Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshua87

Acrobat
OK now that everyone hear has had plenty of time for Mercy to sink in, Im curious to know the thoughts about it. Do you think it will be released ever? A single? A classic? Personally this song has grown on me quite a bit lately. Ive been trying to make myself sick of it by listening to it over and over, but i just keep on liking it more and more!! It doesnt seem that earth-shattering, but yet it does sound completely different from most everything they have done before. If the next album follows this style, I think we're going to be in for what we have been waiting for: U2 making not great, but fan-fucking-tastic albums!

mercy..what is this...can someone please email it to me?
JUST KIDDING

is anyone else getting a tad bit annoyed at the incessant attention that a never released song has received

btw, this is not meant to be an attack on this thread :)

I love it! Loved it on the first listen and still love it now. I played it the other night while djing and had 6 people inquire about it. I think the song is getting so much attention here because people love it so much and don't understand why it isn't on the album.

Joshua87 said:

Well none of them deal with what I inquired about, so I think this thread is justifiable.

You surely can post whatever you'd like, I was just trying to be helpful. There is a thread that discusses what should happen to Mercy somewhere back several pages, and also the thread on page one about leaking it to radio has discussion about it more or less.

the first time i heard it, when the song hit the first chorus, i was crying in joy/extasy/amazement. i still love the song to death. it's so good! it's really long without being boring or repetative, which is the key to a really really good song. U2 have mad a fucking masterpiece.

I like it, but I dont think its as great as people make of it. The most overated song on the forum at the time.

Last edited:
macphisto23 said:
I like it, but I dont think its as great as people make of it. The most overated song on the board at the time.

Only because it isn't released. That's what I think anyways. If it was on HTDAAB everyone would love it still but there wouldn't be so much conversation about it.

I think Mercy in its current form is better than any song on Bomb. I really do hope it does see the light of day.

It's pretty good. Obviously Bono Edge Larry and Adam think they can do better, which is why they haven't released it yet. With that in mind, then, I've limited my listenings so I don't burn myself out if/when they finally do get around to releasing it.

While very encouraging in it's current form it still needs a lot of work, especially on the arrangement.

I believe it's strongest point is the lyrics which are some of Bono's best in years.

I still dont believe that version we hear is the one that was ready for the album & got left off (see HTDAAB preview article, Spin I think). I believe we have what must be an earlier demo of the track.

This would imply that they kept working on the track & still weren't satisfied with the result. I think it will definately be released. It's only a matter of time.

Loved it on first listen. Still love it now! I don't think it needs any further work, they seemed to have made an explosive song that just fills every nook and cranny with just the pounding drums and bass, and so little guitar tracks!

Awesome song, but something does seem off in the arrangment, though I couldn't explain what. As much as I love it, I doubt it will ever be more than what it is. Its been so widely downloaded and talked about that I doubt the band would want to do more with it.
Just curious... does anyone really hear it as a single. I think its a great song and better than some U2 singles, but it doesn't seem to be a song they would release as a single. It seems more in the vein of Acrobat.

I just wish I could feel the magic that everyone's going on about.

:sad:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful song. I just feel it...rambles a bit, in its current form. I like it because it's a bit more daring than anything on HTDAAB (with the exception of songs like Love And Peace Or Else) but I certainly don't rank it in my top ten. It has the potential to become something great, though. The vocals are very good.

Back
Top Bottom