May 30 2001 - Detroit - Bono - Shame on you!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Although this sounds like it was a great concert, I have just been made sick to my stomach as Bono sings part of Eminem's song in the end of Bullet the Blue Sky.

If I am wrong please let me know - but I think this was just tacky. Eminem is no role model and to sing his song just because the are in the city he is from is a shallow attempt at connecting.

Shame.

Especially after the opening had the NRA opening and Eminem has been in trouble with the law concerning guns.

Shame.

I was at that show, and I thought it was hilarious!!!!! Eminem is from the Detroit area.

Is it the 'pull the trigger rock 'n' roll ******' line that Bono does? Think that's actually Patti Smith or someone.

Jo

u2elevatejo said:
Is it the 'pull the trigger rock 'n' roll ******' line that Bono does? Think that's actually Patti Smith or someone.

Jo

Yep - that's a Patti Smith song. :)

NO NO NO

He sings the stupid Slim Shady song "...please stand up, please stand up..."

The only thing is this:

The words he sings right before "please stand up" are in audible to me, so if he is indeed mocking Eminem, fine, if he is paying some kind of respect to him, then,

SHAME!!!!

:scratch: I was at this show, and I don't remember this...However, I do have a recording of it so I'll have to go listen.

Yeah, Eminem is from the Detroit area, so that's probably why.

Edit: Okay, just listened...I wouldn't make too much out of it. Seems more like a humorous thing or a "because he's from here" thing to me.

Last edited:
I don't think Bono would be paying respect to him and in the context of the song.. but really - everyone deserves respect 'whatever' they've done, 'whoever' they are.

Love or hate Eminem - he's written some pretty good songs. Stan is brilliant.

Jo

u2elevatejo said:
Love or hate Eminem - he's written some pretty good songs. Stan is brilliant.

Jo

I used to absolutely hate Eminem. still don't care for him too much, but I agree with you. Stan is a great song! :up:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Er, I was at the show and remember that part. It was nothing to get all excited over. :scratch:

The part we should have gotten pissed about was when he thought Detroit was in Ohio! :lol:

Yeah...the Eminem part was funny, but the Detroit, Ohio thing made me go, WTF?? *lol* :D

Dad is still convinced that Bono meant Detroit AND Ohio.....he says Bono wouldn't screw up like that....*lol* I tell Dad that makes no sense, but I can't change his mind. :D

I don't exactly think Bono meant to flatter Eminem. It was like "oh, yeah, local kid"........I don't know, I wasn't there. But this is the first I've ever heard of this.

Sounds more like a joke than an homage. Kind of like how he said "my mammy!" a few times in Miami.

ouizy said:
Although this sounds like it was a great concert, I have just been made sick to my stomach as Bono sings part of Eminem's song in the end of Bullet the Blue Sky.

If I am wrong please let me know - but I think this was just tacky. Eminem is no role model and to sing his song just because the are in the city he is from is a shallow attempt at connecting.

Shame.

Especially after the opening had the NRA opening and Eminem has been in trouble with the law concerning guns.

Shame.

Good Lord, lighten up. It was absolutely no big deal. Somehow I doubdt Bono is or would be feeling ANY shame about any of this. The shame is that this thread generated 17 responses! lol
You can tell we are between albums and tours! Nothing better to talk about. But somehow I think there has got to be something better to talk about than something this stupid

Last edited:
Robert Hilburn, the long time L.A. Times rock critic, has an online question and answer column, and this just happened to appear in last week's column:

A reader's question to Hilburn:
I'm aghast at your listing Eminem among rock's MVPs. While I don't deny that he is a quick-witted firestarter, I shudder to think of him sitting at a table and having lunch with Bob Dylan and John Lennon. And while Lennon certainly wrote and recorded "The Ballad of John and Yoko," he never wrote a whole album full of intensely self-referential songs. Yes, "Plastic Ono Band" is the big primal scream, and it's all about "John," but at no point do I feel alienated from the music by Lennon's self-obsession. Eminem seems to (especially of late) regurgitate the things that intellectual music and culture critics have said about him. And while it's true that we are all the stars of our own shows, how can you find "The Eminem Show" relevant when his one and only topic seems to be, explicitly, himself and the reaction to his last album and tour? He's dating himself with a vengeance! I know we're all hungry to find a "modern Dylan," and maybe we think that is the person who is out there doing the most shocking stuff?

RH: I understand the debate over Eminem, and I'm not sure anyone is fit to sit with Dylan at a dinner table as a creative equal, but I think John Lennon would have enough flexibility and intellectual curiosity to enjoy meeting Eminem. The problem is that some of Eminem's music is so needlessly crude. But some of it is brilliant and revealing. Start with "Stan" on his last album and listen to the pain in "Cleaning Out My Closet" on the new album. My daughter, who has children of her own, thinks "Closet"--a song about a young man's rage about the lack of love he received from his mother--was so moving that she cried. I actually think Lennon and Eminem would connect on some level--the same way I think Bono could connect with both of them.

Last edited:
I was just listening to the boot of this show and made a comment about it in my opinion. That's all.

Gee *Wolverine*, you seemed to have replied to this thread you deem stupid, and "what a bomb!" is there something you would like to say to me?

Gee *Wolverine*, you seemed to have replied to this thread you deem stupid, and "what a bomb!" is there something you would like to say to me? [/B][/QUOTE]

I only looked at the thread because I was at the show. LOL, you are right though, I feel dirty for replying! Wait a minute, I'am doing it again!

logging off to go take a shower

Mirrorball Girl said:

I'm with you, BC. He definitely screwed up!

So he thought Detroit was in Ohio...Or he was saying "Detroit in Ohio" but meant to say "and"? I dunno...but I'll have to listen again!

Eh...

So he sang a part of an Eminem song...I don't mind that. I actually don't mind Eminem's music. I agree, "Stan" is an excellent song, to whoever said that.

Yeah, some of his music may offend some people-so they don't have to listen to it. I personally feel that practically everything I've heard by Eminem is nothing more than satire in the first place, so...I don't take it all that seriously.

The concert was in Detroit, Eminem's from there, so...*shrugs*. It's the band's show, they'll sing what they want to sing.

Angela

Okay, doesn't anyone get the IRONY, here!!?? To me it seems quite obvious that Bono is using a juxtaposition of ideas in order to make a statement. Think about it: by using a reference to Eminem -- someone who in many ways promotes violence -- in a song against violence ('Bullet The Blue Sky'), Bono is simply making you think a little bit. Has everyone forgotten what ZooTV was all about already??? Sheesh. Shame on YOU!!!;)

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
Robert Hilburn, the long time L.A. Times rock critic, has an online question and answer column, and this just happened to appear in last week's column:

A reader's question to Hilburn:
I'm aghast at your listing Eminem among rock's MVPs. While I don't deny that he is a quick-witted firestarter, I shudder to think of him sitting at a table and having lunch with Bob Dylan and John Lennon. And while Lennon certainly wrote and recorded "The Ballad of John and Yoko," he never wrote a whole album full of intensely self-referential songs. Yes, "Plastic Ono Band" is the big primal scream, and it's all about "John," but at no point do I feel alienated from the music by Lennon's self-obsession. Eminem seems to (especially of late) regurgitate the things that intellectual music and culture critics have said about him. And while it's true that we are all the stars of our own shows, how can you find "The Eminem Show" relevant when his one and only topic seems to be, explicitly, himself and the reaction to his last album and tour? He's dating himself with a vengeance! I know we're all hungry to find a "modern Dylan," and maybe we think that is the person who is out there doing the most shocking stuff?

RH: I understand the debate over Eminem, and I'm not sure anyone is fit to sit with Dylan at a dinner table as a creative equal, but I think John Lennon would have enough flexibility and intellectual curiosity to enjoy meeting Eminem. The problem is that some of Eminem's music is so needlessly crude. But some of it is brilliant and revealing. Start with "Stan" on his last album and listen to the pain in "Cleaning Out My Closet" on the new album. My daughter, who has children of her own, thinks "Closet"--a song about a young man's rage about the lack of love he received from his mother--was so moving that she cried. I actually think Lennon and Eminem would connect on some level--the same way I think Bono could connect with both of them.

Thanks for the Hillburn reference. I was just rereading sections of Bill Flanagan's "Until the End of the World" and he mentions that Hillburn is one critic that Bono pays attention to. I think he says that Hillburn has remained as part of Bono's conscience over the years.

Back
Top Bottom