Simpletons do not understand Mercy.

dbs

I personally would like to see it released on the new album. I think it's a "good" song but I'd like to see it become a little "fuller" sounding as an actual release. That might carry it to a "great" song. Don't really care for the lyrics, though. Sorry, Bono.

I think it needs a rewrite, to be honest.

"If you're the prosecution, I'd get away with murder" reminds me an awful lot of "Love left a window in the skies and to love I rhapsodize."

They can do better, and I hope they do. There's a song in there somewhere, but they shouldn't release this version.

lazarus said:
I find it odd that the lyrics are being pointed to as the weakness of this track, when apparently they meant enough to Bono to put them in the special edition book of HTDAAB.

Personally, I think the section of "we're binary code/a one and a zero/you wanted violins/and you got Nero" is the best thing he's written so far this decade. Just because it's one of his "list" songs doesn't mean there isn't some weight there. You think the metaphors are lightweight, but how can you truly say so without knowing the man's mind. Some of the best art and lyric writing is the stuff that makes you think for a while. I can't say that about the band's recent output except for a few songs, this being one of them.

Also, I don't know how you can accuse them of getting lost in the music to the point of diffusion and not say the same thing about the studio recordings of not only Elvis Presley & America (a common complaint) but Bad as well. Personally I think Mercy builds more along the lines of Bad's live version, which has a payoff to the build. A song can wander without meandering.

Aren't you tired of the poppy verse chorus verse structure? I don't know how anyone can hear this and not find it refreshing, regardless of how much you like the last two albums.

While the band appears to be exploring even newer directions with the Morrocco sessions, I don't know that we've heard the last of this song. Why would Bono call it "the best b side" and then let it escape into the ether? Yeah, he may know the song as leaked, but if he thinks it's so great he'd rather have millions of fans hearing it than, what, 10 or 20 thousand? It has to still be one of the least-heard U2 song in existence.

Perhaps the lyrics have meaning for Bono, deep enough to write in the book and deep enough to use in the song. But, after hearing this song enough times (it actually used to be on my iPod) the lyrics still don't give way to something deeper for me personally. And that's what I love about U2 songs: I can explore them by repeated listening, and find something new and find something to which I can relate every time. To me, these lyrics smart of something I can't put my finger on, but because of the lyrics I can't get deeper into the song than the superficial (ie. the literal meaning of the lyrics). The lines of the song are incongruous to one another in the sense that, for some lines, some lyrics are stretched to meet the meter of the song whilst others are squashed in to try and keep the rhythm regular. While not every song needs to have a regular beat to it, what stands out for me in this song is the aparentness with which the lyrics are trying to fit into the metre, so much so that they stand out when they don't. On the same note (no puns intended), I must admit I like the verse chorus verse chorus middle eight etc, but yes, I do find it somewhat refreshing when a song that doesn't do this comes along. But what with the sheer length of this song, it sounds more a cluster of ideas that haven't been catalogued properly rather than a sort of 'free verse' song. It actually sounds like it should be in the standard pop song format but it hasn't been tweaked about yet. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, because they can take this idea and work on it until they find a form that works better, it shouldn't be an album song. I state again, I believe it's better suited as a template and a song that can provide a great learning experience for the band, but the fact that it's going to be on the new album (a fact that I've known and resented for about a month or so now) means it's a snippet of what the new album will sound like. And I can't think of this song sounding anything else but lost. True, there's a difference between wandering and meandering, but it does sound to me like it has veered off course by the second verse and doesn't actually get back 'on track', so to speak.

The difference between Bad and Mercy (because I can't dispute Elvis Presley and America - it's one of the weaker songs of UF, in my opinion) is Bad's climax. Instead of the almost palpable desperation in the screams of, "I'm wide awake" (aided as well by the crescendo in the music) before coming down into, "oh no, no", Mercy has the block of "Love is justice, not charity," to, "I'm alive again," and because it sounds so much like the rest of the song, there's no impact before the repetition of, "I'm born again, and again and again," ad infinitum. This, to me, sounds like Bono doesn't know where the song should go next, even if this was not his intention, and so just lets it wander around a bit before leaving.

And no, I'm not an egomaniac. I know I've referred to myself a lot, but it's merely to stress that this is just my opnion. I might be wrong, I might be right. But whatever it is, I just can't bring myself to like Mercy. It works as a b-side, yes (though not the best b-side ever, I've heard him say this before and I do think there are better ones out there), it works as a starting point or somewhere from which to advance, yes. But not as an album track, in my opinion.

Overrated song. Good enough to be on an album, yes. But nothing close to a classic. It could use some trimming and a less meandering ending.

Similarly to Fast cars (or rather, it's predecessor Xanax and Wine), it sounds like U2 wanting to channel its 90's self.

gman said:
Would I be right in saying am one of the VERY few that rate this among U2's weakest ever songs? Its the musical equivalent of a dog chasing its tail!

No, you wouldn't be one of few, but you would be one of many that are wholly incorrect. :sexywink:

LemonMelon said:

No, you wouldn't be one of few, but you would be one of many that are wholly incorrect. :sexywink:

haha, now that I've finally learned this WASN'T officially released, I really want them to finish it!! I think it's already a great song, but in some ways it reminds me of the 'Salome Tapes' of rough music from the AB sessions, and we all know what an incredible album THAT became.

Mercy = meh.

Too long to ever be played in concert... If Bono can't even remember the words to, say, Fast Cars (or better yet, that long bit in Bad) how is he gonna remember the words to this?

Besides, it gets just repetitive after a while. Cut it down to 4 mins, maybe 5, then we'll see, I say.

I love Mercy, but I agree, it has to become shorter, it's too long as a song. But apart from that, I hope they don't change it too much. I love it the way it is now. For me it's one of U2's best songs in recent years. A song like Mercy represents what U2 are all about.

cutting down Mercy is pop-ing it up... making it "playable"... BAD isn't playable... the real Streets isn't...

they can rework it, but don't transform it and keep it above 5 minutes... and that little Edge solo is heaven :drool:

major_panic said:
... If Bono can't even remember the words to, say, Fast Cars (or better yet, that long bit in Bad) how is he gonna remember the words to this?

Besides, it gets just repetitive after a while. Cut it down to 4 mins, maybe 5, then we'll see, I say.

i'm hoping Bono's lyrics memory will improve next time around, when he takes a step or two back from his grueling activism schedule (a la vertigo tour)

i wouldn't mind seeing them clean it up, but i also like the longer playtime- it's a change from anything they've done recently.

last unicorn said:
I love Mercy, but I agree, it has to become shorter, it's too long as a song. But apart from that, I hope they don't change it too much. I love it the way it is now. For me it's one of U2's best songs in recent years. A song like Mercy represents what U2 are all about.
:up:

pepokiss said:
cutting down Mercy is pop-ing it up... making it "playable"... BAD isn't playable... the real Streets isn't...

they can rework it, but don't transform it and keep it above 5 minutes... and that little Edge solo is heaven :drool:

funny how when using the three letters "p-o-p" on a u2 board they can mean almost opposite things depending on your context, (right?) but i think i follow you...

i agree Bad really isn't that "radio-friendly," and it took me a while to warm up to it... Streets i do think of as fairly radio-friendly, but not necessarily vry "pop" ... and i agree that they should keep it on the 5 min+ side... that's part of it's appeal to me ... that's its a departure from their recent work...

it seems like they're trying to straddle several different kinds of rock and pop music at once with this song, (like their idols "the who" are credited with doing with prog and punk) and even if Mercy isn't 100% successful at it, its good to see them setting their sights on that again...

U2girl said:
Overrated song. Good enough to be on an album, yes. But nothing close to a classic. It could use some trimming and a less meandering ending.

I agree. I also actually think it doesn't really fit on Atomic Bomb and that they made the right decision there. I know that sounds funny because Atomic Bomb is such a mix of stuff you can almost imagine anything 'fitting', but there's something about it - I think it works better with the earlier stuff, ie would suit an album alongside Native Son/Xanax etc moreso than the end-result Bomb. I think it's a big overblown anthem loaded with cliches, but it's not 'bad' and would make a good b-side, or possibly be good on the right album and that intial true rock album they were working on could have worked with this.

I love Mercy and I think it shouldn't be a b-side, but on an album instead. They could make it a bit shorter, but I hope they wouldn't change it too much. I love the guitar, the singing, and especially Edge's solo, it's magic. I so hope the song will finally appear as a proper release.

Mercy is :heart:

For me, it has so much of what U2 is really about as a band.

I love Mercy, and would love if it's on the next album. I also hope they keep it over 6 minutes.

Agreed. I think Mercy is one of the stronger songs from this decade. I don't understand why people think it's too long. Is Bad too long? Is City Of Blinding Lights too long? Is Zooropa too long? I love it when U2 stretches out every once in a while and forgoes the basic verse-chorus-verse pop song.

If any band should have a license to write long songs or ballads, it should be U2 and that they should own that birthright.

For any of you that disagree with me, I would encourage you go home and listen to your Duran Duran or Creed albums.

thank u,

dbs

Back
Top Bottom