Maxim's 20 Most Annoying Songs Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
20. Hey Baby- No Doubt
19. We Like To Party!- Vengaboys
18. The Girl Is Mine- Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney
17. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)- The Proclaimers
16. This Kiss- Faith Hill
15. Who Let The Dogs Out- Baha Men
14. It's A Small World- Disney
13. Secret Garden (Jerry Maguire Remix)- Bruce Springsteen
12. Vertigo- U2
"Hello, hello (Hola!)." When you can make The Joshua Tree, you're held to a higher standard. The only thing more baffling than the discovery that Bono speaks Spanish... kind of... was the realization that U2 absolutely adores this tune, using it to open and close shows. Be careful, boyos, lest ye go the way of R.E.M.
Low Point: Uno, dos, tres... catorce!
11. Nookie- Limp Bizkit
10. Pray- MC Hammer
9. Trapped In The CLoset, Chapters 1-5- R.Kelly
8. Tom's Diner- Suzanne Vega
7. With Arms Wide Open- Creed
6. Electric Boogie- Marcia Griffiths
5. Wannabe- Spice Girls
4. Wonderful Christmas Time- Paul McCartney
3. My Heart Will Go On- Celine Dion
2. Your Body Is A Wonderland- John Meyer
1. Hollaback Girl- Gwen Stefani

the article comes complete with a picture of Bono and Edge drinking champagne, along with the caption "As usual, they won't share with Adam and Larry"

:lmao: good shit.

this month's issue is chock filled with u2 references...

in a little side bar of 10 art related items that allegedly caused someone to kill included...

Exit- Robert John Bardo claimed that U2's eerie Joshua Tree track inspired him to gun down My Sister Sam star Rebecca Schaeffer

and in the "11 Most Spinal Tap Moments In Rock" article U2 comes in at # 9 with...
#9. U2's Lemon Goes Sour (1997)- When U2's PopMart tour hit Oslo, Norway, the band was supposed to emerge from a 35-foot lemon. But, like Tap's own Derek Smalls' alien pod, the fickle fruit refused to open. Why? We blame Africa.

the issue also includes an interview with Mick Jagger that reveals to us that Charlie Watts loves Eminem's last CD.

Funny about the champagne thing. Anyway, I think Vertigo is a very good tune. Sure it's not the best thing they've ever written or will write but it is that "catchy first single" and is better than the catchy first singles on the last two albums - Discotheque and Beautiful Day.

AND FINALLY, Vertigo x2 in Europe was awesome! Anyone who wasn't there can't comment.

found another U2 reference...

there's a section of music star endorsed clothing items that maxim thinks are cool or somethin' towards the back of the magazine... the "Camelot shirt" and Nicklow tee" by Edun are featured in here.

see... they can make fun and promote at the same time, while giving us tons of hot half naked chicks to look at.

maxim ;up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i almost didn't post this because i knew there would be people who take this stuff waaaaay too serious and try to defend the song instead of just getting a good chuckle... but eh... fuck it... i posted it anyways.

If this is meant in good fun, so be it. I'd have to read the entire article. However, if there are any serious overtones then :mad: . I'm so sick of hearing how great JT is - it's a good album, but has lots of crap on it and is far from U2's best. But as you said, if this is in fun, that good stuff. Pseudo-Spanish is always a treat! :yes:

That said, I can think of about 100000 more annoying songs than "Vertigo" and what's on that list. But I guess it was a slow and uninspiring month for Maxim. They should have deleted the article and showed more half-dressed women. :up:

doctorwho said:

If this is meant in good fun, so be it. I'd have to read the entire article. However, if there are any serious overtones then :mad: . I'm so sick of hearing how great JT is - it's a good album, but has lots of crap on it and is far from U2's best. But as you said, if this is in fun, that good stuff. Pseudo-Spanish is always a treat! :yes:

That said, I can think of about 100000 more annoying songs than "Vertigo" and what's on that list. But I guess it was a slow and uninspiring month for Maxim. They should have deleted the article and showed more half-dressed women. :up:

What 'lots of crap' are you talking about on JT?!

doctorwho said:
That said, I can think of about 100000 more annoying songs than "Vertigo" and what's on that list.
that's the problem when you have a magazine like this write a list like that. look at the list. out of those 20 songs, how many of those are more than five years old? and how many of these were not hugely popular songs?

to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all when shit like this happens. i'm used to bands i like getting negative press. one of my favourite bands made blender's worst bands ever list. (and no, it wasn't duran duran.) i just put blinders on and now i'm at the point where if someone i like gets slammed in the press, i can have a chuckle and point out "ooh look, they got their facts wrong there..." or god forbid, agree with a point here and there. any press is good press i say.

the 20th "Most wanted/hated" lists come often and go. So do magazines. I never spend money buying them, no, no, no...I steal them from my local barber or the local library! LOL
Most of the crap written on there is for people to pass the time, when they are waiting for the local bus to arrive. It´s filled with useless crap and girly pictures of women who are now 45 years old. Some of those pictures have been around the internet since 1993 !!! AAAAHAHAAHAHA!!!

DON´T ANYONE GO BELIEVING IN ANY OF THAT CRAP !!

Vertigo is a great (sing-a-long) song!
All the monkeys at my local zoo love it!! AND so do I.

Now for that thing about Gwenny with "Nº 1. Hollaback Girl- Gwen Stefani", being a bad song...That´s bad....really bad. BUT she deserves it, or at least the song does.
That´s the last song convicts on death row have to listen to, before they get fried in the electric chair. I pity them, not for the electric chair...but having to listen to that song by Gwen. LOL

What's the deal with the "lest ye go the way of REM?" What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Vertigo is definately not annoying.:mad: Anyways, i have no objection to the rest of the list(especially hollaback girl)

12. Vertigo- U2Quote:
"Hello, hello (Hola!)." When you can make The Joshua Tree, you're held to a higher standard. The only thing more baffling than the discovery that Bono speaks Spanish... kind of... was the realization that U2 absolutely adores this tune, using it to open and close shows. Be careful, boyos, lest ye go the way of R.E.M.
Low Point: Uno, dos, tres... catorce!

I agree 1000 percent.
yes, one thousand.

corianderstem said:
What's the deal with the "lest ye go the way of REM?" What the hell is that supposed to mean?

i do believe it means nobody buys R.E.M. records anymore and their popularity is a fraction of what it once was... not that i care, i like 'em anyway... but facts are facts.

anyhoo... some of the people here crack me up. they get so friggin uptight anytime anything negative is said/written about u2. lighten up... the article's funny.

Oh ... okay, that REM line seems so obvious now. I thought they were saying that REM starts and finishes with the same song in concert. Or can't count or something.

Oh well. They still put on a great show, anyway.

Well, it's not like Maxim is a music magazine. I don't think this list is meant to be taken that seriously.

And it WAS stupid for U2 to play Vertigo twice during concerts. It's not 1980 anymore, guys, you have lots and lots of great songs to choose from.

Well apart from Vertigo, that list is pretty much spot on!

Good to see 'your body is a wonderland' by John Mayer up there. It's funny how some people absolutely adore that song, while others are able to see it as the cheesy, repulsive shit that it is!

No U2 song really should be a list of top 20 most annoying songs, there's way more annoying crap out there!

jonnytakeawalk said:
Well apart from Vertigo, that list is pretty much spot on!

Good to see 'your body is a wonderland' by John Mayer up there. It's funny how some people absolutely adore that song, while others are able to see it as the cheesy, repulsive shit that it is!

Clearly just an opinion. :wink:

anyhoo... some of the people here crack me up. they get so friggin uptight anytime anything negative is said/written about u2. lighten up... the article's funny.

The funny thing here is the writers of this article took the whole song too seriously. I can recall plenty posts of people who liked Vertigo finish, too.

I think they covered that base by saying "when you can make the Joshua Tree, you are held to a higher standard".

There are other frivalous pop songs on the list. U2 is probably the most esteemed artist on the list, shows you how some people think of that song.

No they didn't. U2 always had less serious songs in their catalogue - JT had Trip through your wires which is hardly brain surgery or uber serious.

They didn't take these songs seriously, that's the point I am making. Look at the list. I don't think they took Vertigo any more serious than Wannabe or other crap on the list.

They are saying "U2 you are better than this, c'mon"

That's all they are saying. With a qualative, "you guys made JT" meaning, to me at least "this may not be as bad as the others, but for a group like U2 it is" That's what I took it to mean.

Maxim writes most of their shit with tongue in cheek or a smart arse comment, the last thing they do is consider themselves hard biting criticism.

U2 has always had less than serious songs. I don't think they ever said "U2 finally made a throwaway song". I think they were just saying that it's annoying and "U2 can do better".

That's all I was getting at.

Back
Top Bottom