Make your case for a "stadium" tour.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If U2 wants to tour by 2004, they should release an album by November this year. They need to check the buzz of the album first and let that help them decide their tour sched.

U2 released POP too late, too close to the tour, and they already booked the smaller cities for the third leg. Maybe U2 anticipated POP would be all that. But POP fizzled, and U2 had no choice but to go on a play to empty stadiums. Even the second night, San Diego, there were so many empty seats.

U2 have learned from their POP fiasco with ATYCLB. They didn't overbook and added some shows when they saw there was a demand. After the 9/11 tragedy, U2 realized that their album had a new life, a cult following -- so they did the best thing and added dates to cash in on 9/11.

With the new U2 album, I am sure U2 will release it early so they can study the market and make their touring plans flexible.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Exactly. If U2 do in fact release the album in March of 2004, which seems to be the general prediction, then I bet that Joe Hearily's thought of either May or September will turn out to be more towards September of next year. Maybe sometime in the summer, like July at the eariliest. But the demand for the public to see U2 has to be closely examined. I'm sure they have experts working on this right now. Wish I was one! I'd at least make them tour Columbus, Cleveland, Lexington and Indianapolis not in the same week, therefore spreading out the demand in areas where they aren't as popular.

Blue Room

"Elevation didnt even sellout every single show it was arenas only."

Actually this is incorrect from a techinical perspective. The Elevation tour did sellout every ticket that it put on sale, even in St. Louis and Kansas City. Yes, behind the stage seating was not used in those markets, and one could purchase tickets up until show time, but every ticket that was put on sale was sold.

To those arguing about the difficulty of playing Stadiums and Arena's, thats exactly what U2 did on the Joshua Tree tour.

Its difficult to precisely say what demand will be like in 2004. But even if it was as low as the POPMART tour, U2 would be able to do a couple dozen Stadium shows in North America alone. It most likely will be higher than POPMART, increasing the number of Stadiums that will be able to be played.

If the tour does not start until August and September 2004, the band may play Europe first and then do North America in the Spring of 2005. If the album is a hit, by Spring 2005, stadiums in most markets at the correct price would be easy to do.

Blue Room said:

Well, they did 3 stadium type shows for Elevation, Slane 1, 2 and Turin Italy. From what I have heard those 3 shows were 3 of the best of the tour.

And don't forget the Netherlands! ;) The Gelredome is a small football stadium (35,000 people) and even though it has a roof, it still is a stadium.

C ya!

Marty

I have seen some of the Slane concert. It looked so awesome! I just kept thinking "this is how the Elevation tour should've been". It was great. I don't like that Spring 2005 analogy very well. But I'll wait as long as I have to. The first step, of course, would be getting the album. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Blue Room said:

Well, they did 3 stadium type shows for Elevation, Slane 1, 2 and Turin Italy. From what I have heard those 3 shows were 3 of the best of the tour. Seems to have been a pretty good transfer. Also, the Stones did this on their last tour with no problems at all. So I'am sure U2 will have no problem making the same transitions. Its all about the stage design in that respect anyway.

AH yeah that's what I was going to mention as well- I know this was done successfully (and the pictures look awesome of the outdoor Elevation!). I know U2 can be pretty anal about the details of their show so I wasn't sure if the one-day-arena-next-day-stadium sort of tour would throw them off (as opposed to only 4 of the European shows being stadiums). But, if it's the best way then I'm sure they'll figure out how to do it.

Jick, you are incorrect on one major point. To plan a large world tour the planning begins well before the tour begins, most times at least a year. So there is no way they can wait to see how the album does and then schedule the tour. It doesnt work that way. Now a 3rd leg can be done that way. Thats why I indicated that if all goes very well, 2005 would be mainly stadiums before. But the 1st and 2nd legs would need to be planned well before the album release.

I dont think alot of you realize the planning and logistics involved with a major tour like this. U2's touring staff runs like a well oiled machine for the most part and it is because of the pre planning that is done well in advance. In fact, Dennis Sheehan (or any other tour manager) generally does an inspection or scouting at least 6 months to a year prior to the tour of each location and venue to determine how U2 will travel there, get in and out of the venue, and to ensure they will have adequate security. It cant be done just on the spur of the moment, at least not an entire tour. It really is quite impressive when you look at all that is involved and how coordinated everything is.

Again, I say, it is all tentative at this point. Nothing is set other than they plan to tour. But they are discussing and shaping what they want to do and what is feasible for the tour and YES stadiums are part of that discussion.

Last edited:
I dont think alot of you realize the planning and logistics involved with a major tour like this. U2's touring staff runs like a well oiled machine for the most part and it is because of the pre planning that is done well in advance. In fact, Dennis Sheehan (or any other tour manager) generally does an inspection or scouting at least 6 months to a year prior to the tour of each location and venue to determine how U2 will travel there, get in and out of the venue, and to ensure they will have adequate security. It cant be done just on the spur of the moment, at least not an entire world tour.

This is true, hoever I disagree with the band's ability to play a stadium show after an arena show or vice versa.

The band is well versed in touring and would have no problem doing this.

As far as the outdoor shows go, we have to remember the Slane shows were NOT stadium shows, but outdoor festival-like shows.

The only true stadium outdoor show on Elevation was Turin. They did play an outdoor show in Germany, and then there was the monstrosity of Slane which is different in that the logistics of that or any other festival is much greater in scale (toilets/food/hospital etc.) Most of these amenities come with the venue.

I have to go back to the Stones as example, but there is no way Mark Fisher and Willie Williams have not put into the heads of the band or its management that a multi-type venue tour cannot be done...

I disagree, stadium shows and festival shows are alike in the type of stage used and number of people. That is what we are talking about here.

And I agree, the band could pull a tour off like this easily, I have said that all the way through, so maybe that wasnt directed at me.

Like Popmartijn already mentioned, the Arnhem shows were STADIUM shows. Not only Turin! Turin has more seats, but both are soccer stadiums with a big GA floor.

I could not sell my $130 extra ticket to one of the Denver Elevation shows. It was in the friggin' second row by the tip of the heart. I posted it for sale everywhere I could think of. I ate those $130 buckeroos and wish I'd just given the ticket to the bellboy at the hotel. Anyway, I don't think they can sell out stadiums in every market in the US.

That said, I can give you a reason why you should go to a stadium show if that's what they decide to do. One damn good reason:

there's power in numbers

One of my most intense U2 concerts was ZooTV Yankee stadium in a so-so seat. The crowd energy was something akin to ecstatic. Of course I'd already seen the show 4x in arenas so I had already had an up-close-and-more-personal experience, but still I was blown away by how powerful 70,000 people can be. BUT, there's no guarantee, of course, that a stadium show next year would generate the same kind of energy as ZooTV.

While I have no doubt they could fill stadiums, (they filled arenas 4 times in some cities!) I hope they don't. Why? Greedy reasons. I got spoiled by the closeness and accessibility of the band in Elevation. I don't know I'd spend all that money and drive miles out of town if I had to stare at the band like bugs with binoculars. Of course it might be the best thing for the band, but I bet other fans feel the same way I do. I'd still see them once, but that's it. It wouldn't be as fun as the GA arenas. The chance to be close to the band might not mean anything to some but it does to me. "Intimate" is the word I'm looking for.

joyfulgirl,

You could have sold that ticket for 300 dollars in Philadelphia and Washington DC. Was it one ticket or several? Did you try to sell the tickets for a smaller price, like 40 dollars or 60 dollars?

In a stadium, your going to have lower ticket prices, which makes more people in any city more interested in the concert. Only dedicated fans, are really going to pay 130 dollars for a ticket to see an artist.

On the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tour, U2 played Arena's in Denver. For ZOO TV, they filled Mile High Stadium up with 55,000 in attendence. For POPMART there was only 28,000 in attendence. If Elevation had been a Stadium show, I think U2 could have done about 40,000 at Mile High Stadium with a single ticket price of 60 dollars.

STING2 said:
joyfulgirl,

You could have sold that ticket for 300 dollars in Philadelphia and Washington DC. Was it one ticket or several? Did you try to sell the tickets for a smaller price, like 40 dollars or 60 dollars?

You're probably right about Philly & DC (and NYC) but I would never have done that. I had some strikes against me--it was a single seat, in Denver (not exactly the rabid U2 population--or concert-going population in general-- that you get in the Northeast, despite their early success there), it was snowing, and it was the 3rd leg. Had it been the first leg, I definitely could've sold it. I did get to the point of 'just make me an offer' but no takers. I did not put as much energy into it as perhaps I should have and probably gave up too easily. But to me it did say something that I could not sell an incredible seat to a U2 show.

I just wouldn't quite understand the reasoning behind a decision to do a stadium tour at this point in their career, but I would definitely go to the show. ZooTV Outside Broadcast worked (and PopMart outside the US) because it was a huge extravaganza. Another stripped-down show like Elevation done in a stadium would be ... weird. But I'd be there with bells on. Maybe they want to do a BIG show again. That would be fun. :)

STING2 said:
joyfulgirl,
On the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tour, U2 played Arena's in Denver. For ZOO TV, they filled Mile High Stadium up with 55,000 in attendence. For POPMART there was only 28,000 in attendence. If Elevation had been a Stadium show, I think U2 could have done about 40,000 at Mile High Stadium with a single ticket price of 60 dollars.

One thing to not be forgotten, however, is that U2 sold 40,000 tickets in Denver on Elevation anyway, with the expensive tickets. Granted, the two shows were 6 months apart, but both shows sold out the day they went on sale. If U2 would've charged $60, $40 and $30 for tickets, they definately would've been able to fit over 50,000 in mile high. If the prices are lower, and the band is hot at the moment (which U2 was in the summer of 2001), and the promotion is right, things like this are possible.

I also forgot to add that not only did U2 sell 55,000 tickets for Mile High Stadium in 1992, but earlier that year, they also played a sold out show at the McNicholas Arena, the same arena that they played in Rattle and Hum. I'd guess that to be about 15,000 or so. So actually, they sold 70,000 tickets in Denver in 1992. They sold 40,000 in 2001, but they could've done more. 1997 was just not their year.

The thing about this is....sellout shows create a buzz....which lead to more sold out shows. Because people feel like they might miss out on something. When the word was getting around about Popmart not selling well, many casual fans probably thought "eh, U2 are washed up and over....no point paying money to beat a dead horse." So get as many people as you can to buy tickets. Be a pimp!

Actually, U2 did not play McNicholas Arena on the ZOO TV tour. When U2 played McNicholas Arena, on the Elevation tour in 2001, it was the first time they had played there since November 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour. Footage from those two shows were used in Rattle And Hum.

U2 didn't play the McNicholas Arena in Elevation. They played in the Pepsi Center, which is a new arena that holds 20,000, from what Willie's diary said.

Ahhhh, I just thought the Pepsi Center was McNicholas with a corperate name. So U2 has not played McNicholas Arena since the November 8, 1987 show.

One of my most intense U2 concerts was ZooTV Yankee stadium in a so-so seat. The crowd energy was something akin to ecstatic.

Me too, (but I was in the front row of that show)

:wink:

Last edited:
They will do a stadium tour if the album does well (ATYCLB-like or better, and a GOOD first single) IMO, though I wonder how they'd come up with something matching or topping Zoo TV.

Having said that, I think it's too bad Elevation wasn't stadiums. I think they could have done well with the momentum they had then.

Let?s see ? U2 may release the new album early in 2004 ? Tour North America during the Spring ? Tour Europe (including Russia) during the Summer ? (maybe comeback to North America to tour the Domes in the Fall) Tour Central and South America in December ? take off January / put the final touches on another new album / release it February 1st / a Zooropa type of thing ? Tour Australia / Japan / Southeast Asia (China & India) / Africa (South Africa and maybe a Uganda concert?) during the Spring. How many attended on the PopMart Tour ? 4 million? How about 10 million this time around?

It turned out that Solar was a false rumour but I liked the title and the potential images and themes on an album. I read a post somewhere that suggested a circular stage in the center. This would allow them to sell out a full stadium by having an unobstructed view of the stage from all places. So I was thinking about how there could be 4 ramps jutting out from the sides of the main stage to symbolize the sun's rays. These could be connected to an outer ring ramp (the B Stage). And Bono has his chance to run around (along the outside of) the main stage during Streets. Now we have 4 separate "heart" areas / sections surrounding the stage. I think this make a lot of fans happy! These 4 or 5 ramps could also form / symbolize a star. I believe one of the titles of a track from the ATYCLB sessions was The Sun The Moon And The Stars. Instead of the regular flat screen behind the behind - how about a huge globe suspended just above the band. Supported by a pole / anchored below the stage / emerging from the stage from just behind Larry. Video / visuals effects could be projected on it. This provides no obstructed views of it. This globe could symbolize and be used to represent the earth / the sun / and the moon. The main speakers could be like PopMart but completely circular and position above the globe. I?m thinking : - ) maybe the new album could be called Universe?

It?s the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in March of 2005 that I?m thinking about. How important it is to U2 and to U2 fans? Probably not that big of a deal. A hugely successful new album and the first ever complete World Tour would likely do the trick. Walking into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame as the Kings ? on top of the world! (With a case as the best rock band in history. The combination of a studio band and a live band. And the combination of quality and longevity). Where was the level of critical and popular success when the Rolling Stones / The Who / Led Zeplin when they were inducted? How were the albums and tours of the Rolling Stones during the 8 years prior to their induction? I just think it?d be cool to see U2 inducted while being the biggest and best in the world of not only the 80s and 90s but also of the 2000s! And not of the 2000s while ?riding into town? (the R&R Hall) on a fairly weak or mediocre album and a ?greatest hits? tour. How many songs are leftover from the ATYCLB sessions? And how many will there be from this new album? I?m just thinking that from 1998 to 2005 there will be 2 albums ? ATYCLB and the new one. A third album at the end of 2004 or early 2005 could help the case. Maybe in order to accomplish this the new album ought to be released this year ? late November or early September. I think a lesson learned from 1997 was releasing a new album and starting a world tour within 2 months. I don?t think that they need to do again the intensive Promo Tour that they did for ATYCLB. Another idea ? the new album could be a (2 CD) double album?

Also having 3 albums out between 2000-2005 can give them more breathing room for maybe 2 more albums between 2005-2010. More material for a massively successful The Best Of 2000-2010!

Last edited:
March - Album release
June/July - Tour begins in EUROPE for a change, in stadiums.
Autumn - U.S. arena leg.
Winter 2004/2005 - Rest of world
Spring 2005 - Provided that U2 are huge again, and that the demand is there, they will do a small stadium/arena tour in the U.S., to go along with their Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame induction.

If I'm wrong, may we all be horribly burnt from above somehow.

....D'OH!

I'd like to see U2 do something similar to the Stones' last tour - Stadium, arena and theater. NY City could cater to all three. While someplace, like Kansas City, for example would be a theater. U2 won't sellout a stadium here and I doubt they'd sell out an arena. They didn't last time.

The_acrobat said:
March - Album release
June/July - Tour begins in EUROPE for a change, in stadiums.
Autumn - U.S. arena leg.
Winter 2004/2005 - Rest of world
Spring 2005 - Provided that U2 are huge again, and that the demand is there, they will do a small stadium/arena tour in the U.S., to go along with their Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame induction.

If I'm wrong, may we all be horribly burnt from above somehow.

....D'OH!

they'll do someting like that...they wont tour a month after the album comes out...lets say it comes out in Febuary...they can do promo stuff from say March-May
then after a short break, they could rehurse (excuse my spelling) for a couple of days towards end of june...then kick off early-mid july

but as long as they tour in austrlia...i'll be happy :yes:

Back
Top Bottom