MERCY thread 3,232

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Yes, I know the song Mercy has been discussed a lot in here, but I just heard this song 4 hours ago and I'm thinking ; why is this song not on the album!?!?!?! This song is already in my top 50 U2 songs of all time!

i can honestly say that i like every song on the album better than mercy.

mercy has a lot of potential, but i just dont "love" it like everyone else.

it's a really cool bside though, definitly their best bside.

Oh, I love this album very much with at least 8 songs from the "Bomb" making my top 50 U2 songs of all time, but I still feel that Mercy should have made the album and its definitely in my top 50 of all time.

Mercy is tied with two other U2 songs(Zooropa and AIWIY), for being U2's second longest recorded song. Only Lemon is clearly longer. I wonder if that had any influence in it not making the album?

I just cannot believe they decided not to put this song on the album. Its way to good to just be a B-side.

Mercy is in my top 10 U2 songs. I actually limit myself to only hearing it every 3 or 4 days because I don't want that /feeling/ to go away.
Bono said it will be the best B side ever, but in a way I hope they decide to pull a Zooropa and put out another album during the tour, with Mercy being the lead song. :drool: :drool:

Why is it not on the album? Well, in my opinion:

1. The guitar part is just not totally right...it needed work.

2. It seems uninspired in places

3. Drags on WAY too long for no reason.

4. Related to #3, it is missing the climax that most epic songs have- it never reaches that height.

5. Lastly, if U2 weren't satisfied by it and didn't want it on the album, it must be lacking something. I'm ok with that.

BTW, I think Mercy is a good song, but is pretty overrated here on the boards.

Mercy is a song that is really good in its current form. But it’s unfinished. It sounds it needs a structural re-work or lyrical re-work. But to go and do that might take away whatever vibe the song has already.

I think they should clean up the mixing, slap it on as a b-side and it could be one of the best U2 b-sides.

ImOuttaControl said:
Why is it not on the album? Well, in my opinion:

1. The guitar part is just not totally right...it needed work.

2. It seems uninspired in places

3. Drags on WAY too long for no reason.

4. Related to #3, it is missing the climax that most epic songs have- it never reaches that height.

5. Lastly, if U2 weren't satisfied by it and didn't want it on the album, it must be lacking something. I'm ok with that.

BTW, I think Mercy is a good song, but is pretty overrated here on the boards.

agree with every word.

(i'll copy your post to paste in the next 814 threads about mercy that will appear soon)

I believe it's the most soul I've heard from U2 in a long time. Each band member, not just bono's vocals or Edge's guitar, but Larry and Adam also should be highlighted in this song. It's AMAZING. I love it. It should be on the album.

I honestly don't see the hype about this one.

to me it's ok, nothing more, nothing less; an unfinished tune.

reminds me ALOT of 1984-85.
in fact, I'm almost sure that the melody is from a song of that era...I just can't think of which in order to prove it.

it reminds me of AB the most. Bono's lyrics, all the electronics. but then it has something else. I think it's the HTDAAB sound -- Larry's drums and Edge TUF guitar sounds just make it the best. It DOES have a climax, the last verse (I hear you talk. . . Feel nothing, I feel nothing, FE-EE-EE-EE-EEL!). The chorus is just something else, man. I think this song is the fastest "grower" out there. It takes maybe 3 listens, but once it's got you, your in. It IS the best b-side ever!

JOFO said:
reminds me ALOT of 1984-85.
in fact, I'm almost sure that the melody is from a song of that era...I just can't think of which in order to prove it.

Exactly. And that's why I love it sooooooo much. :wink:

When I first heard it, I had the overwhelming sense that it sounded like a b-side. I think I like it a lot more right now, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced it should have been included. Although I may be willing to swap it with one or two other songs on the album which I think are relatively weak.

EPandAmerica said:

Bono said it will be the best B side ever, but in a way I hope they decide to pull a Zooropa and put out another album during the tour, with Mercy being the lead song. :drool: :drool:

Hell. Yes. Mercy isn't the best b-side I've ever heard, it's the best a-side I haven't heard. It's the best closer to an album, ever. U2 could seriously pull another Zooropa with some of the demo tracks (Smile and Levitate come to mind) and some new stuff... songs like Mercy and Levitate have an updated-AB feel, which in my eyes is :drool: of course we don't want U2 repeating themselves but I think they could make an album in the same vein of AB but with more maturity... seriously though Mercy NEEDS to be on an album. I think that song alone could inspire a whole album...it's definately in my top 50 and probably in my top 20, maybe even top 10. The whole thing is just amazing... especially the lyrics! "You're gravity searching for the ground/You're silence searching for a sound" stands out to me in paticular... hell you can tell the song will be brilliant by the opening lines, "I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood/What's the use of religion if you're any good?" Every single lyric in this song is great, except maybe for "You know I'm weedkiller honey, and you're sugar." That could be changed... minor adjustments could be made... but overall I'd say, leave the song the way it is, give us a high-quality mastered recording, and put that sucker on an album!!

For the non Mercy-lovers...I ask you, how many times have you listened to this song? The first few times I found it rather boring to be honest, it seemed to go on and on, and there was nothing in the music that really stood out to me, y'know? But then I listened to it a few more times, alone, reading the lyrics, listening closely...it grew on me. A lot. I realized how truly amazing Bono's vocal performance was, and how every single line could be dissected and discussed to some deeper meaning, much more so than in most if any songs. I realized how beautiful the guitar was, how brilliant Adam's bassline was. I noticed how the drums slowly built up throughout the verses, I noticed the atmospheric effects that added to that dark, open feel. Listen to this song with headphones, eyes closed, and let yourself get lost in the atmosphere of the song...let it carry you. Mercy moves in a way that few songs do.

If anyone has a high quality version of Mercy, please send it to me. I got a copy of it when it first leaked, but it was ripped as a 128 mp3, so the quality is low. Anyone who has a high quality version, email it to me please at Jamie.Rollo@gmail.com. Thanks!

Rafiennes said:
Mercy is a song that is really good in its current form. But it’s unfinished. It sounds it needs a structural re-work or lyrical re-work. But to go and do that might take away whatever vibe the song has already.

I think they should clean up the mixing, slap it on as a b-side and it could be one of the best U2 b-sides.

Structural re-work, lyrical re-work, of course! But that is precisely why its so good, because its not finished and processed. Kind of like the Unforgettable Fire Album.

Back
Top Bottom