Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr Gloria said:
does anyone have a address for Mercy ...i tried to get it form the u23player above but couldnt get it through that...

any chance of someone telling me how else to get it?

leave your email address and I'll send it you

I don't like those artists and bands whose singles are their best songs and the rest of the album is crap...so I like how U2 chooses their singles:wink:

Aygo said:

Fast Cars, I love this song... Even the J.L. remix is amazing... I 'd love the idea of U2 invading a bazar in Morocco and start playing this song.

I've heard a Jacknife Lee remix of Vertigo, but not Fast Cars...

Would someone be so kind as to send me a copy?

djapeor@yahoo.com

And I'd love to be in that bazaar in Morocco when it happens...

:wink:

SecretFly said:
Well what can I say, I just downloaded these songs a few days ago and WOW.

Mercy is one of the best songs U2 have written to date. I cannot believe that U2 have not refined this song into a single as in touched it up a little bit not too much of course. This song is absolutely amazing and beats all other songs on HTDAAB.

Fast Cars, well again, one of there better songs to date. I can really imagine this song on a movie sound track. It is sooooo cool.

Native Son...beats Vertigo quite easily. The overall sound of the song is so much better than Vertigo and rocks. I find it much more catchy than Vertigo. I absolutely love the various guitar sounds in Native Son. It rocks.

I love U2 however I am a little disappointed in their last album. It seems as though they have written songs in HTDAAB in an attempt to impress the overall audience.

I thought U2 had lost their magic with their last album but listening to Mercy, Fast Cars and Native Son has convinced me that they still have the magic and need to just believe in their own music, instead of trying to get positive feedback from producers etc..which I believe has happened while they wrote songs on their last album.

Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with. Don't try and develop the song by trying to impress the overall audience.

Anyway one last thing in relation to Mercy..well what can I say :drool:

Mercy shouldnt be a single, It should stay as a album song, exactly as Bad,UTEOTW,RTSS.....

Vertigo got so much power then Native Son, NS is to kind.

Mercy is incredibly overrated. It's no better musically or lyrically than anything else on the Bomb.

Fast Cars rules. For the life of me, I don't understand why it wasn't on the regular version of the Bomb. It's better than anything on album.

Native Son kicks Vertigo's ass.

Bono's shades said:
Mercy is incredibly overrated. It's no better musically or lyrically than anything else on the Bomb.

Fast Cars rules. For the life of me, I don't understand why it wasn't on the regular version of the Bomb. It's better than anything on album.

Native Son kicks Vertigo's ass.

Mercy got a feeling and spirit that no other song got on the album, I think its so overated to call it overrated.

MERCY rocks
FAST CARS rocks

they are both incredible and should have been on the album.

i cant agree about native son, i think its pretty bad and "Vertigo" rocks...song kicks ass, specially live

well bono said that when it came to HTDAAB recording time, he felt that he wouldnt want to play 'native son' live, and we dont want him playing their hit song live when he doesnt like it...though i have mixed thoughts on native son, im glad bono picked what he enjoyed most

Re: Re: Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son

Peterrrrr said:

Vertigo got so much power then Native Son, NS is to kind.

??

native son>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>vertigo

Native son over vertigo
Xanax and wine over fast cars.
xanax and wine over mecy.

xanax and wine would of been global.

SecretFly said:
Well what can I say, I just downloaded these songs a few days ago and WOW.

Mercy is one of the best songs U2 have written to date. I cannot believe that U2 have not refined this song into a single as in touched it up a little bit not too much of course. This song is absolutely amazing and beats all other songs on HTDAAB.

Fast Cars, well again, one of there better songs to date. I can really imagine this song on a movie sound track. It is sooooo cool.

Native Son...beats Vertigo quite easily. The overall sound of the song is so much better than Vertigo and rocks. I find it much more catchy than Vertigo. I absolutely love the various guitar sounds in Native Son. It rocks.

Agree, agree, agree.

Mercy is an absolutely amazing song, Fast Cars is different from what was on HTDAAB, which is good, and Native Son is so supoerior to Vertigo its not funny.

I like Fast Cars, Xanax and Wine, and Native Son.

In my opinion Xanax and Wine is better than Fast Cars.

But I also think that Vertigo and Native Son are just as good as each other. Maybe people are afraid to admit that since Vertigo is just Vertigo?

And could anyone send me Mercy?

madcowwithnoselfcontrol@msn.com

Thanks.

I just heard Mercy for the first time today and my first impression of it was that it sounds like something New Order (Hands up thoughs here who remember New Order!?!?) would have produced in their hay day! And I should know, my brother was a huge New Order fan and I'd hear this similar sort heavy base line thudding through his bedroom door every night!! :wink:
That said I really like the song and you never know with a little bit of extra producing, it may end up on some future U2 album. :shrug:

nightninja56 said:
well bono said that when it came to HTDAAB recording time, he felt that he wouldnt want to play 'native son' live, and we dont want him playing their hit song live when he doesnt like it...though i have mixed thoughts on native son, im glad bono picked what he enjoyed most

ooh, ooh, where (i.e., in an interview? if so, do you recall which one?) did bono say that?
I just got to hear Native Son and so far to me it feels like it would be hard to make that piece "his own", as it were, for live performances. It feels like Bono playing a character, and that doesn't fit with the rest of HTDAAB. It had a feel like a soundtrack to a scene from an oliver stone movie to me. It's interesting, it's good, it's very evocative, I think, but it's got a very particular-feeling landscape, expansive and loose with scattered dangerous debris, and it doesn't mesh so well with the rest. Vertigo has much more 'power' as people have said! It's got 'punch' over NS bigtime and is also evocative, but so much more personal-feeling, focused, it "feels...fee-eeee-eeels" like the vertigo-tour icon with it's organized ring of concentric circles emanating outward but starting from ground zero... I like it much more.
Native Son would just *not* have fit in right, would have changed the feel of all else on HTDAAB in a not-good way I think. Vertigo is brilliant...I'd love to understand more about how it came from NS, because I don't quite see how its 'energy' could have led to Vertigo without a serious jolt of something else...

Cheers all!

Mercy isn't that good... I really enjoyed the chorus, such as: "love puts the blue back in your eye" and that part, but the rest, even the opening line, I didn't enjoy at all. I would say that NS and V are equal... they could be played for each other. As for X&W and FS... Xanax kills Fast Cars like a car hitting a deer. As I said before though, I enjoy the Mexican feel of Fast Cars...

Just thought that it might be interesting to bring up a few more songs to debate on: Always, the early version of Beautiful Day. Alt. Versions of Sometimes..., All Because of You, and Yahweh.

For me, of course Beautiful Day kills Always, but I kind of like Always. I would put the normal version of Sometimes... over the Alternate Version. The alternate version of All Because of You I would easily say is better than the album version. As for the 2 Yahwehs, there is such a small difference between them, but I would still go with the album version. Other comments on this?

darklordedge said:
Mercy isn't that good... I really enjoyed the chorus, such as: "love puts the blue back in your eye" and that part, but the rest, even the opening line, I didn't enjoy at all. I would say that NS and V are equal... they could be played for each other. As for X&W and FS... Xanax kills Fast Cars like a car hitting a deer. As I said before though, I enjoy the Mexican feel of Fast Cars...

Just thought that it might be interesting to bring up a few more songs to debate on: Always, the early version of Beautiful Day. Alt. Versions of Sometimes..., All Because of You, and Yahweh.

For me, of course Beautiful Day kills Always, but I kind of like Always. I would put the normal version of Sometimes... over the Alternate Version. The alternate version of All Because of You I would easily say is better than the album version. As for the 2 Yahwehs, there is such a small difference between them, but I would still go with the album version. Other comments on this?

^Yep, mate.
For Mercy, I have the opposite feeling than yours:giggle: . I think that the verses are perfect as they are (not sentences written by a 8yr old boy, as someone said once in this board), and the oppositions match perfectly. About the chorus, is good, but not as good as other U2 songs. IMO the song is in its final form and production and it shouldn't be reworked.

NS vs Vertigo: NS have the feeling of a garage rocker, maybe for smaller audiences, but Vertigo rocks in ambiances that are the typical U2 ones. It's even better live!

X&W vs FC: I'd take Fast Cars. I love the previous version, is more rocker, and those riffs kill me, but it was such a surprise when I first listened to Fast Cars, and it gives you the feeling that U2 just entered in a bazar in Maroc and started to play. It'd be a great single, followed by a great video.

ABOY: I can't hear Bono in the alternate version, but the instrumental kicks. IMO the best version is the single version, just perfect.

Sometimes: album version, naturally. The alternate is too... demo

Yahweh: as this is my favourite U2 song, the album version is better, those more discernible guitars give the feeling of description of a painting or something, mainly in the bridge, despite I think the alternate bridge has better lyrics.

Since you talked about Always, I think it'd be great too if it was on the album, but i'm happy with BD, that is sighly better. The same with LWTSH against The Fly or Ultraviolet... The lyrics killed Lady to be on the album.

Does anyone here know of the song Levitate? That would have actually sucked if that had replaced Elevation... I mean the chorus is o.k. (who can stop us now... who can make us wait... who can slow us down... make us hesitate) that part, but otherwise that song isn't that good. Still, the lyrics in ABOY alt version I think are much better.

As for Always, I think it's a good song, but no where near as good as BD... the lyrics are kind of strange (and always where a safety belt... always).

native son > vertigo
alt."all because of you" is better than the one on HTDAAB

xanax and wine > fast cars -----far more rockier, and Bono's falsetto:drool:

See, I hate that line that you just listed, LyricalDrug. The alt. All Because of You is far better than the album version...

Just to quickly jump back a few posts, I think Lady With the Spinning Head beats both The Fly and Ultraviolet, even though The Fly is one of my favorites!

Always and summer rain are both kinda crap in my opinion.
Also, much as I love Lady with The Spinning head, it isn't in the same league as either The Fly or Ultraviolet.

Back
Top Bottom