Mandela?s Satellite of Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
U2 com has now some details on this upcoming concert scheduled for February 2nd, in South Africa. See below.

Satellite Of Love

Bono is set to participate by satellite in Nelson Mandela's Robben Island concert, raising funds for Africa's millions of AIDS victims.

Former South African President Mandela announced this weekend that he will host a concert in February featuring some of the world's leading entertainers to raise funds to fight the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Africa. Macy Gray and Shaggy are other early names lined up for the show which will be held on Robben Island, a rocky outcrop off the coast of Cape Town where Mandela spent nearly two decades as a prisoner of the apartheid regime and which is now a museum.

'Mandela SOS' will take place on 2nd February, and be televised worldwide. Mandela was joined at the launch by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Oprah Winfrey, Virgin Group founder Richard Branson and Diesel President and founder Renzo Rosso.

'HIV/AIDS is not only a health issue but has risen to become a human rights crisis,' said President Mandela. 'I am asking each person in every country not to be silent witnesses to this devastation but to answer our SOS by raising both awareness and the vital funds necessary to fight and win against this disease.'

Mandela, 84, one of the world's most revered figures, emerged from prison to become South Africa's first democratic president in 1994. He stepped down in 1999 and has since become a vocal activist in the fight against AIDS.

'The concert will focus on the growing impact that AIDS has on human life, not only in South Africa but throughout the world,' said President Mandela. 'We must never allow those who are infected and affected by AIDS to become statistics.'

Bono has just completed a week-long speaking tour in the US to raise awareness about the growing AIDS crisis in Africa. More on this trip and on DATA - stands for Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa - the campaigning organisation he has helped found here. www.datadata.org

Africa has been hit harder by HIV/AIDS than any other region of the world. More than 17 million have died from the disease and another 28.1 million are infected with HIV. Currently there are 11 million AIDS orphans in Africa and without urgent action there may be more than 25 million by the end of this decade.

'I am certain we will overcome this epidemic," said Archbishop Tutu, who was also a leading anti-apartheid activist. 'We overcame apartheid, we will overcome AIDS.'

Tickets will be free and distributed by competition and lottery (details of which will be announced later) and 100% of all funds raised will go directly to the following charities:-

The Nelson Mandela Foundation
UNAIDS
Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights
Robben Island Museum

Now I?m wondering...Could this big event be a sort of Live Aid II? Or I?m just being nostalgic here? ;)

all roads lead to South Africa..?

I like dreamin'

The long and unjust imprisonment of Nelson Mandela on Robben Island is a tragic part of recent human history...as is the situation that has led to so many now suffering in Africa. I pray the concert raises awareness, hope and money. When I was a kid I read Armand Denis and Willard Price books and dreamed of going to Africa. It was a place of such richness, particularly rich in human strength and diversity. How dare it be left in such devastation in such a short space of time. Their wealth and culture was stolen...it's time to give it back. Go Bono & Co. Thanks for the effort.
My young friend has just been surfing in the Australian Junior Titles in West Australia. The World Titles will be in South Africa( Jeffrey's Bay, one of the places on the planet I have long wanted to visit) and Bali. I told her mum I'd be there. :drool:just dreaming..I doubt any of us will be there.

11 million orphans....what an indictment. I've just been on a journey north and seen such disgusting displays of consumerism and lack of concern for the future, for anything except accumulation of wealth, my old heart was almost overwhelmed. Thanks for reminding me once again follower...of the real people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom