Maybe this is the new direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
we all know u2 isn't satisfied with the result of pop. They want to fix the album. Maybe they are trying to say that they want to make that sort of music with enough time so the result is better than pop (for themselves of course). I don't want to start another pop thread (I love pop) but maybe it's when they say they want to FIX pop they are trying to say they want to make an album like pop (or so heavily experimental). OR they are trying to say that they will make such an experimental album that's like the difference between zoo-pop now is htdaab-new album.
I hope they are going into the studio and trying to fix pop and that doesn't work but they have all NEW pop songs.
It's just a thought....
sorry for my very good english

i Think they will complete the trylogy with ATYCLB-HTDAAB, U2's music has always been about trylogys and eras. With the next record im sure they will complete an era son maybe the 'Pop fixing' could wait some more years....

POP-ROMANCER said:
we all know u2 isn't satisfied with the result of pop. They want to fix the album. Maybe they are trying to say that they want to make that sort of music with enough time so the result is better than pop (for themselves of course). I don't want to start another pop thread (I love pop) but maybe it's when they say they want to FIX pop they are trying to say they want to make an album like pop (or so heavily experimental). OR they are trying to say that they will make such an experimental album that's like the difference between zoo-pop now is htdaab-new album.
I hope they are going into the studio and trying to fix pop and that doesn't work but they have all NEW pop songs.
It's just a thought....
sorry for my very good english

:hmm: that's an interesting thought...very interesting indeed...

okay as much as I want U2 to go in a new direction more than anything else I love Pop more than life itself so if they did an album in the same vein as Pop I sure as fuck wouldn't be complaining. I'd be jumping for joy. Of course, just because the songs sound like Pop doesn't mean they'll be good. Will U2 really want to go back almost 10 years ago? I doubt it. However, perhaps they can take the sound the created with Pop and bring it forward. Maybe they can create a whole new sound. MAYBE THEY CAN FIND A SOUND THAT'S GONNA DROWN OUT THE WORLD.

Nube Gris said:
i Think they will complete the trylogy with ATYCLB-HTDAAB, U2's music has always been about trylogys and eras. With the next record im sure they will complete an era son maybe the 'Pop fixing' could wait some more years....

Shit that means 3 bland albums then, and theres still another to sit through!:wink:

VERY true.

Still, I don't want another POP by any means. They've already done that. I desire no re-hashery whatsoever. I don't want Passengers II: Passenger This, Bitches!, even though it would sound quite different from most of U2's catalogue and what's out there, right now.

They've been there and done that, and I'd just like to see the page get turned (though not necessarily forgotten).

As for the theory, I'm not so sure. I'd wager a trilogy-completing album is probably more likely...even though considering this hypothetical text a trilogy (in the truest sense of the word), is like calling Bono a good guitarist: in-fucking-sane.

If you shout... said:
Passengers II: Passenger This, Bitches!

:laugh:

Yeah. I'm not asking for another Achtung, Pop or Zooropa either! Just give us something original and creative! Something mind-expanding, something experimental, something that's never been done before... not a re-hash of the classic Edge signature riff! Learn from Radiohead... please!

They'll always make an album they want to make. I dont want a Radiohead album from U2, neither do I want an album that sounds like their album that they did some 12-14 years ago, not even a hint of inspiration from it.

I think there is way too much fuss about experimentation and sounding different. I think its very pretentuous thing to do, expanding musical horizons is another thing. Artist should always be willing to expand his/her musical abilities.

Any artist should always make an album they believe in and that should be the sole motive, a music that speaks for them. Will it be great? Will it change the way things are done? Will it bring money? Will it be liked? should never be a factor.

I think every time U2 has been in the studio they have done that. Its just some fans of who think they are the keepers of the best taste in music fail to understand.

jacknife23 said:
I think there is way too much fuss about experimentation and sounding different. I think its very pretentuous thing to do, expanding musical horizons is another thing. Artist should always be willing to expand his/her musical abilities.

You know I think the word 'experimentation' is misread in here a lot. 'Experimentation' doesn't mean deliberately turning it on it's head for the sake of turning it on it's head. I think most people who want to hear 'experimentation' are really saying that they want to hear U2 expand their musical horizons, expand their abilities (at least that's what I mean). I think they simply mean, keep the foot on the accelerator. That's all. People fear the word 'experimentation' unnecessarily.

Nube Gris said:
i Think they will complete the trylogy with ATYCLB-HTDAAB, U2's music has always been about trylogys and eras.
I realise its pretty easy to stick the albums into era's consisting of 3 albums, but was that planned by the band, or did it just happen?

So anyway, I don't think they definately have to finish the trilogy.

Maybe it has more to do with time, than number of albums?
They spent three or four years (plus whatever came before Boy) with the B-O-W era, then changed to the UF-JT-R&H era for about six years. After that, they spent around seven or eight years in the AB-Z-P era.
They've already spent 5 years with ATYCLB-HTDAAB, so going on their pattern, I think we'll get a quickey album that fits in the trilogy, or a longer wait for a new era to begin.

I can't wait until they start experimenting again and you all start bitching about it and then start having second thoughts about ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Earnie Shavers said:

You know I think the word 'experimentation' is misread in here a lot. 'Experimentation' doesn't mean deliberately turning it on it's head for the sake of turning it on it's head. I think most people who want to hear 'experimentation' are really saying that they want to hear U2 expand their musical horizons, expand their abilities (at least that's what I mean). I think they simply mean, keep the foot on the accelerator. That's all. People fear the word 'experimentation' unnecessarily.

I think people are taking it too far on either side of things...to me HTDAAB sounds like U2 looking at their 80s stuff with a different perspective..it sounds different to me than their 80s stuff i don't see it as a straight forward rehash that some people make it out to me....i have not heard Edge repeat a riff from any of their 80s stuff yet...i think the guys have been expanding their abilities and horizons with songs such as A Man and A Woman, or Original of the Species.....The Joshua is just an expansion of what U2 started with The Unforgettable Fire...so again The Bomb expanded on ATYCLB, the next album is likely to be an interim sort of album that bridges whta happens between it and then the following one...Pop was the bridge between Zooropa and ATYCLB..so whatever the next album will be..it will be a mix of what was before and what is to come....

And there is very little that has not already been done before...Pop was nothing that had not been done before, Achtung was not greatly anything that had not been done before by anyone...really the only thing that hadn't been done before was U2s sound circa The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree and possibly Zooropa..if they try something they haven't doen before then that is fine...as long as they are doing what they want to do...and i don't want them to learn from Radiohead, they have done their really experimental in the extreme sense of it thing.

Personally all i really care about is whether the song is any good or not, whether it is an original song...otherwise i don't really care about the rest of it:shrug:

Zootlesque said:

Negative but mostly true. :lol:

No.

The source is one of the most musically ignorant posters on this board.

Have you ever heard of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, or Smokey Robinson?

Yes?

Well, RJ hasn't.

But he is an expert in saying things remind him of Bon Jovi.

MrBrau1 said:

No.

Yes?

Well, RJ hasn't.

RJ also thinks that X&Y is one of the best albums of the last 5 years. :giggle:

MrBrau1 said:

No.

Yes?

Well, RJ hasn't.

Just admit it, you love my posts!:wink:

To continue the theme of this thread. As I see it and the way U2 are heading, the next U2 album will hold no surprises. More of the same. Edge chopping and echoing away on his joshua tree inspired riffs, Larry and Adam slipping into the background with some pretty uninspired rhythm and Bono turning up now and again, probably less than on the recording sessions for the last 2 albums, in between his escapades to save the world with some bland and probably used before lyrics as he did on the last album(check cobl as a prime example, borrowing heavily from the past, a definite sign of having to rush his work). Yep, I reckon it will be one of their VERRRRRRY best albums, or a lot of the members on here will think so anyway!:wink:

Zootlesque said:

:laugh:

Yeah. I'm not asking for another Achtung, Pop or Zooropa either! Just give us something original and creative! Something mind-expanding, something experimental, something that's never been done before... not a re-hash of the classic Edge signature riff! Learn from Radiohead... please!

I'd rather U2 didn't "learn" from Radiohead...they're not half as experimental as their fanboys think.

rjhbonovox said:
To continue the theme of this thread. As I see it and the way U2 are heading, the next U2 album will hold no surprises. More of the same. Edge chopping and echoing away on his joshua tree inspired riffs, Larry and Adam slipping into the background with some pretty uninspired rhythm and Bono turning up now and again, probably less than on the recording sessions for the last 2 albums, in between his escapades to save the world with some bland and probably used before lyrics as he did on the last album(check cobl as a prime example, borrowing heavily from the past, a definite sign of having to rush his work). Yep, I reckon it will be one of their VERRRRRRY best albums, or a lot of the members on here will think so anyway!:wink:

How subtle was that ladies and gentlenmen. :applaud: :applaud: :giggle:

What truely is sad about RJ's situation is that he is a constant poster who hasn't liked the band for (maybe) 6 years, and who has absolutely no belief in the bands future....and yet enjoys that.

Get a life. Join a Coldplay website.

Last edited:
X&Y is just...ugh...it's the sound of a band who stumbled into massive success and has already sold their souls five years into their career. There are some good songs but overall...

RH's Hail To The Thief is much better.
Bomb is better too.

namkcuR said:
X&Y is just...ugh...it's the sound of a band who stumbled into massive success and has already sold their souls five years into their career. There are some good songs but overall...

RH's Hail To The Thief is much better.
Bomb is better too.

X and Y is a decent album and is as good as anything out there these days. Probably a bit over the top to say its a great album but in todays musical climate where everyone raves about mediocre groups such as Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs who I find pretty damn ordinary to say the least, Coldplays X and Y is a better than these. Its all relative really. X and Y doesn't stand up to great albums of the 90's such as Achtung Baby, OK Computer, Pop, Zooropa and The Bends and REM's Automatic and New Adventures in Hi Fi but in todays terms X and Y is about as good as you get from the groups around today and this includes U2's last 2 mediocre efforts and Radioheads Hail To The Thief.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

X and Y is a decent album and is as good as anything out there these days. Probably a bit over the top to say its a great album but in todays musical climate where everyone raves about mediocre groups such as Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs who I find pretty damn ordinary to say the least, Coldplays X and Y is a better than these. Its all relative really. X and Y doesn't stand up to great albums of the 90's such as Achtung Baby, OK Computer, Pop, Zooropa and The Bends and REM's Automatic and New Adventures in Hi Fi but in todays terms X and Y is about as good as you get from the groups around today and this includes U2's last 2 mediocre efforts and Radioheads Hail To The Thief.:wink:

No. Hail To The Thief is better than X&Y. As is Bomb. As is Arcade Fire's Funeral.

X&Y has a few songs on it that I like a lot - Speed Of Sound, X&Y, The Hardest Part are my favorites. But the album as a whole is overrated and not very ambitious.

namkcuR said:

No. Hail To The Thief is better than X&Y. As is Bomb. As is Arcade Fire's Funeral.

X&Y has a few songs on it that I like a lot - Speed Of Sound, X&Y, The Hardest Part are my favorites. But the album as a whole is overrated and not very ambitious.

Ambitious is not a word to describe HTDAAB, you could never ever describe songs such as Miracle Drug, COBL, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, AMAAW, Crumbs as ambitious, never! I would describe Hail as more ambitious than anything U2 have done on the past 2 albums. The only ambition U2 have these days is to be as popular and sell as much as they can, forgetting about the quality of their music in the process. I would not describe Radiohead as the same cos at least they are trying to be a bit different and not be bothered if it sells massive in the process. HTTT, though, falls short but is still a decent album.:wink:

There's a fair bit of plagiarism going on in X&Y...

*leaves thread quietly*

Yeah, like the guitar on "All Because of You" totally rips off Pete Townshend, the verses to "Fast Cars" sound just like the ones on the Police's "Canary In A Coalmine," and I could've sworn I heard the solo to "Crumbs From Your Table" somewhere before. Maybe a Coldplay song.

Wait, sorry, misread your post.

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:

Ambitious is not a word to describe HTDAAB, you could never ever describe songs such as Miracle Drug, COBL, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, AMAAW, Crumbs as ambitious, never!

Think harder!! Saving the world is pretty ambitious. HTDAAB shows the path that Bono has taken and is taking regarding his world-saving endeavors. HTDAAB is also a kind of blueprint for world coexistence. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that the album is almost too ambitious with its big ideas and big songs.

typhoon said:
Yeah, like the guitar on "All Because of You" totally rips off Pete Townshend, the verses to "Fast Cars" sound just like the ones on the Police's "Canary In A Coalmine," and I could've sworn I heard the solo to "Crumbs From Your Table" somewhere before. Maybe a Coldplay song.

Wait, sorry, misread your post.

oh, zing.

Ooh, a thread about the new album turned into a coldplay-thread. hmm.......
I think bono is too much about saving the world these days.
And right after I think that, I feel like a complete asshole because let's face it, there is a whole lot of stuff to save.
Better rock'n'roll vs. a better world..
Am I tired?
Am I evil? :scream:

namkcuR said:

so true.

i like u2.

Back
Top Bottom