Mercy !! Edge Answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A song this good deserves to be polished up a bit and released on an album. I love the lyrics, love the intro, and if they change anything, maybe they could tinker with the middle / end sections.

I don't know how much stock I'd put into Edge's "it's not finished" comment, though. He could have meant anything. Maybe he didn't even know it had leaked, and wanted to discredit the pirated version by saying that it's raw / unfinished / unedited / unofficial, etc. This is what the band did with the stolen Achtung Baby sessions...

Roland of Gilead said:

I would also say, after hearing all of this (if it is in fact true), that at the very least, we'll have a B-side release. It will get out there in some official capacity of some sort.

Agreed. :yes:

Mercy is too flat of a song for me. It needs to change more throughout the song. So yes, more work to do on it before (if it is) release.

:shrug: Sorry my one yawn caused all of this discussion, though I stand by my point. Next time I'll substitute the yawn by writing a detailed description of exactly why I'm tired of hearing the "U2 screwed up with the last 2 albums" comments.

phillyfan26 said:
:shrug: Sorry my one yawn caused all of this discussion, though I stand by my point. Next time I'll substitute the yawn by writing a detailed description of exactly why I'm tired of hearing the "U2 screwed up with the last 2 albums" comments.

Chill man

It would be kind of funny if Bono got into shit from Edge because of this.

Anyway, if this is true, I'd be interested to see the end result. I don't think Mercy is half as good as nearly everyone claims it is. It needed work and it's good to hear that it's receiving it.

LyricalDrug said:

Yes, Bono leaked it.

:huh: Are you being sarcastic? Or do you seriously still believe that wildly inaccurate claim?

I mean, Utoo just debunked it. It's about the 10,000th time that claim has been debunked! So I hope you are being sarcastic and I've just missed it.

Last edited:
Axver said:

:huh: Are you being sarcastic? Or do you seriously still believe that wildly inaccurate claim?

I mean, Utoo just debunked it. It's about the 10,000th time that claim has been debunked! So I hope you are being sarcastic and I've just missed it.

Oh God, I still believed it. :lol: I haven't checked any Mercy threads in months and months and months. Just goes to show how little I care for the song.

Anyway, I bet that if they are working on this thing right now, they'll probably shorten it up a bit because it does seem to plod around and go nowhere. Hopefully Bono will patch up the lyrics and get rid of the "I feel nothing" line or change the delivery. Actually, I think that's one of the biggest things that turned me off about the song initially. The delivery just sounded...I don't know, whiny.

Axver said:

Oh, okay, maybe so then. I wasn't being sarcastic... in my often-hazy memory, U2SJ Girl was given a copy by Bono. To quote Adam Clayton, "I can't remember back that far."

But now that I think about it, even if Utoo's post a couple pages back is accurate, what are the chances that Bono would *personally tell her* to watch out for Mercy, and THEN, right afterwards, a "friend" randomly gives her the only copy ever of Mercy? Either Bono was involved, or God himself did it, lol... that's a little too magical to be coincidental.

LyricalDrug said:

But now that I think about it, even if Utoo's post a couple pages back is accurate, what are the chances that Bono would *personally tell her* to watch out for Mercy, and THEN, right afterwards, a "friend" randomly gives her the only copy ever of Mercy? Either Bono was involved, or God himself did it, lol... that's a little too magical to be coincidental.

Yeah, I definitely agree that the story is a bit odd. But if you look back at all the old posts from that time, that's what it shows. And when I'd emailed U2SJ last year, she confirmed it. I'd love to know how the "friend" got it. :hmm:

no not lying at all , i think he was surprised that somebody knew about it .

Well, information about the song isn't a state secret. The story has been published out there *pointing to the internet* as can the song in it's "unfinished" form.

Perhaps Edge was more surprised you'd want a quote about a song that isn't in the official catalog. hrmmmm...

Good question, btw. :wink:

love_u2_adam said:
I just WANTED to post in HERE cause i really LIKE the WAY you type....and to say:

it's 6 mins TO long as it IS!!!!!!!!

it's one of the only u2 songs i really don't like

all I WANT IS you LENGHT is 6:30
LEMON lenght is 6:56
MOFO lenght is 5:49

any OF these songs ARE amongst U2 longest, and THEY DO not FOLLOW strictly the USUAL structure of a pop SONG. Why WOULD MERCY follow TOO?

PS: maybe he writes with caps locks because it ressembles the back cover of Achtung Baby:confused: :shrug:

Aygo said:

PS: maybe he writes with caps locks because it ressembles the back cover of Achtung Baby:confused: :shrug:
[/

maybe or maybe i was just having a CAPS day . Oh and by the way LENGHT ????

abombdismantler said:
Aygo said:

[/

maybe or maybe i was just having a CAPS day . Oh and by the way LENGHT ????
I was kidding, mate! ;)
I was just trying to figure out the caps-lock thing and I remembered the AB back cover...

Am glad im providing amusement .. lol :: can somebody let me know how to post pictures ?? do i have to join flickr or something and then attach them from there ?? once i know how i will post some shots from the Corner Hotel of us sitting around up in the beer garden waiting , some shots of outside , the lyric sheet they gave out to us all so we could learn the words and sing along and a picture of the stamp they gave you to identify you as being part of the shoot and picture of wristband so it looked like a real gig

mandrake said:
Mercy is too flat of a song for me. It needs to change more throughout the song. So yes, more work to do on it before (if it is) release.

Yeah. There are virtually no dynamics in the song. It's the practically the same thing the whole way through. No climax, nothing. That sort of thing works well for short songs, but not ones that breaks the six minute mark. Longer songs need change, otherwise they just become dull.

Let's hope that Edge walked away from this conversation with the idea that long songs can be awesome planted firmly in his head. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

Yeah. There are virtually no dynamics in the song. It's the practically the same thing the whole way through. No climax, nothing. That sort of thing works well for short songs, but not ones that breaks the six minute mark. Longer songs need change, otherwise they just become dull.

There are dozens of U2 songs that are less dynamic and with no progression than Mercy. Mercy starts to explode in the middle, just after the 2nd chorus and the multiple bridges. What you people don't like is that Mercy does not respect the conventions of a usual U2 song and it has too much structures repeating themselves.

Back
Top Bottom