Madonna urges Bush to show restraint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From another article at National Review Online ( http://www.nationalreview.com/01oct01/war_lowry100101.shtml )...

"As British political thinker Michael Howard writes, 'Throughout human history mankind has been divided between those who believe that peace must be preserved, and those who believe that it must be attained.'"

I believe peace must be attained, and that peace cannot be merely preserved.

God bless Madonna and others who believe that we must not start a war, but they are delusional.

We ARE at war. Doing nothing, pretending that we are not at war, will not give us a lasting peace.

Peace is no longer with us; we cannot preserve it. We can only take it back.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

September, streets capsizing,
Spilling over, down the drain

"You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're goin' up against. By God, I do. We're not just gonna shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy...bastards by the bushel."
from the film Patton

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 09-15-2001).]

My two cents to this topic:

First, I am deeply saddened and horrified by these attacks on our American neighbours. My heart and thoughts go out to the families of the victims of this tragedy.

However, I must agree with Doctor Gonzo in his comments regarding this issue. A blanket bombing attack upon an entire nation will not stop the terrorists. I doubt that after all the media coverage already regarding the terrorists suspects that any of them are stationary. Bin Laden and his evil cohorts have probably bolted already leaving a nation of scared regular people just like you and me who dress differently, speak differently and have different beliefs. The assumption that everyone in Afghanistan and the rest of the middle east hates the west is the kind of thinking that results in acts of racism everyday around our world. This is ignorant thinking.

Those responsible for this attack should be punished severly but not by harming other innocents. Yeah, I know " they killed our innocents so that makes it ok" No, it does not! America should not lower itself to the level of these monsters. Those animals are acting as individuals and factions, not as an official branch of a country. Yes, in the short term, such devastation would satisfy some of the blood lust and need for revenge. But it would not end terrorism, just intensify it. These groups recruit young Islamic men by brainwashing them with propaganda about the evils of the west. Iraq itself is filled with young twentysomething men who have spent the last ten years starving due to economic sanctions which were supposed to encourage the people of Iraq to rise up and depose Saddam. (oops, hasn't worked yet because the people of Iraq do not have free newspapers or access to the web in every home like us) Perfect recruits for the Jihad. If the US attacks and kills innocents in the process, then this will just provide more fuel for hating America. Do not give the terrorists what they want. They want America to retaliate and cause great destruction upon a muslim state, they want more deaths of women, children, the sick, elderly. They want hate, mistrust, fear, anger. This is their way, let's not have it become our way.

The deaths of all those people will be in vain and more tragic if more innocent people die in the future. I think if there has been one positive thing from this tragedy, it is the unprecented show of support and sympathy for America from the entire world including the Middle East ( despite some images in the media of Palestinians cheering in the streets, BTW this is American propaganda since you notice their are not too many interviews with Palestinians sharing their sympathy and grief, convenient huh?) This is a perfect time to find out what Doctor Gonzo mentioned earlier regarding why anti-american sentiment exists and gain support in the middle east by showing restraint. I mean restraint in that the innocents should be left alone. The SOB's responsible for the attack should face harsh justice and the world agrees with this but the world does not need to see more innocent blood spilled. Show wisdom with this great power you have in America and you will show the world great leadership. Stay safe tonight.

------------------
You give it all but I want more

Thank you!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by speedracer:
Madonna and Saddam Hussein have both urged the US to show restraint and wisdom in their actions.

Make of this what you will. I'm just fishing here.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-15-2001).]

Racer-person you are on the right track and definitely have something here.'Birds of a feather'- 'like-minded indivuals'type cliches come to mind...but you know what? She is STILL a nice looking Whore...enuf said...

Late

DB9

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

What is wrong with RESTRAINT?? It means dont wipe out a whole country, do not lead to WWIII and the death of millions, it means RESTRAINT.

Hello, it does not f&*king mean DONT RETALIATE against those that did this. It means use RESSTRAINT, and I for one am cool with that.

ARGH

Originally posted by Red Ships of Scalla-Festa:
completely uncalled for db8. not cool.

Yeah,What part Pink Ships? lol
And Tom York would wanna know why you're sticking up for a pop star...
Listen, your mission right now is to get the Mandy/girl-goddess tape handled.Oakie Doke? Fine.

Late

diamond
bruno

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------

[This message has been edited by diamondbruno9 (edited 09-16-2001).]

Originally posted by Sledgehammer:
This is the best move Madonna has ever made after working with William Orbit.

Sledge- I whole-heartedly agree w/you."Pieces in a Modern Style" is EXCELLENT.

Great music to conversate to and fornicate to.

Mr. Diamond

------------------

---------

Originally posted by speedracer:
Madonna and Saddam Hussein have both urged the US to show restraint and wisdom in their actions.

Make of this what you will. I'm just fishing here.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-15-2001).]

LOL!!

Go Speedracer, GO!
wink.gif

I am in agreement with you I guess. Madonna is a very talented artist and yes she's a hottie. I believe she has every right to use/abuse her position to make a stand for her opinion. But at the end of the day, I'll take the opinions of George Bush and Colin Powell over Madonna. God forbid if G.W. tries to tell Madonna how to sing or writhe lyrics, she need'nt tell him how to run the country since she's unqualified to do so anyway.

sadaam hussein never bothered to offer condolonces to us when this happened. He doesn't have the moral character or human kindness to do so. The bastard is probably involved anyways. For him to spout off now trying to tell us what to do is just funny. Very sad to the poor citizens of Iraq, though.

Back
Top Bottom