McGuinness Announces Entire Catalog to be Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How far will they go?

All You Cant Leave Behind?

The sounds alright but I'm sure in hindsight they have some new ideas. But would it be worth it?

Might they make substantial changes to Pop?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

allow me to be the second on this side... i don't really get the whole drooling over remastering thing (much in the same way that i don't get what the hell the big deal is between getting a FLAC of some schmuck with a tape recorder's bootleg vs. an mp3 of the same schmucko's recording... maybe my ears just suck).

seems to me that the songs were pretty mind blowing when heard on a scratchy record... i don't find it any more mind blowing on CD then i did back then :shrug:

ok but does it not bother you a little when you play an older U2 CD after a CD made within the last 7 years and you have to turn up the volume?

the fanatic fans should get a discount towards all future remastered/special edition releases, since we all already bought them at least once... :shifty: Just my 2 cents :happy:

they should do a promo that, if you bring the original CD when you buy the remastered one, you should get at least some disccount...

pepokiss said:
they should do a promo that, if you bring the original CD when you buy the remastered one, you should get at least some disccount...

Hahaha what will they do with the old CDs? :p

I would suggest enjoying the remastered CD on a nice loud stereo system played off the uncompressed CD before ripping it to a 128kps audio file.

i haven't played a cd in ages anyways. everything's on the iPod or the laptop.

:scratch: I'm pretty sure you have turn up the volume even on itunes if something like Vertigo is followed by Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Zootlesque said:

:scratch: I'm pretty sure you have turn up the volume even on itunes if something like Vertigo is followed by Sunday Bloody Sunday.

:yes:

Play Exit and then ABOY back to back. :lol:

Zootlesque said:

Hahaha what will they do with the old CDs? :p

you didn't get it...

if you show up with the old CD is a proof that you already have it, so you're a fan.... you keep the original CD and buy the remastered with a good discount...

after all... he already thank us for the 500 pounds, so they know we have it :wink:

Zootlesque said:

:shrug: 'cause turning the friggin volume up or down a touch when the songs change is soooo hard to do.

look i'll listen to it eventually to see if it's just sooo much better that i must have it. but if the only thing you're selling me is the ability to not have to turn my volume up or down a bit then i still don't see the point in buying something i already own.

:shrug: 'cause turning the friggin volume up or down a touch when the songs change is soooo hard to do.

I never said it's hard to do. :huh: I'm just saying there is no difference when it comes to volume whether you change CDs or change the album on your iPod.

umm... no?

i haven't played a cd in ages anyways. everything's on the iPod or the laptop.

There should be a noticeable drop-off in volume. There are some settings on some players that try to compensate for it, but I don't *think* you can do it on an iPod.

It's not about volume anyway, it's about clarity. However, if you listen mostly through standard iPod earphones, then I wouldn't bother.

I wonder if they would maybe do some two-fers. Of course casual fans are interested in the JT remaster job, but I could see them packaging, say, Boy and October together. UF and WAIA? And isn't there a bunch of UF live stuff in the can that was recorded for a potential live album of that era.

Interested to see the timetable on these releases. It really could eat into the product cycles for actual new stuff.

Finally, it would be nice to see an extended UABRS release, complete with the DVD.

allow me to be the second on this side... i don't really get the whole drooling over remastering thing (much in the same way that i don't get what the hell the big deal is between getting a FLAC of some schmuck with a tape recorder's bootleg vs. an mp3 of the same schmucko's recording... maybe my ears just suck).

very very true! i remember visiting the music section at this forum and finding everyone wanting lossless bootlegs and wondering how the hell it would make a blind bit of difference if it was just some shitty audience recording?

Anyway about the remastering I'm one of the [i'm assuming] many U2 fans who have all the B-sides but have not bought most of the original singles - the only copies of the majority of U2's b-sides from the 80's i have are MP3s of up to 192kbps sound quality and over the years i've burned them to CDs and lost the MP3s so had to rip them from CDs again and i have a couple that just sound like total SHIT and I don't get round to downloading them again.

This rather garbled tale is the reason i'm really excited about the idea of getting all those tracks properly remastered on CD so I can listen to them through my headphones with perfect sound! :drool:

A by product will be a little more volume, but it is certainly not the reason they'd do it, nor the reason you'd buy it. It is entirely about clarity. About using space. You know how sometimes you listen to a song on a stereo, then on headphones, and suddenly you hear a guitar part or something you couldn't hear before on the open stereo? Think about it that way - U2 are going to unlock all those parts. Anything muddy or crunchy - gone. Anything delicate that is over-run by something bombastic - crystal clear now. If it was just volume do you think people would be at all excited? Of course not. People have been screaming for remastering for ages, with good reason. If it is done well, it will be like taking something 2D and turning it 3D.

Your favourite U2 song is just about to be way better.

ahittle said:
Finally, it would be nice to see an extended UABRS release, complete with the DVD.

oooh hadn't thought of that! That would be so awesome if they expanded the album bigtime and added more performances from the War Tour and included the complete Red Rocks concert! :drool:

gareth brown said:

very very true! i remember visiting the music section at this forum and finding everyone wanting lossless bootlegs and wondering how the hell it would make a blind bit of difference if it was just some shitty audience recording?

Anyway about the remastering I'm one of the [i'm assuming] many U2 fans who have all the B-sides but have not bought most of the original singles - the only copies of the majority of U2's b-sides from the 80's i have are MP3s of up to 192kbps sound quality and over the years i've burned them to CDs and lost the MP3s so had to rip them from CDs again and i have a couple that just sound like total SHIT and I don't get round to downloading them again.

This rather garbled tale is the reason i'm really excited about the idea of getting all those tracks properly remastered on CD so I can listen to them through my headphones with perfect sound! :drool:

gareth, your garbled tale is also the reason some people like lossless recordings, even if it's an audience bootleg. :wink: I'm not one of those, as I can't be bothered with storing lossless files, which are immense in size. However, a lot of traders want stuff traded in lossless because multiple trades, transfers to cd to mp3, etc., and email after email leave you with files that sound similar to the way you describe your b-side collection. The traders who want lossless don't want it to listen to things in lossless, it's for the endless trading/transferring.

[/:nerd:]

i'm actually pretty damn embarassed that I didn't manage to work that out myself actually!!! :( as a former music tech student i should be just guessing these by default, thanks for pointing that out

i'm a bit worried about the whole remastering aspect if they go and normalise/"maximise" everything like what is done to the majority of music these days in this bloody "loudness war", sure they'll have remastered it or whatever but if they just go and make it as loud as they can then what's the point if it's just going to clip and distort? Or am I getting paranoid? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom